Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Let the Swihart watch begin

Threaded View

So with the injury to Vazquez, I decided to do some digging and figure out who our next highest catching prospect was.

So I dug.

And I dug.

And I dug.

We have no catching prospects other than Swihart in our top 20 according to Soxprospects.com. Hmm.

Also true that we have no other catching prospects in our top 40. Oh dear.

I had to go all the way down to #57. Our 57th best prospect in the Red Sox system is a catcher by the name of Romanski. He's 24 and played last year in high A ball with no particular distinction and not much chance of rapid promotion frrom A ball, much less actually getting all the way to the majors.

That's our next guy among actual prospects (as opposed to MLFA's and AAA depth) behind the big two.

Checking last year's draft, we did draft 2 catchers who aren't ranked yet that probably will be.

Ben Moore profiles as Ryan Lavarnway without the power, he's a college C/OF who's going to try to stick at catcher fulltime mostly because his bat doesn't justify a big league signing bonus as an outfielder. there's a chance, but looks more like a backup with a bit of versatility than a real starting catcher option.

The other guy, Procyshen, I have absolutely no idea about because there just seems to be no info about his defense at all and he's only had 80 or so plate appearances in A ball.

Might just want to see about drafting another catcher or two, Mr. Cherington.
    Last edited by Dojji; 03-29-2015 at 11:45 AM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.