Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Ump Show

As an umpire myself, I was raised to always remain invisible. If we did blow a call, and knew it (not sure if this is the case with Kulpa), we have an obligation to let the coaches yell at us for a little bit, as long as they don't cuss or say anything that crosses a line.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Kulpa is umpiring the Sox/DBacks series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Kulpa is umpiring the Sox/DBacks series.
    Ffffffff
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    I saw that this AM. What a monster! Leave Finn alone!

https://twitter.com/PitchingNinja/st...94807133990912

Angel Hernandez is still umpiring MLB games in the Year of Our Papi 2019.

https://twitter.com/MaxWildstein/sta...66037059919874

Video showing the pitch in question.

Not really pertinent to MLB umps, but I thought this was worth sharing. It was written by a HS ump who was working a tournament recently.

From behind my mask, I can observe quirks and eccentricities that make baseball and the people who play it so interesting. This weekend’s games involved teams from three different states, so I got a glimpse of the subtle ways the game is played differently in each state, along with some unique personal and collective rituals.

The members of one team would stop and pat the top of their heads twice with their throwing hands whenever the top of the other team’s order came up to bat. That was charming and innocuous compared to the “rally zipper” ritual adopted by a team in a different game.

Most casual baseball fans are probably familiar with the “rally cap” scenario in which players on a team that’s trailing turn their caps inside out or backward in an effort to change their luck. In the rally zipper scenario, the team was leading by five runs but decided that to clinch the victory, the players would all unzip their flies as they took the field for the last inning. Teenage boys will be teenage boys.

They promptly gave up eight runs and lost. Until they started frittering away the lead, their coach seemed all in on the concept. By the time they started rethinking it, the proverbial cart was out of the barn.

As an umpire, I did briefly wonder if I should intervene. But while the baseball rule book is very clear on what constitutes an infield fly, it does not expressly address the question of whether flies should be zipped. I suppose the situation might have bumped up against the “making a travesty of the game” dictum, but the level of play during the previous six innings had already firmly established that we had all been participating in a travesty long before the floodgates opened.

And BTW, I like the idea of players patting the top of their heads when the leadoff hitter comes to bat. I shows that they're in the game and warns everyone else on the team that the (allegedly) best hitters on the team are coming to bat.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    Not really pertinent to MLB umps, but I thought this was worth sharing. It was written by a HS ump who was working a tournament recently.

From behind my mask, I can observe quirks and eccentricities that make baseball and the people who play it so interesting. This weekend’s games involved teams from three different states, so I got a glimpse of the subtle ways the game is played differently in each state, along with some unique personal and collective rituals.

The members of one team would stop and pat the top of their heads twice with their throwing hands whenever the top of the other team’s order came up to bat. That was charming and innocuous compared to the “rally zipper” ritual adopted by a team in a different game.

Most casual baseball fans are probably familiar with the “rally cap” scenario in which players on a team that’s trailing turn their caps inside out or backward in an effort to change their luck. In the rally zipper scenario, the team was leading by five runs but decided that to clinch the victory, the players would all unzip their flies as they took the field for the last inning. Teenage boys will be teenage boys.

They promptly gave up eight runs and lost. Until they started frittering away the lead, their coach seemed all in on the concept. By the time they started rethinking it, the proverbial cart was out of the barn.

As an umpire, I did briefly wonder if I should intervene. But while the baseball rule book is very clear on what constitutes an infield fly, it does not expressly address the question of whether flies should be zipped. I suppose the situation might have bumped up against the “making a travesty of the game” dictum, but the level of play during the previous six innings had already firmly established that we had all been participating in a travesty long before the floodgates opened.

And BTW, I like the idea of players patting the top of their heads when the leadoff hitter comes to bat. I shows that they're in the game and warns everyone else on the team that the (allegedly) best hitters on the team are coming to bat.
    Good stuff. Personally, I think the ump should have intervened on the fly thing, but that might just be me. Either way, it's rather funny that the team promptly gave up 8 runs and lost.

I've never been more in favor of robot umps than I am after today's balls and strikes horror show.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I've never been more in favor of robot umps than I am after today's balls and strikes horror show.
    Despite the horror show, I am still not in favor of robot umps. I don't think I can ever get on board with the idea.

Umpires make mistakes just like players and managers do . It is all part of the game .

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Umpires make mistakes just like players and managers do . It is all part of the game .
    Balls and strikes mistakes can easily be abolished. It's coming. A lot of folks won't like it, and I get that, but it's inevitable.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

As long as you have un-fireable umps like West and Hernandez, you need to consider your options. Their strikes zones are so terrible that robot umps would help. Estabrook yesterday was abysmal as well. The problem with the robot umps is that the home plate ump can override the call by their own judgement. I doubt Joe or Angel allow any technology to make their call
    Hal sucks

You wanna see a horrible call?

Look at the "check swing" on DJ Lemahieu on a 3-2 count. Leadoff walk instead of K. Guess who the ump was, you get two
    Hal sucks