Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 55 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: 10/12 ALCS game 1 vs the Detroit kitty-cats

10/12 ALCS game 1 vs the Detroit kitty-cats

VS

This is it, boys and girls, the start of the ALCS. Those who root for teams who are playing golf or eating themselves into a stupor will look for excuses to put the Sox down. They will talk about the "superiority" of Tigers pitching. They will talk about Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder. They will talk and talk and talk. All of that talk has meant jack squat so far since the Sox have overcome absolutely every obstacle placed in front of them so far. Only 69 wins last season? Fuck that, let's lead the league this year! Two closers down? Fuck that, we got Koji. Buchholz out three months? Who cares, let's keep having excellent starting pitching AND trade for Jake Peavy.

In other words, all the Red Sox do is win........in light of this:

WIN!
    We miss you Mike.

This game will be

the

biggest sporting event

of my life so far.

I never liked the Tigers.
    We're the good guys now, trying to avenge America's A's. Lots want the Sox to win this. 20-4 beatdown the last time we met. Cmon Sox, we can do better than that.

Sox take this one, 6-2.

Jonny will start us off on a good note. Sox roll. Again.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

I thought I saw the game time for this game listed earlier in the week as a 7:07 start. Now I am seeing an 8:07 start. Is that correct, because I don't want to miss a second?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Correct: 8:07 start

So pissed I have to miss this game...

Quote Originally Posted by Navafan29 View Post
    This game will be

the

biggest sporting event

of my life so far
    explains a lot

RED SOX (97-65, 0-0 ALCS)
    Jacoby Ellsbury CF
    Shane Victorino RF
    Dustin Pedroia 2B
    David Ortiz DH
    Mike Napoli 1B
    Daniel Nava LF
    Stephen Drew SS
    Will Middlebrooks 3B
    David Ross C
    Pitching: LHP Jon Lester (15-8, 3.75; 1-0, 2.35 postseason).

What's up with Rossy catching?

The game starts at midnight where I am, so I won't be watching. I'll be expecting UN mojo to be delivering me a win tomorrow morning.

No Salty?

Quote Originally Posted by Beaneater View Post
    What's up with Rossy catching?

The game starts at midnight where I am, so I won't be watching. I'll be expecting UN mojo to be delivering me a win tomorrow morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by BornToRun View Post
    No Salty?
    Ross gets a start in Game 1 for Red Sox

Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff October 12, 2013 04:55 PM

Red Sox manager John Farrell threw a bit of a changeup today, starting David Ross at catcher instead of Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Lester threw seven strong innings against the Tigers at Fenway Park on Sept. 3 with Ross behind the plate. Lester held the Tigers to two runs on eight hits with no walks and nine strikeouts.

Ross also is 1 for 4 against Tigers starter Anibal Sanchez.

"That was definitely factored in," Farrell said. "There's some familiarity with Sanchez even though Sanchez is tougher on righties. The depth of our roster and the depth of our players has been a main contributor to our success this year and we look to take advantage of that as best we can.

"The game in early September with Jon and David pairing up, that was one of the primary reasons."

Also:

• Game 4 starter Jake Peavy is available in relief tonight. Farrell said Peavy would only be used in certain circumstances and would not be used instead of Junichi Tazawa or even Brandon Workman.

"It would have to be a specific situation," Farrell said.

• The Sox will face Cy Young Award favorite Max Scherzer in Game 2 on Sunday night. Some lineup changes could be made as a result.

Mike Napoli is 1 for 13 with five strikeouts against Scherzer and hasn’t faced him since 2012. Daniel Nava is 1 for 9 against Scherzer, 0 for 6 this season.

If the Sox make a chance, Mike Carp would play first base and Jonny Gomes left field. Carp is 2 for 8 with a walk against Scherzer and Gomes 2 for 6.

Carp and Gomes started against Scherzer on Sept. 3. Gomes was 2 for 4 and scored a run in a 2-1 victory. Carp was 0 for 3 and struck out twice.

• Xander Bogaerts is taking groundballs at third base this afternoon. That could be a sign he will start there on Sunday

• When the Red Sox scouted Jose Iglesias, they saw pretty much the same hitter they had. He'll attack early in the count if he gets a chance and will look to pull the ball. He's also inclined to bunt to for a hit.

• It's 57 degrees and foggy at Fenway Park as 5 p.m. approaches. It's going to be a chilly night at the ballpark.

Even if Nava is 1-9 against Scherzer, we know he'll put up tough AB. Scherzer is a tough match up for non contact hitters like Middlebrooks and Napoli.

I fucking wish Bogaerts get to start a game or two. Since the Tigers doesn't have any LHP starters, that's unlikely.

Ross -- .167/.273/.271/.544 against RHP.
    .182/.250/.455/.705 against Sanchez

Saltalamacchia .294/.350/.523/.873 against RHP ( no starts against Sanchez).

This one is a bit of a head scratcher.

It's not about the Ross/Sanchez matchup, it's about Ross caddying for Lester. He is the better catcher, and would've probably caught a significant portion of Lester's starts this season had he not had the concussion issue. Nothing to see here.
    We miss you Mike.