Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 136 to 150 of 150

Thread: Golf

  1. #136
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Golf is back! So nice to see the sights and feel all the same emotions again, especially as I patiently wait for my opportunity to work the Travelers Championship in two weeks as an "essential volunteer". And just because sports has the power to heal, it is no surprise that Harold Varner III, the only black player on tour other than Tiger Woods, is tied for the lead after day 1. I thought that was worth mentioning, coming a week and a half after sitting down with the commissioner to talk about current events.
    Have fun at that tournament in your home state (mine by adoption). Had a chance to get to know a club fitter who takes care of certain professionals club needs from Monday to Wednesday at every tournament site. Pretty good player in his own right. He had a lot of very nice things to say about Graeme McDowell. If it had not been for golf this past winter down south, not sure how I would have made out.

  2. #137
    HOF (Micro) Manager Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15,517
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Have fun at that tournament in your home state (mine by adoption). Had a chance to get to know a club fitter who takes care of certain professionals club needs from Monday to Wednesday at every tournament site. Pretty good player in his own right. He had a lot of very nice things to say about Graeme McDowell. If it had not been for golf this past winter down south, not sure how I would have made out.
    We were very lucky up here. Connecticut was one of the few states in the country to never shut down golf courses, so I got to play a couple months earlier than I normally would have, due to being home from school in March instead of May, and a very mild winter. Granted, it turned into a cold spring, but it gave me something to do. Unfortunately, I reaggravated a calf injury, and haven't been able to play much since the weather got nice. Everybody around here is really happy that we still get our PGA tournament, which is one of the few that kept its original date on the schedule. I tested negative yesterday, so I am officially past all barriers to volunteering. Only thing left to do is get my boss to give me Friday off. I already signed up to work on Friday, so we'll see how that goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

  3. #138
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    We were very lucky up here. Connecticut was one of the few states in the country to never shut down golf courses, so I got to play a couple months earlier than I normally would have, due to being home from school in March instead of May, and a very mild winter. Granted, it turned into a cold spring, but it gave me something to do. Unfortunately, I reaggravated a calf injury, and haven't been able to play much since the weather got nice. Everybody around here is really happy that we still get our PGA tournament, which is one of the few that kept its original date on the schedule. I tested negative yesterday, so I am officially past all barriers to volunteering. Only thing left to do is get my boss to give me Friday off. I already signed up to work on Friday, so we'll see how that goes.
    Have fun - My friend Mike will be rolling in to town in the PXG truck. It is fascinating what the guys do behind the scenes.

  4. #139
    HOF (Micro) Manager Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15,517
    Congrats to Dustin Johnson on winning the Masters! Big fan of his approach to the game. Been trying to emulate it (unsuccessfully) for a few years now. With the win at Augusta, he now currently holds the title in both events in Georgia (Tour Championship and the Masters - two of the biggest cash prizes in the world), as well as both events in New England, having won in both Hartford and Boston this year as well.

  5. #140
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    30,230
    DJ set Masters records with total score of -20, and fewest total bogeys with 4.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  6. #141
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    30,230
    Jordan Spieth is back on his game and doing amazing things.

    In two rounds at Pebble Beach, he's had two eagles with holeouts from the fairway, one on the par-four 10th and one on the par-four 16th. Pretty much as good as two holes-in-one.

    He's got a two-stroke lead heading to the final round. Can he finish it off?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  7. #142
    HOF (Micro) Manager Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Jordan Spieth is back on his game and doing amazing things.

    In two rounds at Pebble Beach, he's had two eagles with holeouts from the fairway, one on the par-four 10th and one on the par-four 16th. Pretty much as good as two holes-in-one.

    He's got a two-stroke lead heading to the final round. Can he finish it off?
    These last two weeks he has been an absolute inspiration to me. I always liked him before, and never stopped liking him (especially because of what he did here in CT), but I've been really struggling with my game over the last two years or so. Like I've lost hope a bunch of times. Seeing him come back from the doldrums makes me feel like I can do the same. I just wish he didn't have to beat Berger this week. I was the only person rooting for Berger that Sunday in Hartford, as I had just been the standard bearer for his group for the last two rounds. Both guys are class acts.

  8. #143
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    30,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    These last two weeks he has been an absolute inspiration to me. I always liked him before, and never stopped liking him (especially because of what he did here in CT), but I've been really struggling with my game over the last two years or so. Like I've lost hope a bunch of times. Seeing him come back from the doldrums makes me feel like I can do the same. I just wish he didn't have to beat Berger this week. I was the only person rooting for Berger that Sunday in Hartford, as I had just been the standard bearer for his group for the last two rounds. Both guys are class acts.
    I like Berger because he's got a funky swing. I find the guys with their own personal swings like that are the most fun to watch.

    Spieth's swing is a little unusual too.

    And like you say, they both seem like great guys.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  9. #144
    HOF (Micro) Manager Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15,517
    Tiger was in a car crash this morning in LA. Single vehicle rollover.


    This reminds me so much of Kobe.... Can't let it have the same outcome

  10. #145
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    30,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Tiger was in a car crash this morning in LA. Single vehicle rollover.

    This reminds me so much of Kobe.... Can't let it have the same outcome
    Multiple leg injuries. Sounds like his life isn't in danger, but his golf career could be.

    It's a ominous mystery at this point how the crash happened.

    Hope for the best, that's all we can do.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  11. #146
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    30,230
    Another illustration that if you have the money, you should have a chauffeur.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  12. #147
    HOF (Micro) Manager Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Another illustration that if you have the money, you should have a chauffeur.
    I have a theory that he was trying to kill himself. Pain makes you do crazy things, and to be in pain for as long as he has, I can understand the motivation.

    I was watching Golf Channel last night in bed, and they had a journalist/USC professor on who is very familiar with the stretch of road. He said it's not uncommon for people to go insanely fast, but it is also pretty straight, and he can't imagine how a single car could rollover and crash, particularly on a perfect weather day with no hazardous road conditions. He also mentioned how there was no indication that Tiger hit the breaks.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

  13. #148
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    30,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I have a theory that he was trying to kill himself. Pain makes you do crazy things, and to be in pain for as long as he has, I can understand the motivation.

    I was watching Golf Channel last night in bed, and they had a journalist/USC professor on who is very familiar with the stretch of road. He said it's not uncommon for people to go insanely fast, but it is also pretty straight, and he can't imagine how a single car could rollover and crash, particularly on a perfect weather day with no hazardous road conditions. He also mentioned how there was no indication that Tiger hit the breaks.
    My suspicion is that he was asleep at the wheel.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  14. #149
    HOF (Micro) Manager Thunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    15,517
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    My suspicion is that he was asleep at the wheel.
    I like your idea better. That was his excuse when he had the DWI arrest. He didn't know how the pain meds would affect him
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

  15. #150
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    30,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I like your idea better. That was his excuse when he had the DWI arrest. He didn't know how the pain meds would affect him
    We're in horrible territory here, but I think if his intent was vehicular suicide, there were much more effective ways to do it.

    Also, he was apparently en route to where he was supposed to be going.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •