Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 141 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Referendum on John Farrell

Yeah Tek has no coaching experience, this is not a good team for untried manager
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    Absolutely not - Tek has never filled in a lineup card. His time as catcher is wildly overrated - he was an outstanding catcher, but vintage Pedro Martinez could make a trained seal look good back there.

If Farrell is gone, you look at guys like Lovullo, Alex Cora, Bud Black. Managing is an actual job - and I'd like somebody with some experience doing it.
    In his book, Pedro gave Varitek a lot of credit. He thought very highly of him.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    In his book, Pedro gave Varitek a lot of credit. He thought very highly of him.
    I'm glad he does. Does not alter the likelihood that Varitek's actual impact on something like that was moderate. Pedro had one of the best pitching years of all time before he got to Boston and well, you know his time here.

And none of that has anything to do with his managerial qualifications (basically, none).

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Yeah Tek has no coaching experience, this is not a good team for untried manager
    There are two general aspects to managing - the part we see and the part we don't.

UN is right - relative to the part we see, Farrell is not very good. He makes suboptimal bullpen decisions, and while in 2013 there was decent evidence he knew how to deploy the position players optimally, that has not continued in 2014-15. His treatment of the young players in particular (and I cannot separate this from management since he is following their strategy) has been profoundly problematic.

To the part we don't see - Farrell is better. The players respect him, and I don't think you have the sort of dogging it open rebellion issues which plague lesser leaders. He also has dealt well with the media, which is a very important part of the gig.

I'm glad he does. Does not alter the likelihood that Varitek's actual impact on something like that was moderate. Pedro had one of the best pitching years of all time before he got to Boston and well, you know his time here.

And none of that has anything to do with his managerial qualifications (basically, none).
    Maybe, but Tek did his homework, he has the respect of the players, and being manager doesn't require a lot of smarts or ability. That being said, I would make Lovullo the manager and Tek the bench coach.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by SinceYaz View Post
    Does the better play of the team under Lovullo last season say anything ...
    I think it says the players wanted to demonstrate to the new boss (DD) that they could play.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

I think Tek would do a good job learning the ropes as a bench coach. I'm under the impression that he's been working his way up the front office chain however.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Fuck Farrell. He sucks. Lovullo is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Legend
    Maybe, but Tek did his homework, he has the respect of the players, and being manager doesn't require a lot of smarts or ability. That being said, I would make Lovullo the manager and Tek the bench coach.
    It does - in so far that it is a real job that some people do better than others. I live outside of DC, so I got to witness the Matt Williams experience up close. It'd be nice to have a guy who has at least managed somewhere professionally. (Gabe Kapler would be another really good candidate)

For this job in particular, a true first timer would be hard to work with. Francona had a perfect storm of qualifications - that doesn't happen every day.

I like this idea.
    We miss you Mike.

It does - in so far that it is a real job that some people do better than others. I live outside of DC, so I got to witness the Matt Williams experience up close. It'd be nice to have a guy who has at least managed somewhere professionally. (Gabe Kapler would be another really good candidate)

For this job in particular, a true first timer would be hard to work with. Francona had a perfect storm of qualifications - that doesn't happen every day.
    I think he's understating the manager's job. Many people do, in my opinion.
    We miss you Mike.

With the money that Lovullo signed for.....that's not bench coach $$$$.....he WILL be the manager at some point. Right now the SOx are doing decent. It's not Farrells fault Kimbrell gave up 3 saves, Price had 2 lousy starts, Buch is a mess and Betts started slow...... However, he is KILLING the BP right now. I hope to God that Smith comes back soon and Kelly when healthy goes to the BP where I said he should be when we first got him in trade.....

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    I think he's understating the manager's job. Many people do, in my opinion.
    I think a lot of guys still think the job is like the managers in the movies. I think in 2016, it is a much more corporate gig and the guys who can work that part as well as the baseball are a much more exclusive set. The combination of media relations, executing organizational strategy, managing a coaching staff ... in addition to the stuff in the dugouts during those 3 or so hour a night ... that is a really complex deal.

There are 30 managerial positions, tons of candidates and yet mosst of the postions are filled with people who just aren't very bright or good managers of people.

Filling up a lineup card and switching pitchers around is not rocket science. Managing the egos of 25 millionaires (a significant portion of whom are pampered brats), corporate interests, and a cutthroat media establishment is not for those with low intelligence.
    We miss you Mike.