Register now to remove this ad

Page 51 of 166 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the actual rotation the worst in the last 10 Y?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    As Lee gets older and older, I don't see the point in bringing him in.
    For one year and with this group? I see it.
    We miss you Mike.

Me neither. I do not think he will stay healthy a full season again.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

You can't say in the same breath that you don't expect Lee to stay healthy one season then say that you think the most overworked starter since 2007 will hold up through a 4-year deal. Be consistent.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    In what universe would Lee cost a top prospect, and how is a one year deal (albeit at a possibly very high price) comparable to a 4-year deal? That makes no sense.
    We are talking about Amaro, right? Dude's head is in the clouds. Of course he wants a top prospect. My guess is he won't move Lee until trading deadline at earliest if at all.

I think Shields has enough gas to last 4 or even 5 more years at good level. On the other hand Lee is already sin gas y de bajada.
    Last edited by iortiz; 02-11-2015 at 12:59 PM.

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

We are talking about Amaro, right? Dude's head is in the clouds. Of course he wants a top prospect. My guess is he won't move Lee until trading deadline at earliest if at all.
    If they can get him at the TDL for cheaper and he's producing, i'd wait. Again, this is a scenario that depends on whether they actually need to make a move. For all we know, the rotation could be good and Owens could fill it out come mid-season.
    We miss you Mike.

Moving up Owens would be a better idea than Lee.

If Lee is producing (which I doubt it) and P is out of playoffs, I think several teams will be interested on him and pushing... my position if I were Amaro, would be wanting a top prospect, no doubt.

Well one can easily see your point.

Lee could prove to be nothing more than a very expensive Schmoltz.

The key is not what the Sox give up for him or how much he is paid so much as it is exactly what kind of health the guy is in. It may be wishful thinking that at his age he could resume career form. On the other hand, if he is healthy he could be a reliable 6-7 inning per start guy.

I say that if the Sox trust the physicals and evaluations than it is a reasonable risk to take.

^ This. "Reasonable risk" is what i'm going for here.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    ^ This. "Reasonable risk" is what i'm going for here.
    Of course.

We all go ga ga over big name signings like Panda and Hanley. But "risky" moves are always part of the roster construction process.

This is the type of move that could really make a difference to the team this year. Even if it is only for half of a season.

It's that 12.5 million buyout that makes Lee's contract extra scary. If he gets injured you could end up paying him 37.5 million for a year or less. From everything I've read that 12.5 million is guaranteed money. He either gets that or he gets a second year at 25 million if he reaches 200 innings and his option vests.

If he is producing, I do not see any risk for the rest of 2015 after the TD. As I said, If he is producing, I see a lot of teams pushing and offering top value. The 1000 M question would be what would the FO be willing to give up for Lee?...

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    It's that 12.5 million buyout that makes Lee's contract extra scary. If he gets injured you could end up paying him 37.5 million for a year or less. From everything I've read that 12.5 million is guaranteed money. He either gets that or he gets a second year at 25 million if he reaches 200 innings and his option vests.
    I'd rather risk the big hit for one year than 1-2 years of improductivity and dead money from Shields, or paying Scherzer until we land on the moon.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Well... if that is the case I will not even look him as a possibility.