Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 171 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Jackie Bradley Jr be traded?

Should Jackie Bradley Jr be traded?

I've been browsing more then posting lately, and have seen this come up a lot, I think yes, maybe not now coming off an injury and struggling but lets face it, when he gets hot and his value is hot again we should deal him. He's a Scott Boras player and is gonna demand a lot of money, plus he's frustrating at plate and is a few years older than our other young stars (Mookie, Xander, Beni). Yes his Glove is nice but we need to cash in while we can. I wanted to trade him in off season but not a lot of people agreed with that and if last year was a fluke and he really cant hit, were screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenCurry30 View Post
    I've been browsing more then posting lately, and have seen this come up a lot, I think yes, maybe not now coming off an injury and struggling but lets face it, when he gets hot and his value is hot again we should deal him. He's a Scott Boras player and is gonna demand a lot of money, plus he's frustrating at plate and is a few years older than our other young stars (Mookie, Xander, Beni). Yes his Glove is nice but we need to cash in while we can. I wanted to trade him in off season but not a lot of people agreed with that and if last year was a fluke and he really cant hit, were screwed.
    Should have traded him this past offseason, when his value was at its highest. I thought that even at the time (though I didn't say it on here, because I only began posting a few weeks ago).

He is wayyyyyyy too streaky and has been a bad or mediocre hitter for longer than he's been a good hitter. Trading him would have meant you still have Benitendi and Betts, tons of cost-efficient (for now) youth/athleticism/ability in the outfield. Make Young your starting left fielder for a season or two and he'd probably put up serviceable numbers for very cheap, then sign a masher (which we probably should have done anyway, given our offense to this point in the season) or see if the farm turns up someone with a higher ceiling than Young. Not an expert on our farm, but admittedly can't recall any stud prospects being outfielders... anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by tombirner View Post
    Should have traded him this past offseason, when his value was at its highest. I thought that even at the time (though I didn't say it on here, because I only began posting a few weeks ago).
    I wanted to trade him as well--just had a bad feeling about the guy and, yes, he is way too streaky. They could have moved Benintendi to CF and brought in an offensive upgrade at LF. It is possible that another team would have overpaid for Bradley, coveting his OF defense.

It is too late to trade him now--his value is too low due to his slump. If he breaks out of it, I would consider trading him.

My fear is that Dombrowski is going to trade Devers this season. He has traded every other high upside Red Sox prospect. Why stop now?

I love JBJ so I have a bias for him and don't want to move him, but if they were going to move him, the time would've been in the off season when his value was the highest its been since he was a top prospect. Regardless of how JBJ plays the rest of the season I can't see him being moved in season, if anything possibly next off-season he could be moved.

What would you ask for in return? And can you get it? Betts and JBJ are under contract for three more years after this year and five more years for Beni.

Right now, outfield is not the area where I would focus on. Admittedly it's frustrating to wait for his hot streak to come around. We need to address our 3B situation until Devers is ready to take over.

I can see a blockbuster trade this off season if by chance we miss the playoffs or are eliminated in the wild card playoff. DD will not sit idly by.

Oh by the way, firing JB will be the first move if we don't make the playoffs.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonbay44 View Post
    I love JBJ so I have a bias for him and don't want to move him, but if they were going to move him, the time would've been in the off season when his value was the highest its been since he was a top prospect. Regardless of how JBJ plays the rest of the season I can't see him being moved in season, if anything possibly next off-season he could be moved.
    I think JBJ is one of the best defensive players in the league and his offensive showing when hot indicates he could hit. I long ago identified what I thought was his hitting issues and noted earlier this year that despite his statement to the contrary, he really did not change his hitting mechanics. Should he go with someone who would get his attention and have him try a shorter and more compact swing, he might hit very well indeed. In my opinion, the Sox should talk seriously with him about his career and get Chili Davis to do a swing makeover. The time to have done that was the off season, so now he is in a position where he is hurting the team and his trade value is minimal.

Trade players when their value is at its lowest? (For a moment, I thought I had failed to move from the LA Clippers board to this one).

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Trade players when their value is at its lowest? (For a moment, I thought I had failed to move from the LA Clippers board to this one).
    In defense of the OP, he did say 'when he gets hot and his value is hot again'.

Deity
    Bogaerts is a Broad client as well and would command a ton more cash than Bradley. Should he be traded too?

And would we even be discussing this if Bradley wasn't struggling?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    In defense of the OP, he did say 'when he gets hot and his value is hot again'.
    Why do fans think GMs don't recognize hot streaks and streaky hitters and therefore alue players differently if they have performed better over the last couple days?

GMs employ scouts and have a very good idea of how good Bradley is, including the streaky hitting thing.

Double A
    JBJ is worth holding on to. He is the best defensive player on a team that cant play defense. No one expected him to replace Papi's numbers so I don't see the logic behind trading him because he's in a slump. Also, Benitendi in CF? No thank you. He's pretty shaky out there with less ground to cover in LF and his arm is beyond erratic. The number of doubles would increase by 25% with that switch imo

Legend
    A hot streak is unlikely to change the trade value of a 27-year-old outfielder with 1,485 plate appearances in 410 MLB games.

Jackie Bradley is what he is ... and carries some value.

Of course Mookie Betts or Andrew Benintendi would command a greater return in trade.

I'm not sure what his trade value is. Everyone has a price.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

All-Star
    JBJ can't hit. Who waits for a guy to get "streaky". That's crazy. And is far from the best defensive outfit in baseball. He is smooth. He gets a good jump on the ball, then tthrows it to the wrong base---off line/

No, his defense is very much over rated. Watch the guy from the Rays, for example. As under rated as JBJ is over rated. Spectacular plays, yes. Of any value a this time. No.

Before the season gegan I lobbied (daily) for the Sox to get rid of him. My thought was to bring back Swihart as the left fielder. Put Benni in center. Swiahart has, I think, given up. The last time I looked, he was hitting about .200. So I was right and I was wrong. Par for the course.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I'm not sure what his trade value is. Everyone has a price.
    ZiPS, Steamer and FanGraphs Depth Charts project Jackie Bradley Jr. with rest-of-season WAR of 2.1, 2.4 and 2.1, respectively, after Bradley posted 4.8 fWAR last year and 0.1 fWAR to date this season:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...84&position=OF