Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Abolish the draft?

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar

Abolish the draft?

The more I think about it, the more I think drafts are unfair labor practices. I assume they must pass a legal test as there's been no significant challenge to them that I've heard of.

I saw someone argue for giving each team a set amount of money for the whole draft and they negotiate freely with all eligible players. I like this idea, except it would seem to invite the likelihood of hidden money under the table as ways of going over the limit and signing more top players.

http://time.com/money/3838694/nfl-dr...-labor-market/
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

I'm not sure it's an unfair labor practice. The employer is basically MLB, not the individual teams. The only unfair thing about it is the limitation on how much you can spend.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'm not sure it's an unfair labor practice. The employer is basically MLB, not the individual teams. The only unfair thing about it is the limitation on how much you can spend.

True.

These players are free to pursue opportunities in Japan or Mexico if they like. MLB is just their desired employer...

I am surprised that no one has challenged the draft on constitutional grounds . You could argue that the employer is MLB or NFL or NBA , but that can certainly be debated . Each team is an independently owned franchise . And some of them are much more desirable places to work than others . We now have free agency . There is no more reserve clause . So you can't force these guys to work for one team until that team gets rid of them . But you can still do that for a few years at first ? Telling them they can go to Japan if they don't like it doesn't sound too good . I don't know if a legal challenge would be successful , but it would be interesting .