Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Papi, Teddy or Foxx---your choice

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Seeing Mo Vaughn's name ahead of Nomar's makes my heart feel very warm.
    ...but, seeing his name ahead of Yaz gives me the taste of vomit in my mouth.

Wow on the Trotskyite.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ...but, seeing his name ahead of Yaz gives me the taste of vomit in my mouth.

Wow on the Trotskyite.
    Well, you used career WRC+ and Carl had a lot of down years towards the end of his career.

Maybe you should have done the 5 best seasons for each?

Mo's WRC+ doesn't include his downward spiral with the Angels and Mets. His career WRC+ is 129 (same as Lynn's career total).
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Since the talk was greatest Sox hitter, was fair to stick with Red Sox careers - so Yaz' career suffers due to it just being so darn long. I used 3500 PAs so we could get a sample of 5ish seasons in a Sox uniform. But to examine peak, the 25 best Red Sox SEASONS by wRC+

1. Ted Williams 1957 - 223
    2. Ted Williams 1941 - 221
    3. Ted Williams 1946 - 215
    4. Ted Williams 1942 - 209
    5. Ted Williams 1954 - 207
    6. Ted Williams 1947 - 207
    7. Babe Ruth 1919 - 203
    8. Yaz 1967 - 194
    9. Ted Williams 1949 - 189
    10. Manny Ramirez 2002 - 185
    11. Ted Williams 1948 - 183
    12. Jimmie Foxx 1939 - 181
    13. Yaz 1970 - 179
    14. Ted Williams 1958 - 179
    15. David Ortiz 2007 - 175
    16. Fred Lynn 1979 - 174
    17. Ted Williams 1956 - 174
    18. Jimmie Foxx 1938 - 173
    19. Wade Boggs 1987 - 171
    20. Yaz 1968 - 170
    21. Bob Johnson 1944 - 169
    22. Dwight Evans 1981 - 168
    23. Wade Boggs 1988 - 167
    24. Ted Williams 1951 - 166
    25. Carlton Fisk 1972 - 165

Quote Originally Posted by bosoxmal View Post
    Yes, my first game was in 1932. At Braves Field. I remember the year, and that it was mid summer. We were moving from Keene, NH., where I was born, to Somerville where I grew up. My father worked on the railroad and he took me down to Boston before we moved. The idea being to keep me from being traumatized, I guess. He took me a game because I spent every decent day playing somewhere. My first hero was Wally Berger.

Fox was the best RH hitter who ever played the game. His longevity was something else. It would be difficult to chose between Foxx and Gehrig. I think lefties always have had a little advantage. There are a helluva lot more RH pitchers than there are LH pitchers. It's been a long, long time, and I know sometimes memory banks play tricks sometimes. You remember what you want to remember, I guess. My father took me to at least 6 to 8 games a year. Almost always on a Sunday. At that time he had a steady run, and Sundays was his day off. When Cleveland came to town, it seemed that it was a tradition that Grove would pitch, and Cleveland sometimes arranged their staff so he would face Feller. Reason? The Gate! Ticket prices peaked at about $.55 for the grandstand, and when you were making $75 every two weeks, that was a lot of money. I hope some others here who were born in the earl twenties could add to this. Thanks for asking.
    I thought you might like this article on Foxx. He was a great all around ballplayer.

http://sabr.org/research/real-jimmie-foxx

Yes, my first game was in 1932. At Braves Field. I remember the year, and that it was mid summer. We were moving from Keene, NH., where I was born, to Somerville where I grew up. My father worked on the railroad and he took me down to Boston before we moved. The idea being to keep me from being traumatized, I guess. He took me a game because I spent every decent day playing somewhere. My first hero was Wally Berger.

