Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 201 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Sox hitting??

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We've averaged 1.5 regulars out per daily line-up.

While injuries are a part of every team's season, we've had a revolving door of sorts.

I'm not making excuses. Injuries are only part of the story, but I do fully expect this team to still finish in the top 5 in runs scored.
    Top 5???? That's a bit of a fall from 2016 when the Sox led MLB in runs scored and led the AL by over 100 runs.

If that's your standard, I guess we have nothing to argue about. Too bad because I enjoy it--you know a lot more than I.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Top 5???? That's a bit of a fall from 2016 when the Sox led MLB in runs scored and led the AL by over 100 runs.

If that's your standard, I guess we have nothing to argue about. Too bad because I enjoy it--you know a lot more than I.
    We did have to expect a serious drop off without Ortiz.

Leading the league in runs scored again would be great, but with the additional of Sale and eventual return of Price, Thornburg and Smith, it might not be so bad even if the Sox don't...

Deity
    In the John Henry era the Sox have won the WS three times--in 2004, 2007, and 2013. In 2004 and 2013 the Sox led MLB in runs scored. In 2007 they were 3d in the AL in scoring, but led the AL in ERA.

Does anyone seriously believe this team will lead the AL in ERA this year? I love the addition of Sale, who clearly is an ace. I think Porcello will be decent and maybe Pomeranz and ERod. But Wright looks too inconsistent and Price's ERA last year was 5.

In the John Henry era the Sox have won the WS three times--in 2004, 2007, and 2013. In 2004 and 2013 the Sox led MLB in runs scored. In 2007 they were 3d in the AL in scoring, but led the AL in ERA.

Does anyone seriously believe this team will lead the AL in ERA this year? I love the addition of Sale, who clearly is an ace. I think Porcello will be decent and maybe Pomeranz and ERod. But Wright looks too inconsistent and Price's ERA last year was 5.
    Price's ERA was 4.

Price had a rough start last year, but settled in nicely as the season progressed. He probably wont be worth the contract he signed, but he is still a VERY good pitcher and way more consistent and trustworthy than Wright, Erod or Pom.

All-Star

That's the only way we can win by leading the league in either category? I think if they are good in both areas they have a good shot.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Price's ERA was 4.
    You're right.

Deity
    Actually, I think they do have to be good in both areas. In 2013 the Sox had very good hitting, but in the playoffs the team ERA was 2.
    Last edited by Maxbialystock; 04-24-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Legend
    Actually, I think they do have to be good in both areas. In 2013 the Sox had very good hitting, but in the playoffs the team ERA was 2.
    To win a championship pitching is much more important than hitting. Only three teams in 106 have won a ring with an ERA+ of less than 100 while about a third of championship teams had below average hitting. Generally though, you are right: most are upper third in both categories with pitching being much more important than hitting. I am not worried about leading the league in runs as long as our pitching is in the top 3 or 4.
    Here is an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/pitchin...championships/

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    To win a championship pitching is much more important than hitting. Only three teams in 106 have won a ring with an ERA+ of less than 100 while about a third of championship teams had below average hitting. Generally though, you are right: most are upper third in both categories with pitching being much more important than hitting. I am not worried about leading the league in runs as long as our pitching is in the top 3 or 4.

Thanks for the link, very interesting reading.

For the 2013 Sox, OPS+ 113 (1st) ERA+ 109 (T4th)

For the 2007 Sox, OPS+ 107 (3rd) ERA+ 123 (1st) 2nd place was not even close at 112, Yankees finished 1st OPS+ with staggering 116, but pitching wins.

For the 2004 Sox, OPS+ 110 (3rd) ERA+ 116 (2nd)

For the 2016 Sox, OPS+ 109 (T1st) ERA+ 114 (T2nd) BUT CLEVELAND ERA+ blew away Sox at 121.

Looks to be the best indicator of success.
    Last edited by Nick; 04-24-2017 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post

You're quoting The Hardball Times???

Legend

In 2015 the Toronto Blue Jays led the American League in scoring by 127 runs but finished fifth in runs scored last year en route to another postseason berth.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2015.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2016.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    In 2015 the Toronto Blue Jays led the American League in scoring by 127 runs but finished fifth in runs scored last year en route to another postseason berth.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2015.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2016.shtml
    But last year Toronto tied Red Sox for 2nd in ERA+.....again pitching rules? Despite +OPS of 100, league average.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    But last year Toronto tied Red Sox for 2nd in ERA+.....again pitching rules? Despite +OPS of 100, league average.
    You have to have a good team to make it to the playoffs. That's just common sense. When you get to the playoffs, it's largely a crapshoot. The best indicator of postseason success is regular season success.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    You're quoting The Hardball Times???
    Its a very informative article, wouldn't you say? The article is factual rather than opinion.