Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 141 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Referendum on John Farrell

Deity

Referendum on John Farrell

This isn't really about Farrell as much as it is about all MLB managers. My thesis is simple: yes, some managers are better than others, but by and large we give MLB managers way too much credit for wins and losses. Unlike NFL coaches, for example, they only have to manage a few players, and in a solid start perhaps just 9 or 10 or 11 of a 25 man roster is used.

Good NFL coaches, I've heard, virtually live in the practice facility or at least spend endless hours going over film and preparing the next game. MLB managers have a lot more games, but could easily show up 3 hours before game time and miss nothing of importance. They show up earlier, of course, because that is their office. And during a game there is ample time to review all kinds of statistics and tendencies before any move is made. Even the lineup card is a piece of cake because, guess what, the manager only has 13 position players for the 9 lineup slots. Casey Stengal was known for platooning, especially in the outfield, but what could be simpler than starting a righty bat against a lefty starter or vice versa?

Now I happen to think Joe Maddon is a pretty good manager. Right now his Cubs are 15-5, so he must be good, right? But guess what? The Cubs are second in MLB in runs scored (and way ahead of the Sox) and 2d in MLB in ERA. How many smarts does it take to win with that kind of talent?
    I happen to think the Yankees Girardi is pretty good too, but his team is mired in last place because their hitting is so-so and their pitching is almost as bad as ours.

Which brings me to Farrell. Last year I would have been fine with firing him even though I thought he had a wretched rotation and some lineup players--Sandoval, Napoli, Ramirez, and one or more of the outfielder--who were dragging the team down. Moreover, I thought he did a great job two years before taking the team to a WS win after a losing season under Bobby V. This year I have no problem with the thesis that the FO has given Farrell fair warning: win or else.

That said, it is also apparent to me that Farrell, while he does enjoy a terrific run-scoring lineup, once again is struggling with the world's worst rotation and a closer with a high era. 11-9 is about right for this team, whoever is managing it. PIck your manager, bring him in, and I am confident he would manage about as well, but not better. Why? Because managers don't make that much difference.

IMO A HoF manager is worth +5 to +10 wins in a season. so in reality he is only about 4-5% better than a crappy skipper.
    football is more impact because: 16 game season.

A bad manager can cost his team a significant amount of games. Leaving a starter in too long, leaving a reliever in too long, sub-optimal lineup construction.

The impact a crappy manager has on his team is way more significant than the impact a good manager that doesn't get in his own way.
    We miss you Mike.

There's no real way to quantify it. Managers do make in-game decisions that can change the outcome, but you don't know if things would have been different if they had made a different move.

Over the course of the season one of the manager's biggest tasks is utilizing his bullpen properly, especially the way the game is now.

Then there is the true X factor - the clubhouse factor, the motivation of the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    IMO A HoF manager is worth +5 to +10 wins in a season. so in reality he is only about 4-5% better than a crappy skipper.
    football is more impact because: 16 game season.
    Yup, and while both are team sports, baseball is more individual against individual (pitcher/batter), until the ball is in play anyway.

Football coaches have a much bigger impact on game planning and play execution than baseball managers.
    Other than the lineup, baserunning directions and pulling pitchers, managers pretty much just send them out there.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Major Leaguer
    Howdy Max,

I think there is a solid concern here that plays to the way professional athletes are coddled these days. Since that is true, the manager is as much a manager of personalities as anything. The financial investment in the players, more so in the NBA than any other, makes it necessary to have an understanding person in the seat. We have coaches to help with personalities, life coaches, all sorts of things ... in the old days the manager was the boss, now he's a facilitator. That was Tito's magic. We know there was all sorts of screaming about his on field calls, but there isn't one player who didn't stand to benefit from his people skills. Manny being Manny, Paps, et, al, ....

Joe Madden is a deep soul who puts his players first and they respond with playing with good fundamentals and team first-ness. His depth includes having fun, building odd quirks that the guys buy into, building team .... well, I begin to repeat.

Farrell has the same "player first" heart. We don't agree with some of his calls, but he led a near miraculous WS title in 2013. If we remember correctly, many of us were in love with our kids, even in 2013. The FO was not loath to hide our kids ... we had as many as 7 rookies starting at a time in 2014. What could Farrell do with that? Had the kids played up to the hype, Farrell would not have been the target of displeasure by so many. It's true that some would never be happy. (If we happen to win the WS THIS YEAR, there will still be those who will hold the 2 last place finishes against Farrell. ) Had the five aces held up last season .... and the FO is in charge of the acquisition of players, not the field manager. Other teams speak highly of Farrell's ability to build a team, other than angry Toronto fans, that is. I listen to the feeds from the other team and hear only good things about Farrell.

Had the players performed as expected ...

I know this is flash point, but apparently Farrell even tries to make pariah like Panda comfortable enough to be a team mate.

Not sure how to close this but if the players don't perform, the manager can be the best guy out there ... and be a loser. Buck Showalter was a genius in Baltimore the first 10 days of the season because the O's were unbeaten. Is he a bum now that they have a losing record and we are a half game out?

Farrell is not a good in-game tactician. That is an undeniable fact. His teams run the bases like idiots and his BP management is head-scratching. That said, the ability to manage the big egos in the Boston pressure cooker is invaluable. Farrell has that ability.

The problem is that we may be running and inferior manager out every night with a better option staring up at him from the bench coach position. The fact that the Sox had to greatly overpay Lovullo to keep him from being stolen away by another team speaks volumes to his standing in the industry.
    We miss you Mike.

Major Leaguer
    Does the better play of the team under Lovullo last season say anything ...

It wasn't significant sample size (there we go with the sample thing, but it's appropriate), but clearly there's something there.
    We miss you Mike.

Major Leaguer
    I'm more loyal than Tito, so it hurts me to say that I think it may well be so. It appeared the kids responded to Lovullo ... just a take I heard somewhere else.

I think DD is going to use Farrell as a platform for now. If things advance, get better, Farrell is ok. If not, Tony is right there..

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    It wasn't significant sample size (there we go with the sample thing, but it's appropriate), but clearly there's something there.
    I'm not sure it's all that clear. I think there's absolutely nothing useful you can tell about a manager in a 50 game sample and by the time Lovullo was in charge the season was settled and no one was playing for anything other than next year's contract.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    I'm not sure it's all that clear. I think there's absolutely nothing useful you can tell about a manager in a 50 game sample and by the time Lovullo was in charge the season was settled and no one was playing for anything other than next year's contract.
    But as I stated above, the fact that the Sox had to overpay pretty hard to keep another team from vulture-diving and taking him away speaks volumes as to his standing in the industry.
    We miss you Mike.

Yes, and it also says they're considering him as a potential successor. Actually if I was going to pick the next manager of the Red Sox I'd want DeMarlo Hale, not Lovullo. I've got a hunch about him, and he was part of the glory years and served under Tito as a bench coach.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Lovullo probably earned the next shot with the way the team played during JF cancer time but i wouldnt mind at all if they gave Tek the reigns....

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Lovullo probably earned the next shot with the way the team played during JF cancer time but i wouldnt mind at all if they gave Tek the reigns....
    Absolutely not - Tek has never filled in a lineup card. His time as catcher is wildly overrated - he was an outstanding catcher, but vintage Pedro Martinez could make a trained seal look good back there.

If Farrell is gone, you look at guys like Lovullo, Alex Cora, Bud Black. Managing is an actual job - and I'd like somebody with some experience doing it.