Register now to remove this ad

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Benintendi watch

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Benintendis is batting .243/.293/.324 so far in Portland.

What's the over/under of when he reaches .300????

I'll put it at June 21st.
    He's hitting .233 at the moment. Maybe some of you should have pumped the breaks on him playing in Boston this year?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    He's hitting .233 at the moment. Maybe some of you should have pumped the breaks on him playing in Boston this year?
    I didn't think he should have been penciled in this year. I can see a cup of coffee and he could pull an Ellsbury on us but I always thought we should start thinking about him in the 2017 line up.

AB first 84 PAs in Portland .203/.241/.270
    his last 23 PAs in Portland .400/.478/.800

Both small sample sizes, but it looks like he's starting to adjust to the level.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    I didn't think he should have been penciled in this year. I can see a cup of coffee and he could pull an Ellsbury on us but I always thought we should start thinking about him in the 2017 line up.

AB first 84 PAs in Portland .203/.241/.270
    his last 23 PAs in Portland .400/.478/.800

Both small sample sizes, but it looks like he's starting to adjust to the level.
    No prospects stock level should go up or down based on sample sizes of 84 or 23 PAs, so I'm pretty sure Benintendi's stock is still very high. I agree that we need to see more of him at the AA or higher level to see if he's reached ML readiness. That could happen in September, but unless we have major injuries, I doubt he plays a significant role this year.

I do think he'll get a serious look in ST'ing 2017, assuming he does well at AA this year. With Papi retiring, adding a kid like Benintendi to the 25 man roster may end up working out well. (I'm not implying he'll fill Papi's shoes.)

Deity
    If it meant that we could acquire a young controllable future top of the rotation guy (at the ml level right now), I would trade any of our "very best" prospects. The only snag would be how many of them had to be dealt.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    If it meant that we could acquire a young controllable future top of the rotation guy (at the ml level right now), I would trade any of our "very best" prospects. The only snag would be how many of them had to be dealt.
    From a report today, according to a "source", the Sox are willing to trade anyone except Benintendi and Moncada. They don't want to trade Devers either, but could be persuaded on him.

Deity
    I'm ok with this and I am sure that you are as well. But (there always is one) if the right pitcher was out there, my guess is that they would do what they had to do. If there is a choice, for me it would be prospects as opposed to guys at the ml level right now.

By Mike Rosenbaum / MLB.com | 1:04 AM ET:

• Andrew Benintendi (No. 21 overall) helped pace Double-A Portland's offense in a win against Richmond, going 2-for-5 with a two-run homer. The Red Sox's No. 3 prospect has hit all three of his Double-A home runs in his past eight games, six of which have been multi-hit efforts. Overall, he's hitting .305/.365/.500 with 32 extra-base hits and 49 RBIs through 62 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    By Mike Rosenbaum / MLB.com | 1:04 AM ET:

• Andrew Benintendi (No. 21 overall) helped pace Double-A Portland's offense in a win against Richmond, going 2-for-5 with a two-run homer. The Red Sox's No. 3 prospect has hit all three of his Double-A home runs in his past eight games, six of which have been multi-hit efforts. Overall, he's hitting .305/.365/.500 with 32 extra-base hits and 49 RBIs through 62 games.
    Nothing wrong with those numbers.

His AA OPS is .250 lower than A. Need to keep it in perspective when someone talks about "overall" numbers.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Gotta pump the brakes a little on him, which is actually a good thing. There are those that dominate the A ball leagues, but starting in AA, you start to see fringe big league smarts mixed with big league talent. He is probably seeing pitch sequences and breaking stuff/change ups like he's never seen before. Its a good thing he is actually struggling a little
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Gotta pump the brakes a little on him, which is actually a good thing. There are those that dominate the A ball leagues, but starting in AA, you start to see fringe big league smarts mixed with big league talent. He is probably seeing pitch sequences and breaking stuff/change ups like he's never seen before. Its a good thing he is actually struggling a little
    Exactly.

The jump from A to AA is significant.

He should be fine.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

All-Star
    Swihart could turn into a VG switch hitter, and he's a lot better left fielder than he was a catcher. Castillo is trade bait at best. Young will do fine for a year or two. I'd kep the subject of this post down on the farm and get at least a year of AAA.

There's a lot of different angles to look at "perspective" in the minors. Benintendis OPS was lower a few weeks ago in what will of amounted to a few bad weeks at the end of the year. He's doubled his numbers the past couple weeks. Yes it's a SSS but everything is in the minors because you can never hit too well at a level to have a very large sample size because you will inevitably be promoted.

Age, making adjustments, fatigue, slumps...there are so many factors to consider. Numbers are the end game, but sometimes you have to throw the numbers out the window and look at the player. That's what you do with a guy like Benintendi, unless he ends up busting the numbers will come and we see that time and time again with elite prospects; given enough time they adjust and start owning a level.

Single A
    Got out on Father's Day with my oldest son (who is 11) to see Portland play vs. the Flying Squirrels since I live in Richmond. It was my first chance to see Benintendi live. Relatively uneventful day for him. Sac fly RBI and not too many defensive chances and those were routine. On this day, he wasn't very patient at the plate, jumping on pitches very early in the count, and flied out to center on 3 occasions. He does seem to have some pop in that bat since one of them got to the warning track in a hurry.

On a side note, my son was super excited to get an autograph from him, but on two separate instances (one before the game, one after) Benintendi completely ignored him. There was no mob and no one else around, and he definitely heard him. The time after the game he was standing 3 feet from him with only one other person asking for his autograph. Maybe he's not big on doing autographs, but my son was very disappointed. He would've understood if he was having to do a ton of them and he just didn't get around to him, but that definitely wasn't the case. Everything I've heard about Moncada is the exact the opposite of this, as he spends a ton of time after games giving autographs to anyone that asks for one.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnylongfella View Post
    Got out on Father's Day with my oldest son (who is 11) to see Portland play vs. the Flying Squirrels since I live in Richmond. It was my first chance to see Benintendi live. Relatively uneventful day for him. Sac fly RBI and not too many defensive chances and those were routine. On this day, he wasn't very patient at the plate, jumping on pitches very early in the count, and flied out to center on 3 occasions. He does seem to have some pop in that bat since one of them got to the warning track in a hurry.

On a side note, my son was super excited to get an autograph from him, but on two separate instances (one before the game, one after) Benintendi completely ignored him. There was no mob and no one else around, and he definitely heard him. The time after the game he was standing 3 feet from him with only one other person asking for his autograph. Maybe he's not big on doing autographs, but my son was very disappointed. He would've understood if he was having to do a ton of them and he just didn't get around to him, but that definitely wasn't the case. Everything I've heard about Moncada is the exact the opposite of this, as he spends a ton of time after games giving autographs to anyone that asks for one.
    Well that sucks.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."