Register now to remove this ad

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: 2014 Yankees in-game thread

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Nava is one of the stupidest base runners that I have ever seen. He's right up there with Hubie Brooks-- if anyone remembers him.
    I don't remember Brooks but I have to acknowledge that smart and skillful base running is not one of Nava's skills!

Don't worry Ted. He will likely be jettisoned in the off season.

Which is too bad because a 4th or 5th outfielder or back-up 1st baseman with his hitting skills is a nice luxury to have around.

And speaking of dumb base running, did you see the boner Castillo made at first base today? I believe it was Cechini who stupidly got caught in a run down between 3rd and home after Castillo had singled , I think. Anyway, Castillo ran back to 1st instead of taking 2nd. He was thrown out by the third baseman after the tag on Ceccini.

This, to me, typifies the lack of polish and situation skills that seemingly most of the Cuban refugees suffer from.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Does Girardi get fired after this season?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Nava is one of the stupidest base runners that I have ever seen. He's right up there with Hubie Brooks-- if anyone remembers him.
    Jameel Weeks isn't too smart on the paths either. He has made three bonehead plays since he's been with us. I wonder what gives with Nava. He has come on strong with the bat since that ill fated and stupid move by Farrell to make him a leadoff man at the beginning of the season. The guy can hit righthanders and though a lot of people want him out, he is not the guy who needs to go. The inept and overmatched Bradley is the first who should be jettisoned.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I don't remember Brooks but I have to acknowledge that smart and skillful base running is not one of Nava's skills!

Which is too bad because a 4th or 5th outfielder or back-up 1st baseman with his hitting skills is a nice luxury to have around.
    I'd be very leery about just getting rid of Nava this off season. He came back very strong after that miserable start and he can hit right handed pitching very well. A nice luxury like him you try to hold onto unless he is part of a big deal to get a top notch starting pitcher. The guy that needs to go is Bradley......very quickly.

And speaking of dumb base running, did you see the boner Castillo made at first base today? I believe it was Cechini who stupidly got caught in a run down between 3rd and home after Castillo had singled , I think. Anyway, Castillo ran back to 1st instead of taking 2nd. He was thrown out by the third baseman after the tag on Ceccini.

This, to me, typifies the lack of polish and situation skills that seemingly most of the Cuban refugees suffer from.
    Cuban ballplayers are not dumb but they do seem to lack those situational skills you talk about. What I've seen very recently is that Castillo looks like he is getting good and locked in and with Cespedes talking about free agency after next season we need to hold onto Rusney like a vise. Spring Training is the time for the coaching staff to stress and work on base running skills Spud, and if Farrell decides to run a real camp next March instead of the farce he directed this past Spring Castillo can be brought up to date. He is looking better with every game and so is Cecchini, another lunk head on the bases today, as well as Brentz who has hit well the past three games. Very carefully must the front office and coaching staff make personnel decisions this winter. They must pick the right players and get rid of those that don't fit in one way or another. Give Castillo, Cecchini, Brentz and Betts a lot of room next Spring and we may get a very pleasant surprise.

We'll see how "stupid" the farewell tour is when Ortiz has his next yr. Also, these "farewell tours" raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for their charities. In the end, it's a good thing.

Its an undignified casdh grab that detracts from the purpose of the team.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I'm sick of the idolatry. Jeter did nothing spectacular. He played baseball.

Nava will be back. We need some left-handed bats.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Does Girardi get fired after this season?
    Absolutely not. He did pretty good considering the backfired offseason moves and the injuries to the starting rotation. This is on the Yankee FO.

Girardi is gonna get an extension. This team had no business being above .500. We lost 80% of our starting rotation for a period of 2-3 months or more apiece. Our #6 lost 3 months as well. The funny thing is, the FO operated brilliantly from opening day until now. Their pre-season and off-season acquisitions were what killed us
    Hal sucks