Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Baseball is a White Mans Sport" - Adam Jones

"Baseball is a White Mans Sport" - Adam Jones

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...port/90260326/

“We already have two strikes against us already,’’ Baltimore Orioles All-Star center fielder Adam Jones told USA TODAY Sports, “so you might as well not kick yourself out of the game. In football, you can’t kick them out. You need those players. In baseball, they don’t need us.

“Baseball is a white man’s sport.’’

Indeed, African Americans comprise 68% of the player population in the NFL, and 74% in the NBA. That number is just 8% in baseball, with only 69 African-Americans on the opening-day rosters and disabled lists this season.

Baseball is far from a white mans game, and this is a stupid statement by Jones.
    Last edited by Youk Of The Nation; 09-14-2016 at 01:55 AM.

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    I am of two minds about this. I try to keep political subjects out of this forum, as most of you know, but this is clearly baseball related, given that these statements were made about baseball by a baseball player. I'm going to let this discussion play out, however, I ask that everyone try to remain civil, and also try to keep the discussion from moving away from baseball. SC30, that is why I edited your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

I don't think Jones' statement means what SC30 thinks it means.
    We miss you Mike.

I don't think I have any problem with his statement.

Compared to the other 2 major sports, MLB is a "white man's game". I don't see any need to disagree or debate the issue. It is what it is for various logical reasons.

no problem with anyone voicing their opinion. but i think Mr. Jones would have been more correct had he said "baseball is not a black man's sport".
    calling it a "white mans sport" he is:
    A. Lumps in all Latinos as "white men"
    II. completely ignores the ~30% Latino players that are on MLB rosters
    other names i have posted under: none

How many Black men own MLB teams?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

About 60% of the league is white, 30% latino (which would probably include latino guys that see themselves as black like Papi), 8% black and 2% asian. As a middle aged white guy, it's hard to really speak towards a black man's perspective on this. I can see where he's coming from, but can only imagine what would happen if a white guy complained that the nba was a black man's league.

The problem is that baseball is a sport that takes a lot of space and equipment to play. Instead of focusing on what the league looks like now racially, I think MLB should keep working on bringing the game back to the inner city.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    i cant think of any. why?
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    The diversity at ownership level is no different in Football or Basketball.

Edit: Singling out baseball as a "White Man's" sport is ridiculous and absurd. It would be like a White Basketball player calling basketball a "Black Man's" sport because there are more black players.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 09-14-2016 at 09:12 AM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

The diversity at ownership level is no different in Football or Basketball.

Edit: Singling out baseball as a "White Man's" sport is ridiculous and absurd. It would be like a White Basketball player calling basketball a "Black Man's" sport.
    But the diversity on a coaching/management level is.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    About 60% of the league is white, 30% latino (which would probably include latino guys that see themselves as black like Papi), 8% black and 2% asian. As a middle aged white guy, it's hard to really speak towards a black man's perspective on this. I can see where he's coming from, but can only imagine what would happen if a white guy complained that the nba was a black man's league.

The problem is that baseball is a sport that takes a lot of space and equipment to play. Instead of focusing on what the league looks like now racially, I think MLB should keep working on bringing the game back to the inner city.

They're working hard at it, in all fairness.
    We miss you Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    [/B]

They're working hard at it, in all fairness.
    In all fairness, that's why I wrote "keep working on."
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I get that. I was just trying to drive that point home.
    We miss you Mike.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by User Name? View Post
    But the diversity on a coaching/management level is.
    I found this. I realize that it is 3 years old, but I was surprised at some of the data.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/d...e-nfl-and-mlb/
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."