Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Prospect Mega Thread

Deity
    Hernandez = .330 with 3 more hits last night.

Do we need a SS? Xander seems to be kinda ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Do we need a SS? Xander seems to be kinda ok.
    I think that maybe you are missing my point. I'm pretty sure Hernandez will never play in Boston because he is a ss. In terms of being a "prospect", you can call him fringe if you like. There is no one having a better year than he is in either Pawtucket or Portland. I don't consider that fringe. Margot may become what people think he might. He hasn't just yet. Hernandez is tradeable along with Margot. That is the point - that and I was a little surprised that people had not even heard of the player having the beat season for our franchise at both the AAA and AA levels.

Deity
    Man this Hernandez kid just doesn't get it. He is a non-legit prospect. He is so far behind the chosen few, that he isn't even on the radar screen. Maybe we will just wind up having to keep him. Leading the league in hitting. 2 for 2 in the All-Star game last night including a dinger. All-Star game MVP! Damn lucky season for this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Man this Hernandez kid just doesn't get it. He is a non-legit prospect. He is so far behind the chosen few, that he isn't even on the radar screen. Maybe we will just wind up having to keep him. Leading the league in hitting. 2 for 2 in the All-Star game last night including a dinger. All-Star game MVP! Damn lucky season for this guy!
    I thought that the people that criticize us old folk are all about stats, because they don't think we can understand the numbers? The numbers are favoring this kid enough for him to get selected to the All zstar game where he won the MVP, but people are pooh poohing him because of his draft position and some scouting evaluations. Am I getting this right? He wouldn't be the first late round draft choice to defy the odds.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

What the hell are you even talking about? You're the first person to shit on non-prospects(and even some legitimate ones) regardless of how well they do on a given year. I understand CP's enthusiasm for the kid (though I don't share it) but you're just being a hypocrite and a baiting douchebag. Cut that shit out.
    We miss you Mike.

Legend
    I thought that the people that criticize us old folk are all about stats, because they don't think we can understand the numbers? The numbers are favoring this kid enough for him to get selected to the All zstar game where he won the MVP, but people are pooh poohing him because of his draft position and some scouting evaluations. Am I getting this right? He wouldn't be the first late round draft choice to defy the odds.
    Pooh pooing? Who's doing that ... now his .832 OPS for the first half in Portland is almost 100 points higher than his OPS at any level of full season baseball to date, so the Fluke Rule is very much in play. But he deserves to be an Eastern League All-Star, without a doubt. It does not speak to his prospect value of course, as Rick Lancellotti would attest.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Pooh pooing? Who's doing that ... now his .832 OPS for the first half in Portland is almost 100 points higher than his OPS at any level of full season baseball to date, so the Fluke Rule is very much in play. But he deserves to be an Eastern League All-Star, without a doubt. It does not speak to his prospect value of course, as Rick Lancellotti would attest.
    You are trying to apply logic where logic need not apply.
    We miss you Mike.

Legend
    Keith Law Updated Top 50 ... http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keit...r/post?id=4096

#8. Rafael Devers

The ball flies off Devers' bat, and for a player his size, he's quite agile at third base, also possessing a plus arm. He's only 18 -- younger than seven of the 12 high-school players taken in the first round of last month's Rule 4 (amateur) draft -- yet is already performing reasonably well in low-A.
    #11 Yoan Moncada

It took a while for Moncada to shake off the rust, but his at-bats have improved the past two weeks (small sample size caveats apply) and he's starting to perform more in line with expectations. He's very physical, with power potential from both sides of the plate, showing a better, more direct swing from the left side that should produce more contact and higher-quality contact as well. He's a former shortstop but projects as an above-average defender at second base, where the Red Sox have played him all season, with the possibility he could handle third base as well.
    #14 Manuel Margot

Scouts absolutely adore Margot -- more than one has told me he'd put Margot ahead of Devers and Moncada in Boston's system -- not just because of his tools but because of his instincts, with Margot potentially a plus-plus defender in center who has an excellent eye at the plate. He's already in Double-A and performing well even though he won't turn 21 until after the minor league season ends.
    #37 Henry Owens

Owens has tremendous deception and a grade-70 changeup, but had control woes early in the season, which is trouble for any pitcher but perhaps a little worse for a guy with an average to slightly above-average fastball. He has been throwing more strikes of late, with just 10 walks in his last six starts (40 innings), and should be next in line when a rotation spot opens in Boston.
    #48 Javier Guerra

Guerra is the best prospect to come out of Panama since Carlos Lee, a true shortstop with incredibly easy actions at the position and more potential with the bat than I think even the Red Sox realized when they signed him for $250,000 in 2012. He's a below-average runner, but it doesn't limit his defensive value in any way, while at the plate his main issue is recognizing pitches from left-handers, who've eaten him for lunch so far this year.

Deity
    SK - there were a number of posters who didn't even know who Hernandez is. They have no credibility with me. They don't follow them they just spit out someone else opinions about prospects. I don't claim to know any more than anyone else about these kids but I am very results oriented. A lot of these guys come wrapped in pretty packages. I tend to like the guys who produce whether or not they come with glowing accolades. I truly acknowledge that the people doing the scouting and the ones crunching the numbers are very talented. I just absolutely believe that on occasion they are human and get too hung up in of the "potential" talk just like the rest of us. I do appreciate your posts. I guess I really don't know what a player has to do to tun the heads of the talent searching gurus. Could Hernandez fall flat from here on in? Of course but as of today, no "prospect" is outplaying him at any level.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    What the hell are you even talking about? You're the first person to shit on non-prospects(and even some legitimate ones) regardless of how well they do on a given year. I understand CP's enthusiasm for the kid (though I don't share it) but you're just being a hypocrite and a baiting douchebag. Cut that shit out.

I am enthusiastic about this kid but no more than I would be for any minor league player who is having a great season and deserves the "love". I don't know if he will ever truly make it but based on everything I have seen and read, no one else does either. Maybe the Boss was right when he said "believe half of what you hear and none of what you see"!

What are you even talking about? This is a serious question. The argument initially hinged on whether Hernandez was valuable as part of a trade package. What was talked about was industry views and projectability. You are taking what people say and essentially making up a conclusion all by yourself. Just because you're "results oriented" doesn't mean that when discussing a kid as part of a trade another team is going to want him as part of a package because he's hitting well right now. There are several concepts regarding project valuations that you purposefully skip on, yet have the gall to talk about "credibility". What credibility? We're just a bunch of people killing time on a message board. However, you could try to be more informed in your arguments, and not come up with lame-duck arguments like this one.
    We miss you Mike.

Hey U.N., drop dead.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity

I just understand results. When I was coaching, I did not cut the best players. I always preferred those who got it done to those who someone thought might get it done.

Deity
    Keith Law Updated Top 50 ... http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keit...r/post?id=4096

#8. Rafael Devers

#11 Yoan Moncada

#14 Manuel Margot

#37 Henry Owens

#48 Javier Guerra

Hey - good list - my personal opinion - Guerra would currently move up this list until he gets to a level that he stalls out at. I like him a lot. Based on what he has done this year, he must not play against many lefties.