Thread: 2014 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Palodios View Post
    My predicted roster:

Rotation -- Lester/Hamels/Kelly/Buchholz/RDLR
    Bullpen -- Koji/Tazawa/Miller/Mujica/Layne/Barnes/Workman

Outfield -- Castillo, Cespedes, Betts
    Infield -- Napoli, Pedroia, Bogaerts, Sandoval, Russell Martin, Ortiz
    Bench -- Nava, Victorino, Vazquez, Holt

The starting pitching is reloaded. The lineup will be much deeper with acquisitions of Martin and Sandoval.The bullpen won't provide many new faces, but adding Workman and Barnes to the mix will be a big boost for the team, since they seem far more productive in that role.
    Rusney just scares the hell out of me. He hasn't had much solid contact in his first 21 at bats. He has been swining through pitches and hitting a ton of weak grounders. I know its only 21 at bats and I would be ok with this start if he raked in cuba. But since he didn't I'm very scared. If Cespedes had a better average in cuba and way more power and he has turned into a .260 hitter who can hit you around 25 hrs, this guy could legitimately be a .240 hitter. I hope he pans out but I am scared he will flop.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPapi View Post
    Rusney just scares the hell out of me. He hasn't had much solid contact in his first 21 at bats. He has been swining through pitches and hitting a ton of weak grounders. I know its only 21 at bats and I would be ok with this start if he raked in cuba. But since he didn't I'm very scared. If Cespedes had a better average in cuba and way more power and he has turned into a .260 hitter who can hit you around 25 hrs, this guy could legitimately be a .240 hitter. I hope he pans out but I am scared he will flop.
    Just like when I called Bogaerts a potential choker and got reamed for it---and turned out to be right by the way, I raised an alarm about Castillo. Prune Face was more than anxious to panic and give a $72.5 million contract to a guy who hadn't played much baseball in the previous two years, and you were right, he is not as good as Cespedes, nor Abreu, nor Puig, nor Solar. We may have gotten the runt of the litter. Now he hasn't had that many at-bats, but when you missed all the ball he's missed for the past two years you wonder how long it will be until he gets his timing down and starts hitting. Keep a eye on this in winter. We may have struck gold in the long run but we might have also have gotten a pile of rocks from Zeke Hardy's cow pasture as well. We'll see.

Deity
    Are they gonna go after that japanese pitcher? I want lester back for the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Just like when I called Bogaerts a potential choker and got reamed for it---and turned out to be right by the way, I raised an alarm about Castillo. Prune Face was more than anxious to panic and give a $72.5 million contract to a guy who hadn't played much baseball in the previous two years, and you were right, he is not as good as Cespedes, nor Abreu, nor Puig, nor Solar. We may have gotten the runt of the litter. Now he hasn't had that many at-bats, but when you missed all the ball he's missed for the past two years you wonder how long it will be until he gets his timing down and starts hitting. Keep a eye on this in winter. We may have struck gold in the long run but we might have also have gotten a pile of rocks from Zeke Hardy's cow pasture as well. We'll see.
    You do realize that Bogaerts has 16 RBI in his 21 G in September, right? He's hitting .317 and slugging .512.

He's certainly turned a corner and appears to be much more comfortable in the box. Maybe hit a little reset button since he had his concussion. Either way, certainly a promising step forward and something you can build on.

You were way, way, way too early to write this guy off.
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

The Phillies are in desperate need of salary relief, and the Red Sox have some extra money. I am toying with Hamels, Papelbon, and Carlos Ruiz for Swihart, Eduardo and Trey Ball.

Beltre has arguably been a top 5 player in all of the MLB since his time with the Red Sox, so I doubt the Rangers trade him at a reasonable price.
    I think Swihart, Ball, Eduardo, and taking on Papelbon is an enormous price for Hamels and Ruiz. Enormous. And they were asking for Seager, Pederson, and Urias from the Dodgers.

The Phillies need prospects way more than salary relief. Way, way more.

As for the package for Beltre, that's a pretty damn big package for a player with 1 year plus a mutual option left on his deal (Eduardo/Owens + Ranaudo + Cecchini)
    Also we have to trade Bogaerts and Bradley while they still have some interest from other teams. They are lemons. Are you aware that X is hitting less than 130 with RISP. As I said in April we could have a choker on our hands. I will say this August....WE DO HAVE A CHOKER ON OUR HANDS.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    You do realize that Bogaerts has 16 RBI in his 21 G in September, right? He's hitting .317 and slugging .512.

