Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 MLB Gamethread

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    The pitcher.
    Armando?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Armando galarraga
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    I'm in favor of instant replay. Each instance of it adds an average of about three minutes to a game. Used two or three times a game, that means an extra six to nine minutes, possibly even a couple less. Is an extra six minutes that much of a horrible thing to ensure that calls are being made correctly? Why doesn't anyone complain about football instant replays? They take much longer. I honestly think most of the complaining is because it's new. Is there anyone here who remembers football before instant replay who can tell me whether people made a big deal about it when it was new? I don't know when the NFL instituted it.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Baseball is too long and too slow paced as it is. Games should be 2-2.5 hrs at most.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    I kind of feel the same way but then I remember that pitcher for Detroit ( I believe ) who had a no-no going and was screwed by a bad call at first. Not that it mattered to many when it happened.
    There were many times before replay that the umps blew a call against the Sox and it ticked me off to no end, I'm not going to lie. There were also times with replay that the Sox got a call reversed in their favor which made me very happy. All that said, I still would prefer no replay.

As far as that no hitter blown call goes, the thing about replay overturning it is that the moment would have been kind of lost by then.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    The moment may have been lost, but the perfect game would still be in the record book. Besides, I think they would have celebrated just as hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    I'm in favor of instant replay. Each instance of it adds an average of about three minutes to a game. Used two or three times a game, that means an extra six to nine minutes, possibly even a couple less. Is an extra six minutes that much of a horrible thing to ensure that calls are being made correctly? Why doesn't anyone complain about football instant replays? They take much longer. I honestly think most of the complaining is because it's new. Is there anyone here who remembers football before instant replay who can tell me whether people made a big deal about it when it was new? I don't know when the NFL instituted it.
    For me it has nothing to do with the length of the game. I don't mind sitting through 3-4 hour games, especially once summer gets here. I don't particularly like when a pitcher takes an eternity in between pitches, but I can live with it.

I think bringing replay into baseball opened a can of worms that I did not want opened. Where will it end?

Why are some plays reviewable while others aren't? Are certain plays more important than others? The answer to that question is no.

Even a missed ball/strike call can affect the outcome as much as a missed HR call. I certainly never want MLB to go to automated balls/strikes or replays on ball/strike calls.

The reason why no one complains about NFL replay is because, who watches football?

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    Andres Galarraga. And it was the last out of a perfect game.
    Wasn't he a 1st Baseman for The Rockies? I'm confused.

Anyway, that pitcher got jobbed. As I recall, the offending ump came clean after the fact and nothing was changed.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    The moment may have been lost, but the perfect game would still be in the record book. Besides, I think they would have celebrated just as hard.
    IMO, the solution is to hold the umps more accountable. If an umpire is not making calls correctly within a certain degree of accuracy, he gets replaced. Sure, there are always still going to be mistakes as long as humans are involved, but that's part of the beauty of the game. Watching a good manager rant was always fun.

Wasn't he a 1st Baseman for The Rockies? I'm confused.

Anyway, that pitcher got jobbed. As I recall, the offending ump came clean after the fact and nothing was changed.
    *Armando. Andres was the 1st basseman with 400+ homers.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    For me it has nothing to do with the length of the game. I don't mind sitting through 3-4 hour games, especially once summer gets here. I don't particularly like when a pitcher takes an eternity in between pitches, but I can live with it.

I think bringing replay into baseball opened a can of worms that I did not want opened. Where will it end?

Why are some plays reviewable while others aren't? Are certain plays more important than others? The answer to that question is no.

Even a missed ball/strike call can affect the outcome as much as a missed HR call. I certainly never want MLB to go to automated balls/strikes or replays on ball/strike calls.

The reason why no one complains about NFL replay is because, who watches football?
    Oddly, this would seem to be the best utilization for technology. But I don't see it happening.

With all of the Gambling being sanctified in pro sports, I think we may be stuck with replay. So much money and so many people involved.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

There were many times before replay that the umps blew a call against the Sox and it ticked me off to no end, I'm not going to lie. There were also times with replay that the Sox got a call reversed in their favor which made me very happy. All that said, I still would prefer no replay.

As far as that no hitter blown call goes, the thing about replay overturning it is that the moment would have been kind of lost by then.
    Tell that to the pitcher. That was the highlight of his career.

IMO, the solution is to hold the umps more accountable. If an umpire is not making calls correctly within a certain degree of accuracy, he gets replaced. Sure, there are always still going to be mistakes as long as humans are involved, but that's part of the beauty of the game. Watching a good manager rant was always fun.
    I miss that too!!!!

Did you ever see Earl Weaver go at it? Dick Williams?

Lol!!!

Oddly, this would seem to be the best utilization for technology. But I don't see it happening.

With all of the Gambling being sanctified in pro sports, I think we may be stuck with replay. So much money and so many people involved.
    Yeah, we're stuck with replay. I don't see it going anywhere. I really hope that we don't get to the point of using technology for balls and strikes.

Tell that to the pitcher. That was the highlight of his career.
    Yes, I can feel for the pitcher.

It is a shame that he was robbed of his moment.