Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yordano Ventura?

Yordano Ventura?

Nope. Not interested. We're not that desperate....yet.

That was an interesting confrontation though. Two players with a reputation for being hot-heads going at it.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Major Leaguer
    If he can be had cheap, bring him in. Have Papi take him under his wing, who knows. If he doesn't pan out, so be it. He may come in with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove.

I don't think he's good enough to put up with all the baggage.

Watching him pitch against the O's again would be fun though!
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

He can pitch against the O's with another team.
    We miss you Mike.

I could be alone on this, but if the Royals were desperate to make a deal, i wouldn't hang up the phone right away. He's 25 years old, great stuff, although his stats don't show it. Could he grow out of his immaturity and poor attitude? Maybe? He may grow tired of batters charging the mound. I get why one would want to stay clear and let some other team trade for him, but I'd be interested to hear what KC would want for him in a trade, even just as a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    I could be alone on this, but if the Royals were desperate to make a deal, i wouldn't hang up the phone right away. He's 25 years old, great stuff, although his stats don't show it. Could he grow out of his immaturity and poor attitude? Maybe? He may grow tired of batters charging the mound. I get why one would want to stay clear and let some other team trade for him, but I'd be interested to hear what KC would want for him in a trade, even just as a reference.
    Wouldn't hurt to ask, but I certainly don't want the Sox doing KC a favor by giving up very much for him.
    “The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead.
    It's only difficult for other people.

It works the same way for stupid."

Ventura needs to understand how spoiled he has been. He came up with KC, which for the last 30 yrs basically meant you'd be groomed to be traded when your value gets high. Instead of being the big leagues' AAA squad, he came up when they were going to multiple playoff runs. Instead of sitting back and learning from the likes of Shields, Cueto, Volquez, etc, he has decided to be a hot head kid who appears uncoachable. He's going to find himself in Minnesota if he isn't careful
    Hal sucks

Absolutely I want him. No question at all. We're talking about a playoff proven power lefty who's having a bad year but has been a factor in the Royals making it to the world series both of the last 2 seasons. That level of playoff experience combined with talent doesn't walk through the door very often, even if it attached to a hot head and a bad year.

Unless there's some suggestion that he can't get his form back, and at 25YO I don't see how there could be, or KC's price is flat out insane, which it might or might not be, I definitely want him. He at least looks like an upgrade to the 5th spot in our rotation, and the upside is both higher than Kelly's and closer to actualization than Kelly ever was.

The floor of this trade is a boon to our depth and the ceiling is out of this world. DD should be on the phone to KC right now finding out how much truth there is to this rumor.
    Last edited by Dojji; 06-09-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

The Sox need pitching but not at the sake of trading assets for someone else's problems.

This is not Cory Dillon. This kid has problems that a Boston team does not need ( especially after Aaron Hernandez ).

Pass.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    Absolutely I want him. No question at all. We're talking about a playoff proven power lefty who's having a bad year but has been a factor in the Royals making it to the world series both of the last 2 seasons. That level of playoff experience combined with talent doesn't walk through the door very often, even if it attached to a hot head and a bad year.

Unless there's some suggestion that he can't get his form back, and at 25YO I don't see how there could be, or KC's price is flat out insane, which it might or might not be, I definitely want him. He at least looks like an upgrade to the 5th spot in our rotation, and the upside is both higher than Kelly's and closer to actualization than Kelly ever was.

The floor of this trade is a boon to our depth and the ceiling is out of this world. DD should be on the phone to KC right now finding out how much truth there is to this rumor.
    When did Ventura start throwing leftty? Also, what is it with yout and Royals players?
    We miss you Mike.

Yordano Ventura's career run prevention #s concur at 4. (SIERA, xFIP, FIP). His SO #s are great but he walks a lot of people. This year he has been awful in almost every metric, but before 2016, he had solid No. 3 numbers.

He is young and his ceiling could be interesting in his prime, but seems like his head is somewhere else. If he is coached well (mentally and physically) he could end up posting what his career ERA says or maybe better moving forward. --3.8.

Am I interested?

