Register now to remove this ad

Thread: 72 Years Ago Today

72 Years Ago Today

a bunch of very scared, seasick and incredibly brave men from America, Canada, England and other Allied countries went ashore off the Normandy coast to assault Hitler's Fortress Europe ... we owe them much.

We forget too, that these guys weren't John Wayne; many were kids, although they left their youth behind for forever.

I think it should be a prerequisite to graduate high school, get a drivers license, become a citizen or for anyone whining to watch the first 15-20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan". Can you just imagine the doors dropping on those Higgins boats knowing what you were about to face? Those guys were the greatest generation for a reason.

Most never talked about it. My Dad graduated high school a few days after D-Day and immediately joined the Navy (his older brother was among those who landed in Normandy that day and survived). My brother, sister and I never heard stories about the war until the final couple weeks of his life. He just wouldn't talk about it. Neither would my uncle.

Several years ago, one of my sons had a school assignment to interview a grandparent. One of the questions was the old standard, what did you dream of doing after high school. My Dad's reply shocked us. He said he had no dreams. He went on to explain that he knew he would be going to war, that he did not expect to come back and that most of the boys in his high school had the same expectation. Can you imagine going through your teenage years with that in the back of your mind?

There are very few of them left now; the youngest are now 90 years old. We must remember them.
    Last edited by illinoisredsox; 06-06-2016 at 10:06 AM.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Excellent post.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Good stuff IL. 06-June is always a day in my household for reflection.
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    a bunch of very scared, seasick and incredibly brave men from America, Canada, England and other Allied countries went ashore off the Normandy coast to assault Hitler's Fortress Europe ... we owe them much.

We forget too, that these guys weren't John Wayne; many were kids, although they left their youth behind for forever.

I think it should be a prerequisite to graduate high school, get a drivers license, become a citizen or for anyone whining to watch the first 15-20 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan". Can you just imagine the doors dropping on those Higgins boats knowing what you were about to face? Those guys were the greatest generation for a reason.

Most never talked about it. My Dad graduated high school a few days after D-Day and immediately joined the Navy (his older brother was among those who landed in Normandy that day and survived). My brother, sister and I never heard stories about the war until the final couple weeks of his life. He just wouldn't talk about it. Neither would my uncle.

Several years ago, one of my sons had a school assignment to interview a grandparent. One of the questions was the old standard, what did you dream of doing after high school. My Dad's reply shocked us. He said he had no dreams. He went on to explain that he knew he would be going to war, that he did not expect to come back and that most of the boys in his high school had the same expectation. Can you imagine going through your teenage years with that in the back of your mind?

There are very few of them left now; the youngest are now 90 years old. We must remember them.
    It is unbelievable what they lived through and accomplished. Also, most of them had grown up through the hardship of the Great Depression before going off to war by the millions.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Those men were part of the greatest generation of Americans in history. They're the reason my generation is not speaking German and saluting some successor of Hitler.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you