Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: On second thought...

Not sure Hernandez has the 'arm' to play a consistent 3B. Sure would like to see the Sox find a third baseman ala 'Frank Malzone'!

Quote Originally Posted by dustcover View Post
    Not sure Hernandez has the 'arm' to play a consistent 3B. Sure would like to see the Sox find a third baseman ala 'Frank Malzone'!
    Loved him back when ... way back when. But let's not get carried away. He was a .270 hitter, who often led the league in errors (the announcers ... must have been Curt Gowdy, no? ... explained that this was because he got to so many balls), and had a curious weakness of letting balls hit directly at him go through his legs. For some reason, that image, of him looking over his right shoulder at one of these rolling slowly out to Williams is permanently burned into my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Emp9 View Post
    Does anyone think Betts would be a CF option in that scenario?
    Maybe, but I'm not sure about Beni's arm in RF.

Quote Originally Posted by dustcover View Post
    His bat may make up for a subpar arm when compared to Holt and Rutledge. It's not like either of those two are wonders on defense at 3B either.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Loved him back when ... way back when. But let's not get carried away. He was a .270 hitter, who often led the league in errors (the announcers ... must have been Curt Gowdy, no? ... explained that this was because he got to so many balls), and had a curious weakness of letting balls hit directly at him go through his legs. For some reason, that image, of him looking over his right shoulder at one of these rolling slowly out to Williams is permanently burned into my mind.
    Malzone's .270 came long before the mound was changed to help hitters. he was my favorite player for years.