Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Ump Show

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Joe bleeping West is wearing a white armband to protest umpire mistreatment today.

I'm dead.
    The only time Joe West has ever been good at something was when he had a cameo on Naked Gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzoXUrYP2R4
    I can't disagree with you

Does anyone find it ironic that they're wearing white wristbands for the umpire who is suing the MLB for racial discrimination?

I think MLB agreed with Kinsler

Joe bleeping West is wearing a white armband to protest umpire mistreatment today.

I'm dead.
    LOL This is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The only time Joe West has ever been good at something was when he had a cameo on Naked Gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzoXUrYP2R4
    Joe West did have one great game in his career though, and for that one game I'll always like him as much as I can like an ump.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Joe West did have one great game in his career though, and for that one game I'll always like him as much as I can like an ump.
    Can somebody remind me of this game? I think I know what you're talking about.

Personally, I've always respected umpires. Being one myself, I know how tough it is. You have to have the mindset of not being there to make friends, because, well, all of the players and coaches see you as inferior

2004 ALCS Game 6 vs. the Yanks. 2 calls correctly changed in our favor, including the infamous A-Rod slap play. In Yankee Stadium, and without benefit of viewing any replays.

2004 ALCS Game 6 vs. the Yanks. 2 calls correctly changed in our favor, including the infamous A-Rod slap play. In Yankee Stadium, and without benefit of viewing any replays.
    Yes! That's it. I knew the umpires in that game were fantastic, but I wasn't aware that West was one of them

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    That the umps would go to bat (heh heh) for this POS disgusts me. He should be shown the door, regardless of his illegitimate lawsuit.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

I was watching that game in real time and thought for sure no way we'd get either of them changed. For that alone, I support limited replay.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

and can you imagine if they hadn't reversed the bitchslap and the next guy hit a HR and we lost?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Personally, I've always respected umpires. Being one myself, I know how tough it is. You have to have the mindset of not being there to make friends, because, well, all of the players and coaches see you as inferior
    IMO, the umpires do a pretty good job for the most part. What irks me about them is when they let their egos get the best of them.

The first inning of last night's game once again demonstrated that many umps have a difficult time accurately calling balls and strikes. Sale had at least one clearcut strike called a ball and at least one borderline strike called a ball, so you're thinking, okay, tight strike zone tonight. Then our leadoff hitter gets rung up on a pitch about six inches outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    IMO, the umpires do a pretty good job for the most part. What irks me about them is when they let their egos get the best of them.
    The fact we know any of their names is usually a bad thing - especially where Hernandez and Bucknor are concerned.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Yes, I agree. I cringe at those moments. The game isn't about us, it's about the players.

The first inning of last night's game once again demonstrated that many umps have a difficult time accurately calling balls and strikes. Sale had at least one clearcut strike called a ball and at least one borderline strike called a ball, so you're thinking, okay, tight strike zone tonight. Then our leadoff hitter gets rung up on a pitch about six inches outside.
    Umps just don't set up very good behind the plate. The majority of them really struggle with the outside corner. I think they need to go back to the oversized balloon style chest protectors.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")