Fox was the best RH hitter who ever played the game. His longevity was something else. It would be difficult to chose between Foxx and Gehrig. I think lefties always have had a little advantage. There are a helluva lot more RH pitchers than there are LH pitchers. It's been a long, long time, and I know sometimes memory banks play tricks sometimes. You remember what you want to remember, I guess. My father took me to at least 6 to 8 games a year. Almost always on a Sunday. At that time he had a steady run, and Sundays was his day off. When Cleveland came to town, it seemed that it was a tradition that Grove would pitch, and Cleveland sometimes arranged their staff so he would face Feller. Reason? The Gate! Ticket prices peaked at about $.55 for the grandstand, and when you were making $75 every two weeks, that was a lot of money. I hope some others here who were born in the earl twenties could add to this. Thanks for asking.
    Thanks for sharing those memories.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

How about these two back-to-back seasons by a Red Sox shortstop?

.290 39 159 (led AL) .930 OPS
    .295 30 144 (led AL) .872 OPS

I know bosoxmal knows who I'm talking about, but does anyone else?

Oh my God, I thought we were about to get a Don Buddin reference, who epitomized the RS and their plight in the late 50s.

Or Pumpsie Green.
    Frank Malzone 1930-2015 R.I.P.

Petrocelli or Nomar?
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Petrocelli or Nomar?
    700hitter got it above - Vern Stephens.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    I thought you might like this article on Foxx. He was a great all around ballplayer.

http://sabr.org/research/real-jimmie-foxx
    Thank you! Two things sent my memory bank into full gear. I'm not checking stats because they might conflict with the memories; One was his fielding at first base. I believe his stats were greater than great, but his range was very limited. This is a little unfair because he was compared to an incredibly talented 1st baseman (Babe Dahlgren) who followed him. Everyone knew he was always playing hurt, and I doubt if many fans booed when a ball slipped past him and over the base. Another part of the story that was always of interest to me was his alcoholism. I would not be around now except that in 1960, at the age of 36, I found myself in AA. I guess it was at least 15 years after that when I heard of his poverty and alcohol problems.I went into the service in March 1943, and did not come home until September 1948. No one sought out copies of the Stars and Stripes more regularly than I did. Yes. Jimmie Foxx will always be my all time favorite. Thanks again for the article. I enjoyed reading it.
    Last edited by bosoxmal; 10-31-2016 at 09:33 PM.

Legend
    High Heat Stats ‏@HighHeatStats · 7h7 hours ago

Today in 1992, the Mariners signed David Arias as an amateur free agent. He was known for most of his career as David Ortiz.

0 replies 122 retweets 148 likes
    https://twitter.com/HighHeatStats

Sox Greatest Hitter of All Time

We Sox fans will miss David Ortiz. Probably as much as we missed Ted Williams and, before him, Jimmie Foxx. So, who was the greatest hitter of the three? Ted? Or, just maybe, Foxx. Here are some very typical Foxx numbers for 1929 and, ten years later, 1939:

Games BA HR SLG OPS BB K

1929 .354 33 .635 .463 103 70

1939 .360 35 .694 .464 89 72

From one decade to another! Some day I'll do a similar look at Ted's. I have never paid much attention to WAR (too complicated), but if one subtracted the difference between BB and K's, then multiplied that with SLG, wouldn't that tell it all? What really startled me was the numbers ten years apart!
    I'd go with Ted Williams, Big Papi, and Jimmie Foxx in that order.

Deity

Got to be Vern Stephens

Deity
    Personally I've always felt Jimmie Foxx was one of the most, if not the flat out most underrated player in MLB history.

This is a guy who was second in all time home runs when he retired, youngest to 500 HRs before A-Rod. And remains the only player in MLB history to hit 50 home runs on a team that didn't hit 100...

Major Leaguer
    What do people think about Ortiz number being retired? I for one don't understand the rush or need to make another exception to their rules. I understood Johnny Pesky considering how much time he spent with the sox. I wasn't as big a fan of retiring Pedro's number, but at least they waited until he got in the HOF. Papi qualifies in all other ways and he will get in the hall. Ted Williams waited, Carl Yastremski waited, why not wait the 5 years for Papi as well?