Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 MLB Draft Thread.

2016 MLB Draft Thread.

In general I shy away from starting threads but it is almost draft day and prospects are my favorite subject. Here is some relevant information leading up, feel free to add some analysts, articles, mock drafts, conversation, and hopes and desires.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...kJm2qygLr0l.97

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/...all-mock-draft

http://www.halosheaven.com/2016/6/3/...s-rankings-2-0

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/181759...ewis-are-top-3

http://espn.go.com/blog/mlb-draft/insider/post?id=2754

From what I've gathered this is a generally strong draft compared to recent years yet it seems to be lacking a lot strong college pitching at the top and seems to be flush with a lot of high upside high school arms at the top. Of course, the last week leading up to the draft there are usually a few names that come flying up the draft boards and some college players get pushed to the top.

Sweet. Thanks Hugh. I was actually looking for this thread earlier this morning and contemplated starting one. Glad i didn't. Was ill prepared. Only thing i can add at the moment is the usual: Draft the best player, can't draft based on need necessarily.

as with every year...i look forward to your post draft analysis Hugh. you are without a doubt the minor league "expert" in my world.....
    other names i have posted under: none

Oh no, I'm no expert guys. I just love following the soxprospects and read soxprospects.com and baseball america all the time. I'd like to consider myself a well informed fan of the minor leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Sweet. Thanks Hugh. I was actually looking for this thread earlier this morning and contemplated starting one. Glad i didn't. Was ill prepared. Only thing i can add at the moment is the usual: Draft the best player, can't draft based on need necessarily.
    This, of course, makes all the sense in the world. Especially since so many draftees will be high school kids.

But, what if, say, the Sox put an emphasis on pitching and draft a disproportionate number of arms?

I realize these will still be 4-5 years away from being MLB ready if ever at all so there would be no immediate benefit to the Sox current or near term.

But what if they selected 4-5 pitchers?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    This, of course, makes all the sense in the world. Especially since so many draftees will be high school kids.

But, what if, say, the Sox put an emphasis on pitching and draft a disproportionate number of arms?

I realize these will still be 4-5 years away from being MLB ready if ever at all so there would be no immediate benefit to the Sox current or near term.

But what if they selected 4-5 pitchers?
    I don't think draft the best player available and focus on pitching need to necessarily be mutually exclusive. I think the further you move past the #1 pick the more fluidity there is between players and teams probably have draft boards that are tiered. Also, remember pitchers are generally 1/2 of the players that are going to be drafted and on your roster. The Sox will easily take 18-20 arms this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    I don't think draft the best player available and focus on pitching need to necessarily be mutually exclusive. I think the further you move past the #1 pick the more fluidity there is between players and teams probably have draft boards that are tiered. Also, remember pitchers are generally 1/2 of the players that are going to be drafted and on your roster. The Sox will easily take 18-20 arms this weekend.
    Wow. I wasn't thinking about it that way.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

hopefully there are a couple aces in that mix!!!
    other names i have posted under: none

All-Star
    Thanks for the links, Hugh. I'll definitely have this page open Thursday night.

Can't forget Soxprospects, they have excellent draft coverage.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2016/06...t-preview.html

And I would highly recommend their draft preview podcast that I just finished as well.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2016/06...view-with.html

It's an easier listen if you download it on stitcher or itunes.

Spud, even if they spent the first 10 rounds only drafting arms, how many of them would actually pan out? The Sox have a poor history of developing pitchers. It seems like they are more adept at developing positional players. I'd say keep drafting the best players and use them as trade bait for pitching...
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

That's what the Cubs have done. Focus on their org strength (developing position players) and find other avenues for pitching (4/5ths of their rotation are trade/FA guys).
    We miss you Mike.

I do generally believe a lot of their failure to develop pitching is just the fact that overall it is really hard to draft and develop good pitching and probably a dose of bad luck as well as they've done great overall drafting and developing talent. However, they do seem to be better at position players, so something could be said about focusing on what you're good at.

As I said before, generally it is harder to draft and develop pitching. And while the Sox have failed at this, they've had a lot of guys who worked their way up but just couldn't make that last leap. Some of it was due to injuries like Brandon Workman and Brian Johnson(although I saw workman as a bullpen arm and Johnson as a BOTRS) They've traded promising guys like Logan Allen, and some have turned out to be felons like Cody Kukuk. Also, while they don't have TORS potential you can't close the book on someone like Owens being a decent MLB starter if he can improve his command and Barnes looks like he can be a guy in the pen. Still their record at developing pitchers lately leaves a lot to be desired.

There is also this.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...j32qOGi3xk7.97

Still I think if you have a draft process overall that works, you stick to it. If they get to the 12th pick and someone like Jason Groome is there and they really believe in him, I say take him. But if recent success is any influence coupled with DD's taste for college players in tough conferences I can see a guy like ZacK Collins, or Nick Burdi being their pick.

Even with the strength of HS talent in this draft, There's always talent at the top and with DD's record of loving college guys at the top someone they like in a college program might fall to them.
    Last edited by A Red Sox fan named Hugh; 06-07-2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: me no speel gewd.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    That's what the Cubs have done. Focus on their org strength (developing position players) and find other avenues for pitching (4/5ths of their rotation are trade/FA guys).
    Fuck the Cubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    I do generally believe a lot of their failure to develop pitching is just the fact that overall it is really hard to draft and develop good pitching and probably a dose of bad luck as well as they've done great overall drafting and developing talent. However, they do seem to be better at position players, so something could be said about focusing on what you're good at.

As I said before, generally it is harder to draft and develop pitching. And while the Sox have failed at this, they've had a lot of guys who worked their way up but just couldn't make that last leap. Some of it was due to injuries like Brandon Workman and Brian Johnson(although I saw workman as a bullpen arm and Johnson as a BOTRS) They've traded promising guys like Logan Allen, and some have turned out to be felons like Cody Kukuk. Also, while they don't have TORS potential you can't close the book on someone like Owens being a decent MLB starter if he can improve his command and Barnes looks like he can be a guy in the pen. Still their record at developing pitchers lately leaves a lot to be desired.

There is also this.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...j32qOGi3xk7.97

Still I think if you have a draft process overall that works, you stick to it. If they get to the 12th pick and someone like Jason Groome is there and they really believe in him, I say take him. But if recent success is any influence coupled with DD's taste for college players in tough conferences I can see a guy like ZacK Collins, or Nick Burdi being their pick.

Even with the strength of HS talent in this draft, There's always talent at the top and with DD's record of loving college guys at the top someone they like in a college program might fall to them.
    Excellent points.
    We miss you Mike.