Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Prospect Mega Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    True. For a brief moment there last summer it looked like we might have three legitimate blue-chip pitching prospects -- Espinoza, Kopech, and Groome -- to dream on, but now we really have almost all our eggs in the Groome basket. Maybe some of the secondary guys like Lakins or the others Moon named can take a big step forward, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.
    I don't expect anything from Raudes. If Groome doesn't make it, the next great Sox pitching prospect isn't in the organization yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    I'm hopeful at least one from Lakins, Raudes and Anderson can come through. Maybe we can add Cosart and Shawaryn to the list.
    Cosart is purely a bullpen arm.

All-Star
    Outside of Groome I don't think we have one starting pitcher in this system. Perhaps a swing guy, but I see all bullpen arms.

Not the worse thing in the world. You can rebuild your farm system trading away top end relief pitching now-a-days

All-Star
    I would not be moved in opinion based on an 18 year olds first start. Groome will be fine, he has a long way to go to reaching the minors but I doubt someone with his talents comes close to flaming out in A ball

All-Star
    Lacking has very good stuff, he is definitely a potential starter.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisk View Post
    Lacking has very good stuff, he is definitely a potential starter.
    Do you mean Lakins?

He has good stuff, and has a chance but I still think he projects better as a reliever.

All-Star
    For anyone who has not completely deserted the Owens bandwagon:

The PawSox won behind a strong start from Henry Owens, who struck out 10 in six innings while allowing just one unearned run. The tall left-hander has been using a new delivery and now has a 0.82 ERA in two starts.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2017/04...awsox.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    For anyone who has not completely deserted the Owens bandwagon:

The PawSox won behind a strong start from Henry Owens, who struck out 10 in six innings while allowing just one unearned run. The tall left-hander has been using a new delivery and now has a 0.82 ERA in two starts.

http://news.soxprospects.com/2017/04...awsox.html?m=1
    His biggest issue is BBs. Even with this nice start, he has 6 BB in 11IP.

Until he deals with that issue, he'll remain off my radar.

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    Do you mean Lakins?

He has good stuff, and has a chance but I still think he projects better as a reliever.
    Auto correct sucks. Yes Lakins his stuff is better this year. Two dominant starts.

His biggest issue is BBs. Even with this nice start, he has 6 BB in 11IP.

Until he deals with that issue, he'll remain off my radar.
    Agree. He also ends up throwing way too many pitches early as a result. Owens has has similar success in AAA. Last year he threw up some nice lines in Pawtucket.

Until he can do it with a steady diet of MLB hitters I am not counting on him for anything much.

I do like the kid, though.
    Last edited by Spudboy; 04-15-2017 at 11:47 PM.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Agree. He also ends up throwing way to many pitches early as a result. Owens has has similar success in AAA. Last year he threw up some nice lines in Pawtucket.

Until he can do it with a steady diet of MLB hitters I am not counting on him for anything much.

I do like the kid, though.
    For a while I had Owens ranked higher on my list than soxprospects.com. I really liked him early on.

I've just about given up on him now, but it's nice to see him doing better.

Owens is only 24. As frustrating as he's been, it's too soon to give up on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Owens is only 24. As frustrating as he's been, it's too soon to give up on him.
    I know he's there, but he's off my radar right now.

Double A
    usually tall LHP take some time to find themselves. too many examples to name. 24 years old and healthy, no way have I given up on Owens, nor Johnson/Ball (similarly tall)

Quote Originally Posted by rkarp1 View Post
    usually tall LHP take some time to find themselves. too many examples to name. 24 years old and healthy, no way have I given up on Owens, nor Johnson/Ball (similarly tall)
    Here's hoping you're right, rkarp.