Register now to remove this ad

Page 102 of 103 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103 LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 1540

Thread: Christian Vazquez

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That pretty much says it all.

The fact that Swihart has not even caught one inning in a blow-out game shows me they aren't even trying to have him ready to be used, if needed. That's how badly they think of his defense.pitcher handling skills.
    He did catch 1 inning last night, but your overall point holds.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I think they didn't like what they saw in 2015 when he started 84 games at C because others were on the DL. His DWAR was -.4. The Sox ERA that year was 4.31, ranked 25th. The next year it was 9th, and last year it was 4th in MLB.
    Well, some of that improvement in ERA could be attributable to the additions of Price, Kimbrel and Sale, too...

Quote Originally Posted by Natick to NC View Post
    His supposed game calling and Defense is held up by many here ....but I'm with you ....he suuuuuucks this year and maybe most of last .
    In the 3 years that Vaz has caught for the Red Sox, 2014, 2016, and 2017, he has saved the team 58 runs in pitch framing alone, according to Baseball Prospectus. That's roughly 6 games. I'm sure the pitchers are aware of this too, which has to instill a great deal of confidence in them to pitch to him. He has had a rough few games, but he is a very good defensive catcher.

As with JBJ in CF, I'm good with Vaz not being a heavy hitter. Whatever he gives us offensively is gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    In the 3 years that Vaz has caught for the Red Sox, 2014, 2016, and 2017, he has saved the team 58 runs in pitch framing alone, according to Baseball Prospectus. That's roughly 6 games. I'm sure the pitchers are aware of this too, which has to instill a great deal of confidence in them to pitch to him. He has had a rough few games, but he is a very good defensive catcher.

As with JBJ in CF, I'm good with Vaz not being a heavy hitter. Whatever he gives us offensively is gravy.
    Difference being that Vaz is far more involved in the defense than JBJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Very true.

Last year, JBJ was involved in 310 plays in 132 games, which is about 2.34 per game or 7 every 3 games.

For argument's sake, let's say one of those 7 plays would fall for a single or double had we had JMart in LF and Beni in CF all last year. Last year he got just over 6 hits every 7 games played. If you made it 7 hits, his BA would have gone up by about 140 points. If some were doubles, his SLG would go up by more. That would have turned his .245 BA into .385.

Maybe my math is wrong, but nobody would complain about a .385 hitter thaat was average or slightly below average on defense. If you give JBJ one play every 4 games, then his BA could be converted to .315 by adding just 70 points.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    True enough. Either way, I still want both in my lineup even if neither is hitting very well. The rest of the line up is good enough that they can carry these two guys. Besides, both of them will hit better than they are currently hitting.

Deity
    Have to say that for me which one of our catchers hits just a little should be the number one . They are both good not great at their craft. Leon gets the nod right now from me.

Our catchers suuuuuuuuck ranked 29th in baseball ....Sandy had a day today doesn't erase the suckitude ....bottom of both leagues Catching situation .

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The only reason to play Swihart anywhere at this point is to hope he hits well enough to be a marketable trade piece capable of getting a better return than what was already turned down for him this spring, whatever that was.

But as long as the Sox are atop the AL East with one of the best records in baseball, it is not likely Swihart gets that type of chance...
    If he is such a calamity defensively that they can't risk giving him a few starts in place of a duo that can't crack .200, they should just trade him. He has little utility on this Roster. We have 4 OFers plus holt and Nunez to play the OF. Realistically, Swihart is not going to play 2nd or 3rd, and we have 2 first basemen vying for time.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

58 runs by pitch framing alone? Man that's amazing, hard to believe actually.

Really nice to see CV hitting some balls on the screws the last few games.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    For sure - maybe the extra work he put in while in Houston really did help. I hope he keeps it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Absolutely. The bottom of the order, as a whole, has been hitting much better.

Red Sox Notes
    ‏ @SoxNotes
    8m8 minutes ago

Red Sox 7-8-9 hitters in team’s first 44 games:
    .200 AVG/.254 OBP/.288 SLG/.543 OPS

Red Sox 7-8-9 hitters in team’s last 18 games:
    .302 AVG/.377 OBP/.456 SLG/.833 OPS

Vas rising . . .

Check out his last 30 days...

Here we go fellas

17 games

298. .333 .526 .860

3HR's

6 Ron's

Not setting the world on fire, but a bright light rising in the East after a VERY LONG and dark April & May.