Register now to remove this ad

Page 12 of 171 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Jackie Bradley Jr be traded?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    UZR/150 uses the "eye test" from trained observers that try to be objective, are rotated, and are probably more consistent and unbiased than the average fan.
    Not to mention, fans doing the Eye Test tend to have incredibly lopsided sample sizes for players on their own team. Watching 1400 innings of Bradley and comparing it to 70 innings of, say, Kevin Kiermaier doesn't make for a fair and unbiased evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That's because those metrics look at defense differently.

UZR is a cumulative total of plays, although it can go negative for poor play. But as it is cumulative, missed time works against it. UZR does include position and park adjustments. UZR/150 is an extrapolation of UZR out to 150 games. Small sample sizes are useless in this extraction

DRS is measured against league average for the position, so JBJ's value can go up based on the poor defense of other centerfielder..
    Yes, the small sample size should not be used to judge a player's defense, but it is curious to see JBJ somewhat low so far this year, when my eye test has seen greatness.

UZR/150 is based on humans evaluating a player's chance of getting to a ball and either getting to it or an out of not.

Other metrics rank the difficulty of a play. Maybe JBJ makes a play look easy and they rank it as a routine out- not a tough one. That was my point.

The "Range" part of UZR has Jackie at +3.1 runs. His overall UZR, and hence his UZR/150, has been hurt by his "Arm" runs, which are at -2.4.

Advanced metrics are not likely to be 'deceived' by a player making a play look easy, even in the rankings of "difficult" plays versus "routine" plays. Those plays are not measured by the eye test, so Jackie making a play look easy would not affect the ranking.

Not to mention, fans doing the Eye Test tend to have incredibly lopsided sample sizes for players on their own team. Watching 1400 innings of Bradley and comparing it to 70 innings of, say, Kevin Kiermaier doesn't make for a fair and unbiased evaluation
    Even if a fan watched the exact same plays in the exact same number of innings, the evaluation is likely to be biased. It's just human nature.

A Red Sox fan would 'see' Bradley as the better CFer, and a Rays fan would 'see' Kiermaier as the better one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Even if a fan watched the exact same plays in the exact same number of innings, the evaluation is likely to be biased. It's just human nature.

A Red Sox fan would 'see' Bradley as the better CFer, and a Rays fan would 'see' Kiermaier as the better one.
    Maybe that biased thing would be true of some fans, but not all.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Maybe that biased thing would be true of some fans, but not all.
    The bias is heavily influenced by sample size. As Sox fans watch infinitely more Bradley than Kiermaier or Pillar - two equally elite defensive centerfielders - they will obviously see Bradley make more great plays than they will see the other two make. It's hard to get around it.

Are you implying you're not biased by lopsided samples? If so, what's your ranking of Bradley, Kiermaier and Pillar as defensive centerfielders and why?

The bias is heavily influenced by sample size. As Sox fans watch infinitely more Bradley than Kiermaier or Pillar - two equally elite defensive centerfielders - they will obviously see Bradley make more great plays than they will see the other two make. It's hard to get around it.

Are you implying you're not biased by lopsided samples? If so, what's your ranking of Bradley, Kiermaier and Pillar as defensive centerfielders and why?
    I would need to watch each of them in person, preferably from an outfield seat, for a series or two, preferably against each before I would offer an opinion ranking them in order. I haven't seen Kiermaier in person, but based on what I have seen on TV, I do consider him to be top shelf with Bradley and Pillar. As to who is best or a ranking of the three, I would expect the differences to be minor, and I am not sure the differences between the 3 of the very best would be very meaningful or that anyone's opinion or any data measure would be definitive.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I'll bite.

Of course I have seen much more of JBJ.

I think Kiermaier is probably equal to Bradley in getting to the ball because he appears to have better speed.

Bradley seems to have a better arm but I have not seen Kiermaier throw all that much.

I think Pillar has less skill overall but does have speed to run down shots.

It's a tough call.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

I would need to watch each of them in person, preferably from an outfield seat, for a series or two, preferably against each before I would offer an opinion ranking them in order. I haven't seen Kiermaier in person, but based on what I have seen on TV, I do consider him to be top shelf with Bradley and Pillar. As to who is best or a ranking of the three, I would expect the differences to be minor, and I am not sure the differences between the 3 of the very best would be very meaningful or that anyone's opinion or any data measure would be definitive.
    This makes sense.

I wonder how ballpark factors effect rankings. Especially those with turf.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Why doesn't 2 plays make up for a .200 batting average? If some other Major League center fielder is batting .280, that would only be 2 more hits a week than a .200 hitter.

Of course, when you consider MLB centerfielders this year are only hitting a combined .247/.313/.480, it does make Bradley's .211/.298/.394 and those 1-2 extra play a week a little more palatable...
    I remember the math from Major League, 2 scratch hits a week turns .250 into .300. I'm too lazy to do the math but would 2 hits not turn .200 into .250?. But I said he may take away 1-2 more hits than the Orioles center fielder. Maybe. And many weeks it's 1 or none. And of course his erratic arm may give back one of these plays every few weeks.

But as I said I understand mine is not a popular opinion and I can certainly see your side of the debate.

Deity
    I think you mean Bull Durham, and not Major League. And it was 1 hit pet week, not 2. But that was also based on 500 at bats over 25 weeks for .050 points of batting average

Basically most starters get about 25 at bats per week. So each hit is worth .040 on their avetage for that week. So if Bradley is saving 2 hits per week, is that or not worth the same as getting 2 more hits per week?

1-2 plays per week is a bigger difference than you seemed to think in your original post. To a hitter, it can be .2018040 batting average points. Don't you think it helps a pitcher similarly?

I think you mean Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch. When you are on all fours seems to be increase range 100%. Also, catching the ball with your mouth rather than stretching at 1B is equal to 1 WAR over the course of a single WS game.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Yaz Fan Since '67 View Post
    I remember the math from Major League, 2 scratch hits a week turns .250 into .300. I'm too lazy to do the math but would 2 hits not turn .200 into .250?. But I said he may take away 1-2 more hits than the Orioles center fielder. Maybe. And many weeks it's 1 or none. And of course his erratic arm may give back one of these plays every few weeks.
    And then we get into the unknowns of the issue, how many runs do those 1-2 "extra" plays he makes in a week save? Just last night we saw a SS mishandle a ball on a DP that cost his team 4 runs - and it wasn't even a charged error.
    It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All-Star game and the Old Timer's game.
    -Vin Scully

You cannot trust your " eye test ". You have to go by UZR , which is essentially someone else's " eye test ".

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    You cannot trust your " eye test ". You have to go by UZR , which is essentially someone else's " eye test ".
    But all those other eyes are objective!!!!!!