Register now to remove this ad

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with baseball names

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    http://www.espn.com/boston/mlb/story...tire-86-season

Boyd told of his start on May 11, 1986, at Oakland when he smoked crack before taking the mound.

"I get to the ballpark, all the ballplayers are on the field, you know, taking batting practice and everythin'. And I walk in the clubhouse and I -- I got my pipe with me.

"I can remember going and locking myself up in the bathroom and smoking some dope right there at the ballpark. I was afraid that they knew and that the clubhouse manager had smelled it, he was gonna tell on me. So I gotta get rid of it.

"I had it under the bib of my cap, inside the crease inside of the cap. And when I was warming up in the ballgame -- third, fourth inning -- it fell off my head."

Boyd's violent delivery often led to his cap falling off.

"Every other pitch I pick it up, put it on. So it's one time, you know, I'm so into what I'm doing, I forgot that the dope is under my hat. So I look on the ground and I'm like, 'Damn, there's little rocks everywhere, man.' So I play it off as I'm walking back, I pick it up like -- dirt -- picking up (expletive), mashing it into the ground."
    Baseball in general had a massive cocaine problem in the 1980's, headlined by Steve Howe and his seven or so lifetime suspensions, as well as the 4 members of the KC Royals (Willie Wilson, Willie Aikens, Vida Blue and Jerry Martin) spending their off-season in prison on possession charges. The decade ended with famous Pittsburgh Drug Trials, where numerous players testified about their on-field and in-game use of cocaine,most memeorable of whom was Tim Raines, who testified in court that he used to slide into second base head first so as not to break vials of cocaine he had in his back pocket.

It was after this that baseball started instituting their drug policies, which were to root out cocaine originally, but included all illegal drugs.

And that was what evolved into today's steroid policies...

One word.

Klell.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

The Rays have a reliever named Jonny Venters. Sounds like a good name for a punk rock artist.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The Rays have a reliever named Jonny Venters. Sounds like a good name for a punk rock artist.
    I always though Antonio Bastardo was a great name for a Spaghetti Western villain...

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    Bastardo doesn't even make sense to me. It's not like an innocent name in another language that means something gross or funny or insulting in English. It means the exact same thing in Italian AND Spanish as it sounds like to us. How did that become a proper surname?!
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    Bastardo doesn't even make sense to me. It's not like an innocent name in another language that means something gross or funny or insulting in English. It means the exact same thing in Italian AND Spanish as it sounds like to us. How did that become a proper surname?!
    Maybe it was shortened at one point?

Something like that?

Still a strange name to use.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    There's also a town in Italy called Bastardo.

Different cultures see things differently, I guess...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Maybe it was shortened at one point?

Something like that?

Still a strange name to use.
    The original family name was Oldirtybastardo...

Daniel Poncedeleon is working on a no-hitter for the Cards.

In case any of you Seinfeld fans missed it, the Pirates currently have 2 utility infielders named Kevin Kramer and Kevin Newman.

And I believe these 2 deserve a mention on this thread:

Brady Feigl
    Brady Feigl

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    In case any of you Seinfeld fans missed it, the Pirates currently have 2 utility infielders named Kevin Kramer and Kevin Newman.
    And a few years ago, they had a utility infielder named Kevin Ross (which was George's fiance's last name)...

Jimmy Yacabonis

Deity
    One can only hope his nickname was Rick..

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=lessma001ric

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    One can only hope his nickname was Rick..

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=lessma001ric
    LOL

How did you dig that up?