Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Books about sports

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    A book about the Red Sox that I hated was Shut Out. I only read two chapters, which were some of the worst writing I ever encountered. The same piece of information was given ten times. I was very disappointed because I hoped it would be a good account of the Sox's troubled history regarding race.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    A book about the Red Sox that I hated was Shut Out. I only read two chapters, which were some of the worst writing I ever encountered. The same piece of information was given ten times. I was very disappointed because I hoped it would be a good account of the Sox's troubled history regarding race.
    I know where you're coming from on that one NS because there is a book that pisses me off royally. It is "One Day at Fenway" and it witnesses a game between the Yankees and Red Sox......and the effen Yankees win that game. What a miserable waste of time reading that pile of crap. You write about a day at Fenway, it should be about a game the Red Sox won, not the other team. I did like reading "Blood Feud", "Dynasty", "Idiots Revisited" and "Francona". There are a lot of good books about our team but strangely enough not one about the 2013 team. It is like it's taken for granted that enough has been written about Red Sox WS Title teams. Well, there's never enough and there should definitely be one on the 2013 team.

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    I know where you're coming from on that one NS because there is a book that pisses me off royally. It is "One Day at Fenway" and it witnesses a game between the Yankees and Red Sox......and the effen Yankees win that game. What a miserable waste of time reading that pile of crap. You write about a day at Fenway, it should be about a game the Red Sox won, not the other team. I did like reading "Blood Feud", "Dynasty", "Idiots Revisited" and "Francona". There are a lot of good books about our team but strangely enough not one about the 2013 team. It is like it's taken for granted that enough has been written about Red Sox WS Title teams. Well, there's never enough and there should definitely be one on the 2013 team.
    It bugs the shit out of me that all the Yankees Classics on YES are wins. Well of course, no one wants to see a game again that they lost, but it would be nice for them to be big enough to acknowledge a classic game for just being a classic game.

I was gonna buy Now I Can Die in Peace until I remembered Bill Simmons is on the 30 for 30 about the 2004 ALCS and comes across as a huge douche.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Anyone read Red Sox Fans are from Mars, Yankees Fans are from Uranus?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Pete Rose: An American Dilemma by Kostya Kennedy was an interesting book.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...om_search=true

Yes that was an excellent book - The Teammates by David Halberstam. The PawSox had on on field reunion with those guys before Pesky passed away, it was quite a scene. I believe it was around the time the Triple A All Star game was at McCoy.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I have forgotten the title but the book dealing with the trip taken by Pesky. D. Dimaggio, and Doer to visit Ted one last time was also a classic for any Sox fan.

There doesn't seem to be a good history of the Bruins. In fact there doesn't appear to be any (comprehensive) history of the Bruins.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

and on that note, the hockey book fare as offered on Amazon is pretty sparse. Lots of books, but a lot of chaff with little wheat.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by seabeachfred View Post
    Completely idiotic to showcase the home team's stadium for a game they lost.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by gojohn99 View Post
    Pete Rose: An American Dilemma by Kostya Kennedy was an interesting book.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...om_search=true
    I hope the commissioner lifts Pete Rose's Hall of Fame ban. Five minutes after Pete Rose dies.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

I bought a book called Before The Curse. There are two with that title, one about the Red Sox and the one I got, which is about the Cubs 1870s to 1945. Luckily I didn't pay full price, because it's just a collection of historical newspaper reports and articles with very little in the way of a write-up linking them.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Anyone reading Pedro's book? Any good? It'll be on my list when it comes out in paperback.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

I read The Rocket That Fell to Earth - pretty good biography, though the author made his agenda show through instead of being neutral. Also read Amazin' the history of the Mets. That had a bunch of pieces from various people associated with the formation of the franchise and players through the years which made it even more interesting.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Just read A Nice Little Place on the North Side by George F Will. It was reasonably entertaining and informative, but lacked any real structure (the book is loosely ordered by the timeline of the park, but jumps around too). What surprised me was just a passing comment about superstition, and nothing about the goat, which is one of the biggest parts of Cubs lore, or the black cat, for that matter.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

I just read Base-Ball by John Montgomery Ward. It's fascinating to see that in 1888 they had most of the lingo and theory of baseball down already. Nice quick read that sums up the basic aspects of the game, including the function of each position.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win