Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Young thread

Chris Young thread

So this guy has been a mediocre player for his whole career, and the notion that he hits lefties is also pretty much a myth. If you look at his career splits they don't show he consistently does anything good, so why did we sign him/how long of a leash does he get?

hes been awful to say the least, and if the plan was to start Holt all along, why not just roll with Rusney Castillo who has shown some flashes and definitely needs more play time, compared to Young, who was inexplicably signed for 2 years/13 million.

i think Rusney must have been caught with his hand in the cookie jar (mrs. henry perhaps?). there is no other way to explain why he isnt on the MLB club.
    to your point of more playing time...i would guess if the plan is to mostly use holt in LF that rusney gets more time in AAA.
    also, DD signed Young so there may be some pride being tested here. he certainly hasnt had any problem kicking Cherries signing (The Butterball) in the yam sack. does he man up and do the same to his (what appears to be) bad signing???

They've seen enough of Castillo to think he's not worth a roster spot. Can't say I disagree. Maybe he sucks in practice too and it's not just what we saw on the field?

Young is a fine professional player. He's been in a slump so far, but if he replicated his 2015 season, we'd have no reason to complain. He might not have Castillo's "upside" but his floor isn't as low as Castillo's either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

He's only had 25 plate appearances. One or two good games and his OPS jumps 200 points.

Also, his OPS is .135 greater vs LHP than RHP. Yes, that's a noticeable split. His OPS+ against LHP isn't a "myth" as you say it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    So this guy has been a mediocre player for his whole career, and the notion that he hits lefties is also pretty much a myth. If you look at his career splits they don't show he consistently does anything good, so why did we sign him/how long of a leash does he get?

hes been awful to say the least, and if the plan was to start Holt all along, why not just roll with Rusney Castillo who has shown some flashes and definitely needs more play time, compared to Young, who was inexplicably signed for 2 years/13 million.
    wRC+ splits (100 is average)

2015: 162 v LH, 58 v RH (175 PAs vs LH, 181 PAs v RH)
    2014: 66 v LH, 106 v RH (93 PAs v LH, 273 PAs v RH)
    2013: 98 v LH, 67 v RH (175 PAs v LH, 200 PAs v RH)
    2012: 100 v LH, 78 v RH (134 PAs v LH, 229 PAs v RH)
    2011: 152 v LH, 87 v RH (158 PAs v RH, 501 PAs v RH)

Young has had a consistent, very significant split ... the split did not follow in 2014, but that is a clear outlier (and also the one year in the last five he had fewer than 130 plate appearances against lefties)

He's a career .263 hitter against lefties. Sure, he's "better", but in his career over he's a .235 hitter with a .313 OBP, who has never come close to his power numbers he had with Arizona during his first few years in the league. Theres a reason he is on his 5th team since 2012

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    He's a career .263 hitter against lefties. Sure, he's "better", but in his career over he's a .235 hitter with a .313 OBP, who has never come close to his power numbers he had with Arizona during his first few years in the league. Theres a reason he is on his 5th team since 2012
    Yes, it's because he can't hit righties.

Against lefties he has a career slash of .263/.362/.474 ... when you consider most of his career he played able to play at least an adequate center field. That is a borderline All-Star, if all he had to do was face lefties.
    Against righties .224/.292/.410

He always has looked bad to the eye test at the plate, once again because at his peak, he was Mike Napoli as a good defensive centerfielder. He walked a lot, he struck out a lot, and he hit the ball out of the yard a lot.

I'd rather Castillo over Young any day of the week.

Btw how long is Castillo going to stay in AAA? Whata waste of money.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Castillo needs for once and for all a full year playing almost every game, otherwise he is going to oxidize.
    Last edited by iortiz; 04-28-2016 at 04:01 PM.

In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

you'll never get a team in contention to give him that kind of chance.

What I'd like to do is pick up a professional 4th OF type, a guy like Eric Hinske or Gabe Kapler, who can start in at least LF and RF without embarrassing himself, and forget the whole platoon nonsense.
    Last edited by Dojji; 04-28-2016 at 03:34 PM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

I like Rusney's arm and playing LF in Fenway I really really like his arm. Offensively we could do worse and with Young it seems like we're actually trying to. We'll see how this plays out over the season. Castillo got off to a slow start to his spring due to two weeks of the flu, he could be a slow starter, he could be a streaky hitter as well. Fact is we don't really know a whole lot about him cause he's never consistently given playing time and admittedly his health is always suspect. If he proves himself in AAA I want him back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    I like Rusney's arm and playing LF in Fenway I really really like his arm. Offensively we could do worse and with Young it seems like we're actually trying to. We'll see how this plays out over the season. Castillo got off to a slow start to his spring due to two weeks of the flu, he could be a slow starter, he could be a streaky hitter as well. Fact is we don't really know a whole lot about him cause he's never consistently given playing time and admittedly his health is always suspect. If he proves himself in AAA I want him back up.
    Exactly.

You have a luxury in AAA who arguably showed something -whatever that means- when the Red Sox scouted him.

I say let him play for once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Runsey had a disastrous Spring Training. He didn't hit and played very poorly in the outfield. He certainly isn't a superlative defensive standout like either a Bradley or a Vasquez so he has to hit. No matter how plays the outfield, he isn't going to stay in the bigs until he learns to hit. I don't know why Cherrington signed him because he certainly hasn't lived up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Runsey had a disastrous Spring Training. He didn't hit and played very poorly in the outfield. He certainly isn't a superlative defensive standout like either a Bradley or a Vasquez so he has to hit. No matter how plays the outfield, he isn't going to stay in the bigs until he learns to hit. I don't know why Cherrington signed him because he certainly hasn't lived up to the hype.
    Hi elk. How are u doing man?

I don't have a clue how Cherington got to the conclusion that this guy is 70 M worthy money. Surely he had a case but at this point it seems so fragile.
    Last edited by iortiz; 04-28-2016 at 04:19 PM.