He's certainly turned a corner and appears to be much more comfortable in the box. Maybe hit a little reset button since he had his concussion. Either way, certainly a promising step forward and something you can build on.

You were way, way, way too early to write this guy off.
    Maybe or or maybe Septemmber performances mean nothing. I learned that lesson many years ago when I purchased a bunch of Kevin Maas baseball cards.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Rusney is not looking too hot. Hopefully, he is just shaking off some rust. It would be a nightmare if he and Bradley ended up forming some sub-Mendoza line platoon next season. LOL!! Seriously, if Rusney is a bust, the organization will need to clearout the scouting and talent development operations. They would be much better off hiring our Doji.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by SoxFanForsyth View Post
    I think Swihart, Ball, Eduardo, and taking on Papelbon is an enormous price for Hamels and Ruiz. Enormous. And they were asking for Seager, Pederson, and Urias from the Dodgers.

The Phillies need prospects way more than salary relief. Way, way more.
    The phillies need both. I don't think they trade Hamels unless they get a real package for him. All three of the players coming back to the Red Sox are actually productive, thus why they would trade for them. Ruiz, and Hamels seem like great fits here. Papelbon would be interesting to say the least.

Shit on Martin!!!!! We have our best prospect Blake Swihart only a year or so away from giving us a solid catcher who switch hits with power and projects as a solid hitter as well. He must not be blocked. Let Martin go elsewhere----and let's hope the Red Sox don't keep making mistakes in personnel. Betts must stay and they must find a spot for Holt. The latter needs to be in the lineup. AND BRADLEY MUST GO....FAST!!!!!!
    You were talking about Bradley the same way you are talking about Swihart just a year ago. This organization needs backup plans for its prized prospects.

Maybe or or maybe Septemmber performances mean nothing. I learned that lesson many years ago when I purchased a bunch of Kevin Maas baseball cards.
    I think the September performances thing is only partially true. It makes sense to be a little skeptical about September numbers, especially when you get into real garbage time like these final series with the Rays and Yanks where everybody's eliminated.

But I would much rather see a guy hitting in September like Bogaerts, instead of continuing to flail like Bradley.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think the September performances thing is only partially true. It makes sense to be a little skeptical about September numbers, especially when you get into real garbage time like these final series with the Rays and Yanks where everybody's eliminated.

But I would much rather see a guy hitting in September like Bogaerts, instead of continuing to flail like Bradley.
    Agreed. Hitting is always better than not hitting, unless it is against your team's pitching. That said, I still don't think that he is a good SS. He needs to improve his lateral movement on balls up the middle and he needs to get better at charging balls.

Agreed. Hitting is always better than not hitting, unless it is against your team's pitching. That said, I still don't think that he is a good SS. He needs to improve his lateral movement on balls up the middle and he needs to get better at charging balls.
    Yup, exactly. And he seems to have a problem getting rid of the ball quick enough too.

Most of his deficiencies can be overcome with practice. His range will be limited by his size and speed.

I think that he will continue to improve but I seriously doubt that he will ever be anything much more than an average defender at SS.

Let's hope that he can produce at the plate!!

[QUOTE=Palodios;932043]The phillies need both. I don't think they trade Hamels unless they get a real package for him. All three of the players coming back to the Red Sox are actually productive, thus why they would trade for them. Ruiz, and Hamels seem like great fits here. Papelbon would be interesting to say the least.[/QUOTE]

Beware of the ancient Chinese curse which says, "May you live in interesting times."

[QUOTE=Elktonnick;932050]
    The phillies need both. I don't think they trade Hamels unless they get a real package for him. All three of the players coming back to the Red Sox are actually productive, thus why they would trade for them. Ruiz, and Hamels seem like great fits here. Papelbon would be interesting to say the least.[/QUOTE]

Beware of the ancient Chinese curse which says, "May you live in interesting times."
    Worst case scenario, he sucks or is a problem, and they cut him. His option doesn't vest unless he finishes 49 more games in 2015. If Koji is retiring, I have no problem getting the second best option for 1/15.

Deity
    I dont want papelbum here.He had his time here.