Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
From my experience, it's even worse in Manhattan.
New York sucks, but it's not as terrifyingly dangerous as Boston. In New York, most of the streets are clearly marked and the traffic signals and signs are both visible and unambiguous. The roads, while crowded, were built with the understanding that they would be used by thousands of cars and are accordingly spacious, at least in the busiest areas. In addition, the traffic moves so slowly thanks to gridlock that you are much less likely to be turned into roadkill.

In Boston, the traffic is still bad but there are far more parts of the city where people drive way, way too fast. The traffic signs and signals are sometimes nonexistent, and when they are there, they often require a degree in theoretical physics with a minor in differential calculus just to decipher them. Several times in Boston I went the wrong way down a one-way street because the "One Way" sign was placed midway down the street rather than at the end. There are a bunch of roundabouts that literally no one knows how to use, bike lanes that end abruptly in the middle of heavily trafficked areas (which would be even worse if the bicyclists actually used the bike lanes), and three or four lane streets that are barely wide enough for three cars. Some of the streets are so narrow I would swear they were intended for bikes or motorcycles only.