Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2024 Red Sox Defense

2024 Red Sox Defense

So far, the Sox have been much better than they were last year. In 2023, they were just pathetic; ranked 30th in the league with -50 OAA. With Story going down, the defense is going to take a little bit of a hit again and Devers too since Devers relies on a strong SS to help his deficiencies. Sox clearly punted on 2B. Casas has been Casas. He can be better and really needs to be if he wants to get PAID. The Catching is what it is and McGuire seems much more healthy than he was last year when his defense slid a bit. No complaints about the OF rotation of Rafaela/O'Neilll/Duran/Abreu.

@redsoxstats
    Duran in the first Red Sox player to qualify for the Outfielder Jump Leaderboard, and he's initially ranked 7th of 35 qualified.
    14th/35 Reaction
    3rd/35 Burst
    10th/35 Route
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Maybe by the end of 2025

(Trade Yoshida)

C: Teel, Wong
    1B: Devers (Casas)
    DH: Casas (Devers)
    2B: Grissom (Story)
    SS: Story, Mayer
    3B: ______
    LF: Duran
    CF: Rafaela (Anthony)
    RF: Anthony, Abreu

That could be a decent defensive team.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Maybe by the end of 2025

(Trade Yoshida)

i would love to see this. Yoshida is another giant dud from Bloom. too bad they didn't unload him and sign Chapman like notin suggested earlier.

Maybe by the end of 2025

(Trade Yoshida)

In this situation, just move Mayer to 3B? Also, there's no confirmation that Grissom is a starter. Maybe Mayer is the 2B?

Deity
    I certainly thought our defense had improved this year--and said so, mostly because the pitching has been spectacularly good, the best in MLB after just 10 games.

But guess what? 9 of the 22 runs scored against the Sox were unearned. That to me bespeaks lousy defense--and the fact that Story played excellent defense at SS could not prevent the bungles by the likes of Rafaela, Abreu, Reyes, Casas, Devers, and Valdez.

Of those errors, to me the most forgivable one was by Devers, who had to deal with one of those in between high-hoppers, which he tried to grab while going backwards.

Rafaela's error was on a dead easy fly he decided to go casual on. Same goes for Abreu on an easy grounder single he let get through his legs. Same for Casas--of course Casas--on another easy grounder. Same for Valdez on a throw to 2b, which he dropped.

Also, let's not forget that, while I think we can all agree Trevor Story is superb on defense, at 2b or SS, he can't stay healthy. I hasten to add he's getting paid $22M/year primarily for hitting, which he has yet to do.

Speaking of hitting, I don't see a whole lot of them in next year's hypothetical all-defensive team. I think I see 3: Devers, Casas, and Duran--and the latter two are probables, not certainties.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    In this situation, just move Mayer to 3B? Also, there's no confirmation that Grissom is a starter. Maybe Mayer is the 2B?
    True, but if I had to guess who is more likely to be a MLB starter in 2025, I'd go with Grissom over Mayer.

Mayer at 3B could work, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I certainly thought our defense had improved this year--and said so, mostly because the pitching has been spectacularly good, the best in MLB after just 10 games.

But guess what? 9 of the 22 runs scored against the Sox were unearned. That to me bespeaks lousy defense--and the fact that Story played excellent defense at SS could not prevent the bungles by the likes of Rafaela, Abreu, Reyes, Casas, Devers, and Valdez.

Of those errors, to me the most forgivable one was by Devers, who had to deal with one of those in between high-hoppers, which he tried to grab while going backwards.

Rafaela's error was on a dead easy fly he decided to go casual on. Same goes for Abreu on an easy grounder single he let get through his legs. Same for Casas--of course Casas--on another easy grounder. Same for Valdez on a throw to 2b, which he dropped.

Also, let's not forget that, while I think we can all agree Trevor Story is superb on defense, at 2b or SS, he can't stay healthy. I hasten to add he's getting paid $22M/year primarily for hitting, which he has yet to do.

Speaking of hitting, I don't see a whole lot of them in next year's hypothetical all-defensive team. I think I see 3: Devers, Casas, and Duran--and the latter two are probables, not certainties.
    We've also seen some no error plays, especially missed DPs.

With Story out, my guess of finishing around 16th from 30th might need to be adjusted to 20th to 24th.

True, but if I had to guess who is more likely to be a MLB starter in 2025, I'd go with Grissom over Mayer.

Mayer at 3B could work, too.
    More likely? Both come with injury issues at the moment. Mayer has the higher ceiling. Grissom is closer. Hard to really say.

Deity
    We've also seen some no error plays, especially missed DPs.

With Story out, my guess of finishing around 16th from 30th might need to be adjusted to 20th to 24th.
    Right now I do like Rafaela, Duran, and O'Neill in the OF. I also like Wong and McGuire behind the plate.

The problems are in the infield, which right now does not have one good glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Right now I do like Rafaela, Duran, and O'Neill in the OF. I also like Wong and McGuire behind the plate.

The problems are in the infield, which right now does not have one good glove.
    We don't even have one near average infielder on D.

Outs Above Average has us ranked tied for 21st at -2. That's 10 better than Miami.

Last year, we were 30th at -50, which was 13 worse than CIN, 20 worse than MIA and an amazing 30 worse than #27 LAA!

+1 Rafaela, Duran & Story
    0 Abreu & Casas
    -1 Devers, O'Neill, Valdez
    -2 Reyes

DRS: Sox place 16th at zero.

Last edited by moonslav59; 04-08-2024 at 02:43 PM.

Don't worry, Bailey is working on more strikeout pitches right now. Just push the moon in front of the sun and batters won't even make contact.

We don't even have one near average infielder on D.
    Valdez looks better this year, I think Casas is going to be fine, and Devers has had seasons were he's rounded out to being average. Having a good SS changes a lot, which is why I'm a big proponent of moving Rafaela there. Rafaela playing SS was already part of their plan, now they're only increasing by a few games a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.

Valdez looks better this year, I think Casas is going to be fine, and Devers has had seasons were he's rounded out to being average. Having a good SS changes a lot, which is why I'm a big proponent of moving Rafaela there. Rafaela playing SS was already part of their plan, now they're only increasing by a few games a week.
    Rafaela is not great on D at SS. He's okay and maybe a plus.

What we lose in CF might not offset the gain we get at SS. I realize SS make or misses more plays than CF, so you might be right.

Rafaela is not great on D at SS. He's okay and maybe a plus.

What we lose in CF might not offset the gain we get at SS. I realize SS make or misses more plays than CF, so you might be right.
    The drop off in CF to Duran is not as bad as the drop off at SS to Hamilton/others.

Also I think it's a mischaraterization to say "not great" he's defense has been characterized many times as plus at SS. He grew up playing SS, and continued playing it 1-2 times week while he's been in the minors in the Sox system.

Sox may very well roll the dice with Hamilton at SS, but Rafaela is their best option there right now and IMO it's not even close.
    New Prediction. The Sox will make a major starting pitching acquisition in the 2023/24 offseason.