Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf

I've always found the Players to be kind of a strange tournament. Supposedly it has the strongest field of any tournament. Over the years there have been calls to make it the 5th major championship, but it looks like that ain't happening, so it has to settle for being the biggest non-major. The winner gets a 10-year tour exemption, I believe, which is a huge prize.

What makes this tournament weird is the last two holes, especially the 17th-the island green par 3. This hole has been heavily criticized over the years for being unfair and worse-for being a complete gimmick, rinky-dink, Mickey Mouse. Yesterday the pin was on the back of the green. Ernie Els hit a tee shot that landed a few feet from the hole, but it bounced hard and trickled off the back into the water. Re-load, big guy.

The 18th hole is a beast too, a long par 4 with water all down the left side that the fairway curls around. In the first round I saw Tiger Woods and Adam Scott, playing in the same group, both hook their tee shots a bit, both into the drink.

If you like watching pros hit it in the drink, this tournament is for you. You'll see more balls in the water than at a nudist beach on a ninety-degree day.

And guess who's in contention? Rickie!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    And guess who's in contention? Rickie!!!!!!!
    I'd like to see Rickie win. He's due for a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I'd like to see Rickie win. He's due for a win.
    Being as young as I am, he's been part of my influence on the game.

Yeah, he has a lot of young followers, right down to little kids. He's definitely good for the game.

Deity
    Glad you follow this game- hope you play. Great job Rickie. Another one who is good for the game. This will never be a 5th major- the field makes the cut but the course does not.

I do play, and have for 3 years now. I hope this will be my "breakout year," as I'm finally becoming a member at the course right down the street, hoping to spend many summer days there. I was pulling for Rickie the whole way, and am glad to see him win. Sergio's prone to choking. I walked the final two holes inside the ropes with him at the Travelers Championship last year (My hometown event at which I also volunteer), and he lost by one after holding a lead much of the day. I'll remember that moment forever though, since he is the most well-known start besides Bubba to play here... so far since I've been a volunteer. Hopefully Spieth shows up in the near future.

Deity
    I do play, and have for 3 years now. I hope this will be my "breakout year," as I'm finally becoming a member at the course right down the street, hoping to spend many summer days there. I was pulling for Rickie the whole way, and am glad to see him win. Sergio's prone to choking. I walked the final two holes inside the ropes with him at the Travelers Championship last year (My hometown event at which I also volunteer), and he lost by one after holding a lead much of the day. I'll remember that moment forever though, since he is the most well-known start besides Bubba to play here... so far since I've been a volunteer. Hopefully Spieth shows up in the near future.
    My guess is that you are talking Hartford. A great course to see some low scores. Golf course is a great place for any young person to work if you are looking for any kind of summer job. it is a fresh air game that requires a tremendous amount of practice to improve. The right kind of practice. Good luck. Complete your backswing and stay with the shot!

Rickie won in spectacular fashion, huh? He owns that crazy 17th hole like nobody else. He's never put one in the water there, and this week he played it 6 times and birdied it 5 of them. Incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    My guess is that you are talking Hartford. A great course to see some low scores. Golf course is a great place for any young person to work if you are looking for any kind of summer job. it is a fresh air game that requires a tremendous amount of practice to improve. The right kind of practice. Good luck. Complete your backswing and stay with the shot!
    Indeed I am. I live about 25 minutes from Hartford, and 35 from Cromwell, the town that the tournament is in. I'm off to the east, next to Glastonbury and Manchester if you've ever heard of any big CT towns.

I applied for a job at the course down the street (not the same one) while I become a member at the other one. Should be a great summer.

Deity
    It's the British Open. Spieth off to a great start!

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    It's the British Open. Spieth off to a great start!
    There's going to be some wild weather for this one.

You can't bet against Spieth right now. Nice to see Dustin Johnson get off to a good start too.

Besides Spieth and Johnson, other guys I liked going into this - most are obvious.

Rickie Fowler
    Henrik Stenson
    Justin Rose
    Louis Oosthuizen (won here in 2010)
    Paul Casey (runner-up here in 2010)
    Luke Donald - dark horse pick

Deity
    All great picks. A great tribute for Tom Watson as well.

Great day for golf. Jason Day wins the PGA for his first major. Canadian Brooke Henderson wins by 8 strokes for her first LPGA win.