Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PawSox Moving to Providence

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    It seems that the City of Providence is convinced that with the new stadium being visible from I 95 that more interest will be stirred which will lead to increased revenues for restaurants and other downtown businesses. Before anyone here who loves to claim that they know more about this type of stuff than I do say anything really stupid or really smart, know that I heard these things straight from the horses asses, the Major of Providence and the new President of the Pawsox.

I'm sure that some people will be making money off of this. I doubt that it will be the "little man".

Talk is that a plot of land along "the river" just south of downtown will be selected with hopes of having the right field fence abut the river thus creating a potential McCovy Cove type deal with dopes in kayaks paddling around trying to retrieve balls. This is a disgusting idea. Anyone who has seen that water would agree.

But hey, it's the City that Buddy built!!!!!!! This is progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MVP is exactly right. The new stadium will lead to more expensive seating and paid parking.

McCoy currently averages over 9000 patrons each game. This is a poor city surrounded by poor suburban areas. This is NOT BOSTON and NOT EASTERN MASSACHUSETTS.

The Providence Red Sox will not be able to draw much more even with a shiny new stadium.

And now most of the sleazy strip clubs in the south of Providence will have to move!!!! The horror!!!
    Are you talking about the area that is across the highway from the hospital district? On the way to TF Green. McCoy is old and in need of updates but is accessible and a great place to take your family. Just good fun. I had much rather see a game in Portland or Pawtucket than Fenway. I will say this that for a city that is poor, they have some of the finest colleges, golf courses, and restaurants in the east. There still are many many wealthy individuals in the area.

I think it's supposed to be in the 195 land that they've tried to develop forever. There's nothing over there but urban blight right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think it's supposed to be in the 195 land that they've tried to develop forever. There's nothing over there but urban blight right now.
    If it is where I think they are talking about, it looks about as dirty and rough as you can get.

Minor league franchises move frequently. The PawSox owner died so the team was going to be sold in any case. A new owner could have packed the team up and moved to any number of cities. Richmond lost its triple A team and its park looked very similar to MCoy and may have been a bit newer. The people of Rhode Island are lucky some one is willing to keep the team in that dysfunctional state.The team could have ended up in a number of towns outside of Rhode Island. BTW Minor league agreements with clubs also change frequently so it isn't written in stone that the Pawtucket franchise if sold to another buyer who moved it out of state would still be the Red Sox triple A affiliate. That's why it is a good thing they want to move to Providence and not Hartford Conn, just to pick a city out of a hat. Rhode Islanders should count their blessings, they don't have that many.

The stadium in Richmond looks like McCoy did 20 years ago but they don't compare now. That stadium (The Diamond) can't compete these days.
    Last edited by mvp 78; 02-24-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The stadium in Richmond looks like McCoy did 20 years ago but they don't compare now. That stadium (The Diamond) can't compete these days.
    My point was the Braves left Richmond for the same reason the Red Sox are leaving Pawtucket, a new stadium. Richmond was unwilling to accommodate the Braves so after fifty years Richmond lost its International League team. After the Braves left, the city made significant upgrades to the ballpark putting in 3000 new seats but the site is still not a desirable one. So now Richmond has the Giants Double A team. I see the same series of events in Pawtucket.

"The new owners said they decided to move the team to Providence because making improvements to McCoy Stadium in Pawtucket would be expensive. The stadium was built in 1942 and renovated in the late 90s.
    “The problem is the infrastructure isn’t there anymore,” Skeffington said. “Times have changed, ballparks have changed.”

The only difference the new ownership wants to keep them in Rhode Island choosing Providence. Minor leagues fans should be happy that Rhode Island will still have a Red Spx minor league team. BTW Richmond last year led the Eastern league in attendance.
    Last edited by Elktonnick; 02-24-2015 at 04:25 PM.

I saw a TV report that said they want a site that is by the intersection of Ship St and Eddy St which is north of 195 and the Point St bridge. Not as bad of a location as I was thinking previously.