Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Making History

Making History

Im not sure if this will be put the the sox offense thread, but looking at a couple posts and seeing what JBJ, Xander, and Papi is doing in his final year, i figured Id start a thread for it...
    We can talk about JBj and Xanders hitting streaks, Papi climbing up all the offensive numbers lists in his final year making history, or even some of the old teams of the 70s (or earlier for some folks older than me) or the 2003 team with the crazy offense they had...
    A thread about records that have been broken or still stand for our players throughout history...
    Red Sox player that made, or are making history...

Ortiz is putting himself into rare air with the offensive numbers he will end up with. it will be very difficult for the HoF voters to keep him out.
    HR: 514 (22nd all time)
    Doubles: 604 (13th all time)
    OPS: .928 (40th all time)
    SLG: .550 (26th all time)
    RBI: 1,682 (27th all time)
    XBH: 1,137 (13th all time)
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    Ortiz is putting himself into rare air with the offensive numbers he will end up with. it will be very difficult for the HoF voters to keep him out.
    HR: 514 (22nd all time)
    Doubles: 604 (13th all time)
    OPS: .928 (40th all time)
    SLG: .550 (26th all time)
    RBI: 1,682 (27th all time)
    XBH: 1,137 (13th all time)
    Being pretty much a career DH along with the PED cloud over his head may hinder his chances.

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw777 View Post
    Im not sure if this will be put the the sox offense thread, but looking at a couple posts and seeing what JBJ, Xander, and Papi is doing in his final year, i figured Id start a thread for it...
    We can talk about JBj and Xanders hitting streaks, Papi climbing up all the offensive numbers lists in his final year making history, or even some of the old teams of the 70s (or earlier for some folks older than me) or the 2003 team with the crazy offense they had...
    A thread about records that have been broken or still stand for our players throughout history...
    Yeah, this should have been put in the offense thread.

Why keep making extra work for YOTN?
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBabeStrikesBack View Post
    Being pretty much a career DH along with the PED cloud over his head may hinder his chances.
    what PED cloud? link?

Quote Originally Posted by southpaw777 View Post
    JBJ - at what point does the nation get into the hit streak? my guess is when he gets to 35.

what PED cloud? link?
    Umm, do you know how to use google?

If so, type in david ortiz steroids and you will find plenty of links.

Major Leaguer
    what PED cloud? link?
    Let him have something to cling to. David Ortiz not only tore the hearts out of millions of Yankee fans, he came back for their livers & kidneys over the years.

The babestrikesback probably wakes up in a cold sweat after chanting 1918! In his sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Ballgame View Post
    Let him have something to cling to. David Ortiz not only tore the hearts out of millions of Yankee fans, he came back for their livers & kidneys over the years.

The babestrikesback probably wakes up in a cold sweat after chanting 1918! In his sleep.
    I have no need to "cling" to anything.

If you don't see the PED cloud associated with Ortiz you are either blind or a homer. Maybe both.

Deity
    I have no need to "cling" to anything.

If you don't see the PED cloud associated with Ortiz you are either blind or a homer. Maybe both.
    You do realize, I hope, that the very word cloud is nebulous and ill-defined. As I recall, he tested positive one time when almost everyone was tested and none of the results were to be made public. More to the point, MLB is fully capable of putting a confirmed--please note the meaning of that word--PED user on leave or probation or in a program. This has not happened to Ortiz but has happened to many others.

The PED cloud, I hasten to add, has hung over all of MLB for literally decades in large part because the all-powerful MLBPA didn't want a firm policy against PED use. I believe that era has pretty much ended, but it has left a residue. The acid test for Ortiz will come five years after he retires and is up for the HOF and the sportswriters will have to vote on what they believe. So far, I think their judgment has been pretty good.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 05-25-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    You do realize, I hope, that the very word cloud is nebulous and ill-defined. As I recall, he test positive one time when almost everyone was tested and none of the results were to be made public. More to the point, MLB is fully capable of putting a confirmed--please note the meaning of that word--PED user on leave or probation or in a program.
    And I do hope you realize that the PED cloud has hindered other candidates in the past.

And how do you know that Ortiz isn't in a program?

Deity
    And I do hope you realize that the PED cloud has hindered other candidates in the past.

And how do you know that Ortiz isn't in a program?
    You're darn right the PED cloud has hindered candidates, and I agree with the sportswriters. My prediction is it won't affect Ortiz, but that doesn't mean much because he could be kept out because he's a DH.

I thought being in a program was made public. If not, I can only say the program must be working because Ortiz is better than ever right now. You're guy A-Rod might be in a program too, and he sure doesn't look better than he ever was.

Deity
    Back to the record-setting. We count everything in baseball, of course, but to me the real significance of this team is sum of the parts, a blend of Ortiz's last hurrah, Pedroia and Ramirez hanging in there, and those five regulars who are 26 and under. Plus the bullpen. Plus our knuckleballer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    You're darn right the PED cloud has hindered candidates, and I agree with the sportswriters. My prediction is it won't affect Ortiz, but that doesn't mean much because he could be kept out because he's a DH.

I thought being in a program was made public. If not, I can only say the program must be working because Ortiz is better than ever right now. You're guy A-Rod might be in a program too, and he sure doesn't look better than he ever was.
    Being in the program is not necessarily made public.

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/03/27/...une-editorial/

BDC alums, do you remember the saying at the old site: Don't Feed the Trolls