Register now to remove this ad

Page 283 of 299 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285293 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 4478

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part I

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    At the time of the trade, we were 50-38 and 2 games up in the division.

Seems we were doing pretty good despite the fact that we had these numbers from our 4 through 9 starters:

3-9 5.91 Buch (13 GS)
    2-0 8.46 Kelly (6)
    1-3 8.59 ERod (6)
    2-0 6.75 O'Sullivan (4)
    0-0 5.11 Owens (3)
    0-1 15.88 Elias (1)

No doubt, these numbers were frightening, while Pomeranz had put up great numbers in the first half of 2016, but we didn't "have to" do anything. Pomeranz's second half performance proved we didn't, and yes that is hindsight, but I still think we didn't need to try and find a number 3 type starter. A one year fifth starter rental was an option as well as doing nothing but hope Buch or ERod would rebound.
    It's easy now to say we didn't have to do anything after the fact, at that point in the season it was clear we needed to make a trade, you could not count on Buch and Erod rebounding.

Pom actually gave us some very valuable start in August that could have gone to Elias, Osullivan or Owens, which would not have been ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    It's easy now to say we didn't have to do anything after the fact, at that point in the season it was clear we needed to make a trade, you could not count on Buch and Erod rebounding.

Pom actually gave us some very valuable start in August that could have gone to Elias, Osullivan or Owens, which would not have been ideal.
    Again, it's NOT AFTER THE FACT.

I despised the trade from the first minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Let's give us five starters for now.

Is our option after those five really the WORST in MLB? Are we that bad?
    I'm not so sure Kendrick, Johnson, Owens and Elias are even bottom tier (16 or worse) 7 through 10 starters in MLB.

Not many teams have quality deeper than starter 4 or 5. We have maybe one of MLB's best 6th starter (if healthy) and 7 through 10 are probably pretty close to other teams.

Yes you did. We never heard the end of it.

People here can have a memory of convenience.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    Of course at that time we needed a starter, we had Porcello, Price and Wright and some really bad starts from everybody else. We stayed ahead of the market for Pom. The return on Rich Hill was even worse. Beane was also asking for Espi for Hill , an upcoming free agent who was injured. for it to work out for us Pom has to stay healthy, but Espi is a long way from being a major league pitcher and a lot of factors can impede his development.
    I'm not ready to throw this kid under the bus. His health obviously is a concern going forward. He has a great arm and it is way to early to give up on him.

You hated the trade and we get it. But I think you're lying to yourself if you thought we should have done NOTHING. That's what is meant by AFTER THE FACT.

All-Star
    You hated the trade and we get it. But I think you're lying to yourself if you thought we should have done NOTHING. That's what is meant by AFTER THE FACT.
    That also is what I was saying, no way did they not need to acquire a starter.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    I'm not ready to throw this kid under the bus. His health obviously is a concern going forward. He has a great arm and it is way to early to give up on him.
    I agree.

Just an observation, maybe appropos exactly nothing...

Isn't it amazing how Spring Training and small sample size stats don't mean anything when a player is doing well in ST, but when a player is doing poorly those stats are everything?
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post

Isn't it amazing how Spring Training and small sample size stats don't mean anything when a player is doing well in ST, but when a player is doing poorly those stats are everything?
    So true.

Kendricks may get shelled when he pitches during regular season but he has mowed down the opponents that he came across in ST.

There's no denying that he has had command of his pitches. More than what we can say for many of our pitchers.

Deity

That my friend is a great observation!

I never said "we should have done nothing", but I am saying it was a viable option.

My position was to get a serviceable 5th starter or go for an ace (like Sale or Quintana)... not overpay for something in between. I'd have preferred nothing over the trade we made, and I made that very clear at the time, and when we had the chance to reverse the trade after the trade deadline was past. That is proof that I preferred nothing over this trade. It does not mean doing nothing was my first choice. I posted many times my ideas of what kind of trade I preferred. I'm not sure the CWS were ready for a big trade last summer, and I guess we'll never know, but I think they'd have made the trade with Espi instead of Kopech (or maybe with both going to Chicago with Basabe and Diaz staying here).

I actually liked Pomeranz and was happy he had 2.5 years of team control, but I still hated the trade more out of my view that trading a guy like Espi should only occur as part of a larger package to get an ace- not a guy with just a few months of great pitching.

Depends on context.
    We miss you Mike.

I don't think ST'ing numbers mean all that much in any context, except to reveal if a questionable player is healthy or not.

The only thing I look at from spring training is.....

Players getting in shape for the real games.

Players who are injured getting their form back.

Battles for spots if any

Plus that one surprise in camp . The kid or man who makes the team , when they said was no chance.