Well, If he is supposed to be a depth arm --plus his upside and youth-- , I'll take him anyday of the week at a reasonable price, but if he is supposed to be the answer to our pitching problems, I pass.
    Last edited by iortiz; 06-09-2016 at 04:00 PM.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.

Bah freaking cold meds. hayfever season is the time of year for amazingly retarded posts. Of course Ventura is RHP, I had him mixed up with some of the Royals' LHSP prospects from a couple years ago. Regardless, kid is very talented, if there's any question of getting his head out of his backside and into the game again, there's no doubt at all that that DD should be kicking the tires here.

Gotta love the people screaming for starting pitching trades in the middle of the season and turning their nose up immediately at exactly the kind of guy you get in a midseason SP trade -- a guy with some flaw another team can't live with. In order for a team to be willing to part with a decent pitcher there has to be a reason they can't keep him, and these days money isn't it, so there's going to be some problem with either the off field behavior, the on field attitude or the statistics. No guy we're going to be able to trade for is going to be very much better than Ventura, as there's so much money in the leauge just now that anyone worth keeping is kept. And the extenuating circumstances that make you guys cool on the acquisition are the only reasons he's acquirable at all.

With the full knowledge that all we really need out of Yordano Ventura is a decent #5 starter, I'm still good for acquiring Ventura -- knowing as I say so that there is a potential for disappointment here, as there will be with anyone we might target to upgrade the 5 spot in the rotation. And also knowing full well that the upside could easily be worth that risk.
    Last edited by Dojji; 06-09-2016 at 04:01 PM.
    If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.

Quote Originally Posted by iortiz View Post
    Yordano Ventura's career run prevention #s concur at 4. (SIERA, xFIP, FIP). His SO #s are great but he walks a lot of people. This year he has been awful in almost every metric, but before 2016, he had solid No. 3 numbers.

He is young and his ceiling could be interesting in his prime, but seems like his head is somewhere else. If he is coached well (mentally and physically) he could end up posting what his career ERA says or maybe better moving forward. --3.8.

Am I interested?

Well, If he is supposed to be a depth arm --plus his upside and youth-- , I'll take him anyday of the week at a reasonable price, but if he is supposed to be the answer to our pitching problems, I pass.
    And I think you're contradicting yourself here. In my mind, a depth arm to fill out the bottom of the rotation is the extent of our "pitching problems" at the moment -- at least until someone else gets hurt.

We don't have a great rotation (and even if we did, they wouldn't meet the laughably stratospheric expectations some of you have for what "great rotation" seems to mean to you), but we have a rotation that's good enough to allow us to compete on the virtue of the other things we do well -- IF we can plug that 5th spot in the rotation. All we really need to do that is a guy who can take the ball every 5th day without guaranteeing a loss. Ventura's a better gamble to accomplish that than anyone we have right now.

That's why I'd be all for Ventura. He's as good a gamble as any that are currently available, to full that 5th spot. And he has the upside to give us more if we can get him moving in the right direction.
    Last edited by Dojji; 06-09-2016 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    And I think you're contradicting yourself here. In my mind, a depth arm to fill out the bottom of the rotation is the extent of our "pitching problems" at the moment -- at least until someone else gets hurt.

We don't have a great rotation (and even if we did, they wouldn't meet the laughably stratospheric expectations some of you have for what "great rotation" seems to mean to you), but we have a rotation that's good enough to allow us to compete on the virtue of the other things we do well -- IF we can plug that 5th spot in the rotation. All we really need to do that is a guy who can take the ball every 5th day without guaranteeing a loss. Ventura's a better gamble to accomplish that than anyone we have right now.

That's why I'd be all for Ventura. He's as good a gamble as any that are currently available, to full that 5th spot. And he has the upside to give us more if we can get him moving in the right direction.
    Probably it is about semantics. Yeah, Ventura at the No. 5 spot is not a bad idea. On the other hand, IMO we have to grab first a solid No.1-2 and then if you want Ventura, I do not see it bad --at reasonable price of course.
    Tiburones Rojos de Veracruz & Boston Red Sox

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    In the words of Don Corleone when he slaps a crying Johnny Fontaine: "Act like a man!" No, offense ladies.