Register now to remove this ad

Thread: griner gets 9yrs

Banned

griner gets 9yrs

WNBA player brittney griner was sentenced today to 9yrs in a russian prison for cannabis possession and drug smuggling charges.

This is my opinion on the matter, edited down significantly in order to not come across as political:

She broke the law in a foreign country, by doing something really stupid. You have to know that foreign countries, especially ones that are not democratic, have vastly different drug laws than we do in the United States. So, is she being "wrongfully detained?" Absolutely not. The maximum penalty in Russia for those offenses in 10 years. She got 9. Wrongfully detained, at least to me, means that the punishment is excessive. Just because it is more than we would give her in the US, or just because people don't agree with it, does not mean it is all of a sudden "wrongful detainment". Should we try to get her home? Absolutely. Would everybody drop what they are doing to protest and get her home if she was not a celebrity, not a minority, and/or not a lesbian? Absolutely not. Nobody would care if it was an average joe or jane. They would leave them to fend for themselves. That's the part I don't like about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    This is my opinion on the matter, edited down significantly in order to not come across as political:

She broke the law in a foreign country, by doing something really stupid. You have to know that foreign countries, especially ones that are not democratic, have vastly different drug laws than we do in the United States. So, is she being "wrongfully detained?" Absolutely not. The maximum penalty in Russia for those offenses in 10 years. She got 9. Wrongfully detained, at least to me, means that the punishment is excessive. Just because it is more than we would give her in the US, or just because people don't agree with it, does not mean it is all of a sudden "wrongful detainment". Should we try to get her home? Absolutely. Would everybody drop what they are doing to protest and get her home if she was not a celebrity, not a minority, and/or not a lesbian? Absolutely not. Nobody would care if it was an average joe or jane. They would leave them to fend for themselves. That's the part I don't like about this.
    Very well said.

The WNBA stands to lose tens of dollars if she is unable to resume her career!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by JDavis76 View Post
    Very well said.

The WNBA stands to lose tens of dollars if she is unable to resume her career!
    Honestly this might be the most press anyone from the WNBA ever got…

But Russia is willing to trade her for a convicted murderer, cash considerations and a rapist to be named later.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    But Russia is willing to trade her for a convicted murderer, cash considerations and a rapist to be named later.
    I think you mean a therapist to be named later…

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post

This isn’t the first time she’s gone over there either, so she knows full well what the rules are, and I agree with everything.

She goes to play in Russia. Russia goes to war. US recommends all citizens living in Russia come home because we are supporting the other side. She decides to try to sneak hash oil on the plane. Hash oil is illegal in Russia. She got caught doing something that is completely legal here, but that isn't the point. She got caught at an INCREDIBLY difficult political time doing something that is illegal THERE! I do not understand all the clamoring. I also wouldn't trade her for a terrorist. Seriously, a fucking terrorist. That is the guy they want for her. That's insanity.

The US should make all reasonable efforts to bring her back. But unleashing a terrorist on the world isnt a reasonable exchange
    Hal sucks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    She goes to play in Russia. Russia goes to war. US recommends all citizens living in Russia come home because we are supporting the other side. She decides to try to sneak hash oil on the plane. Hash oil is illegal in Russia. She got caught doing something that is completely legal here, but that isn't the point. She got caught at an INCREDIBLY difficult political time doing something that is illegal THERE! I do not understand all the clamoring. I also wouldn't trade her for a terrorist. Seriously, a fucking terrorist. That is the guy they want for her. That's insanity.

The US should make all reasonable efforts to bring her back. But unleashing a terrorist on the world isnt a reasonable exchange
    It's hardly "completely legal here".......

Quote Originally Posted by JDavis76 View Post
    It's hardly "completely legal here".......
    Ok, in my state it is
    Hal sucks

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Ok, in my state it is
    Federally it's not