Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Books about sports

  1. #31
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    43,280
    If you like math nerdy baseball history books, The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs is out there...

  2. #32
    "Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12,155
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If you like math nerdy baseball history books, The Year Babe Ruth Hit 104 Home Runs is out there...
    Trying to remember if I've bought/read this. It's sad that I need Amazon to remind me.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  3. #33
    "Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12,155
    Just read Pedro's book. Always sad when you discover how flawed your heroes are. In this case, the gigantic ego, the hypersensitivity to being "disrespected" by organizations, people and fans, and on the flip side, not always giving respect where it's due.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  4. #34
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    48,321
    RIP Dan Jenkins, author of Semi-Tough and Dead Solid Perfect and numerous other sports books fictional and non-fictional.

    Semi-Tough came out in 1972 and became a bestseller. It was a 'raunchy comedy' about football that was made into a movie with Burt Reynolds and Kris Kristofferson.

    Interestingly, in 1973, another novel about football came out, North Dallas Forty. This was written by Peter Gent, an actual ex-member of the Dallas Cowboys, and it was also a bestseller and a much darker tale than the Jenkins book. It was also made into a movie with (note the parallels) Nick Nolte and Mac Davis.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

  5. #35
    "Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12,155
    Playing Through the Whistle by S.L. Price is a fine read about a Pennsylvania mill town, the brutal hold the mill had on the workers during the 20s and 30s, and how football became an integral part of the town culture.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  6. #36
    "Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12,155
    Papi: My Story was a big disappointment. It's thinly written, covering the expected topics, but with precious little detail or insight. It's also jumbled up - launches right into his minor leagues career, then in the second half of the book you find out a few scant details about his childhood. At several moments, I was frustrated as something is dealt with in a couple of paragraphs and I'm saying "but how did that make you FEEL?" Pedro's book mentioned his feeling about being called up to the majors, for instance. Nothing from Ortiz, it was just something that happened. "This is our fucking city!" was a watershed moment, but he just says he felt like he screwed up, but some cops on the field high fived him, and then we're onto the next topic.

    Also, while he's a legend in Boston, crying about money and Theo won't endear him more to a lot of fans.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  7. #37
    "Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12,155
    Read Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx is Burning recently. Fantastic, even if the main plot is about the MF Yankees. It's about Reggie Jackson's 1977 season, and also goes into the NYC blackout and the search for Son of Sam.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  8. #38
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    68,100
    "High Above Courtside: the Lost Memoires of Johnny Most" was a good read from what I remember. I'm not huge into sports books though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

  9. #39
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    43,280
    One I read a long time ago but liked was “Out of Control”, which was the autobiography of former Dallas linebacker Thomas “Hollywood” Henderson. As the title suggests, lots and lots of drug use to the point where he claims to have snorted cocaine on the field during the Super Bowl

  10. #40
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    43,280
    Now that I think of it “The Ballad of the Whiskey Robber” might be the best sports book I’ve ever read, if you consider the true story of a Romanian D-League hockey player turned drunken bank robber to be a sports book…

  11. #41
    "Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12,155
    The Best Team Money Can Buy by Molly Knight about the current Dodgers' ownership was a good read. Never realized what a total douche Frank McCourt is, and his ex-wife wasn't much better.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  12. #42
    TalkSox Ascended Master mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    68,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    The Best Team Money Can Buy by Molly Knight about the current Dodgers' ownership was a good read. Never realized what a total douche Frank McCourt is, and his ex-wife wasn't much better.
    I lived out in LA when McCourt was the owner. He was a complete asshat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

  13. #43
    "Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    12,155
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I lived out in LA when McCourt was the owner. He was a complete asshat.
    Now reading a book about the 70s Oakland As, and Finley sounds like a real douchebag, too.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

    Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

  14. #44
    Deity
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10,517
    Just finished reading Joe Posnanski's The Baseball Top 100. It was a lengthy journey but well worth the time. Brought back the times when all i thought about was baseball and how much I loved the game. Some amazing stories in there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •