Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garin Cecchini

Hybrid View

Garin Cecchini

I feel like once a high level (top 25) prospect gets to AA, he deserves his own thread. Cecchini fits the mold, and was promoted to AA today.

According to industry sources, Red Sox third base prospect Garin Cecchini has been told that he’s been promoted from High-A Salem to Double-A Portland. As noted in Wednesday’s minor league roundup:

The 22-year-old is hitting .350 with the second best OBP (.469) in all of minor league baseball. He has a .547 slugging mark on the strength of 28 extra-base hits, and he’s walking with much greater frequency (43 times) than he’s striking out (34). He’s been as impressive, as consistent a hitter as there’s been in the Red Sox minor league system, and so it’s time for him to move up to another level, just as was the case for Jackie Bradley Jr. when the outfielder enjoyed similar offensive dominance to Cecchini in 2012 at Salem.

Cecchini will join the Sea Dogs on their current roadtrip, meeting the team for its weekend series in Trenton; he’s slated to make his home debut in Portland on Monday.
    Cecchini seems to be the 3B version of Bradley. Promoting him to AA could be a major step in using him as a big trade piece, or he could well be the future 1B or 3B for the Sox.
    Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Re: Garin Cecchini

I really love this kid's skills and I don't think he gets talked about enough. I hope we can find a place for him on the big league team if he continues to tear up the minors like he has.
    BornToRun and Taylor Swift For King & Queen of Talksox!

Now please go ahead and introduce yourself to Taylor. We're going to get married, have 10 kids, and teach them how to dream.

I think with the depth in the IF he might be a trade chip down the road.

My hope of hopes is that he develops late power a la Youkilis and becomes a 1B.

I think he will push a .380 - .400 OBP, which, if he came up for good in 2016, would give us Bogaerts, Bradley, Pedroia, Cecchini, and Lavarnway all as very good, high OBP guys.
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Having said that I'm going to stick to my guns and predict that he and Webster get dealt for Cliff Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    Having said that I'm going to stick to my guns and predict that he and Webster get dealt for Cliff Lee.
    Oh please no.
    BornToRun and Taylor Swift For King & Queen of Talksox!

Now please go ahead and introduce yourself to Taylor. We're going to get married, have 10 kids, and teach them how to dream.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    Ugh. That would be horrible.

The sox have their ace in Buchholz for now, and while Lester has been lackluster, Lackey and Dempster have given you quality innings. The downturn is in the pen, and the sox need work there. Getting Lee would help, but if you're going to go for the biggest impact, a proven closer is where its at
    Hal sucks

Lee, like Papelbon, is a wet dream that has a near 0% chance of happening.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Lee, like Papelbon, is a wet dream that has a near 0% chance of happening.
    I'm just sticking to my guns, that's all. It probably won't happen, but I'm not going to submit to that until Aug 1

Can Cecchini close?
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Can Cecchini close?
    Better than Bailey.

Wait. Is turning a good hitting prospect into a closer the same as giving away a good hitting prospect for a closer?

Not if the closer's making 13 mill and the prospect's making minimum salary, no.
    We miss you Mike.

Brentz would be the guy to convert Guy has an absolute howitzer for an arm.

Bradley Jr was clocked at like 101 from the OF by Perfect Game. His arm is ridiculous too.