Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 224 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox Pitching Staff Discussion

Sox Pitching Staff Discussion

Per WEEI, ERod is experiencing renewed discomfort in his knee and is out indefinitely. My guess is he had more than just a little patellar subluxation. He probably has persistent laxity and might need the joint tightened up surgically.
    Hal sucks

this is terrible news (for us Red Sox fans). get ready to say goodbye to some of our prospects......
    other names i have posted under: none

DD had better be working the phones. This is terrible news. ERod could be just another in a long line of pitching prospects that we waited for breathlessly who become distant memories within a few short years. I hope not.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

No sweat.
    We're trading for Trout...
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Can he pitch.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    this is terrible news (for us Red Sox fans). get ready to say goodbye to some of our prospects......
    Yup, and the worst thing is, the price just went up.

All-Star
    I hardly think it's panic time yet.

Price is going to be fine.
    Porcello just had his first really bad start since coming off the DL last August. He'll be fine.
    Wright is at least a #4/5, possibly better.
    Buchholz is admittedly not looking good, but we've seen this from him before and we've also seen him turn it around.
    Kelly looks ready based on AAA results...let's see what he's got.

There is cause for concern, but not for desperation...not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post

Porcello just had his first really bad start since coming off the DL last August. He'll be fine.
    Buchholz is admittedly not looking good, but we've seen this from him before and we've also seen him turn it around.

We can also predict that Buchholz will start his off season by the All Star Break, creating another vacancy.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Per WEEI, ERod is experiencing renewed discomfort in his knee and is out indefinitely. My guess is he had more than just a little patellar subluxation. He probably has persistent laxity and might need the joint tightened up surgically.
    And you are basing this after you reviewed his MRI's and x-rays?

Single A
    There aren't that many high quality starters available at this moment and lack of SP depth will hurt this team. Two likely trade partners Indians and Mets are playing well and won't give away their starters unless they are absolutely blown away at the offer. I can see few names available from rock bottom teams such as Julio Teheran, Drew Pomeranz, or Ervin Santana but none of them should be tempting to Sox fans. Hope DD comes up with something brilliant and fixes SP problems and doesn't make the same mistake.

You may not know this but Jacko is a medical Doctor and former college pitcher.

So while he may not have reviewed the advanced images of the knee, he does have plenty of experience in these matters.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post

come on FJ. we are Sox fans. we were born to panic.
    i always liked Kelly and have no problem giving him the ball every 5th day. but to me E-Rod was the #2 SP of this team and would be a great presence on a playoff roster. that role IMO will not be filled by Kelly. (or anyone on the staff currently).
    Anyways, i expected DD to trade for a SP by the deadline even before this news broke so i definitely think something gets done now.....

Wow...relax kids. Its a knee, not a shoulder.
    My guess is DD was already planning on trading a couple prospects/players for another starter anyway since our depth is crap and the rotation hasnt been anything special. IMHO, We need another starter regardless if ERod is ok or not. The pen and offense has carried this team so far. That will work in the regular season, but not in the playoffs. Another starter is still a need.

Single A
    And now we are about to miss Carson Smith for a long period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by seannybboi View Post
    And now we are about to miss Carson Smith for a long period of time.
    dang. details?