Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017-18 International Signing Period

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I don't know where you see an apology in there, but whatever you need to tell yourself to get by.

Detente, though? That I'm always down for.

Not tag-teaming anyone, I assure you...I'm something of a lone wolf myself.

And feel free to query away, if you want to go down that rabbit hole.
    I think you fellas will get on just fine. You just need to circle each other and sniff each other for a bit. LOL!!!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Racist begging for apologies.

Not happening.

And feel free to query away, if you want to go down that rabbit hole.
    I do.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Racist begging for apologies.

Not happening.
    Haha.

Et tu, Spud?
    What?
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by SCM33 View Post
    Yup, these guys will get to know me REALLL well. Bullshit is not exactly something I tolerate.

The point, is those places suck, and so do you. GTFO
    Seriously, WTF is the idea of going after a solid poster like Jack Flap who no one has ever had any issues with.

Yeah, anyone who ever posted on another forum is a POS, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Seriously, WTF is the idea of going after a solid poster like Jack Flap who no one has ever had any issues with.

It is the direction this society is going.

Sad.

All-Star

Thanks, man. Yeah, I still don't know what that was all about. But whatever...moving on.

Something tells me the current run of SCM33 posts will be as short as the last few have. He'll get bored sooner rather than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Thanks, man. Yeah, I still don't know what that was all about. But whatever...moving on.
    Good idea.

This, 100%

This makes no sense. When the player is 25+ years old, he is no longer considered a MLB prospect. Its not easier to scout foreign players, thats why so few of them actually produce. Much easier to scout a collegiate player, since that's what they have always done. Foreign amateur competition is impossible to scout, since its no where near the competition in the collegiate levels.

You still didn't quote correctly and everything is bold, not sure if you said it, or someone else did.
    Youre wrong on this one. Japanese professional baseball is a lot more consistent than a high school league or even a college league to some extent as college uses metal bats. Anyone who doesn't think there is a difference hasn't played baseball at a high level. Cuban baseball is also more consistent. Japanese baseball is akin to AAA. Guys who raked in AAA and flamed out in the bigs usually do well there. Cuban baseball is a little more difficult to discern since we aren't sending AAAA castoffs there, but most scouts consider it akin to AA. If you have the chance to sign a guy who is absolutely abusing AAA and hits all the measurables (high spin rate, high exit velo, high pitching velocity etc) and they have the production, you have a guy who has a very high likelihood of making a big league impact.
    Hal sucks

This makes no sense. When the player is 25+ years old, he is no longer considered a MLB prospect. Its not easier to scout foreign players, thats why so few of them actually produce. Much easier to scout a collegiate player, since that's what they have always done. Foreign amateur competition is impossible to scout, since its no where near the competition in the collegiate levels.

You still didn't quote correctly and everything is bold, not sure if you said it, or someone else did.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Youre wrong on this one. Japanese professional baseball is a lot more consistent than a high school league or even a college league to some extent as college uses metal bats. Anyone who doesn't think there is a difference hasn't played baseball at a high level. Cuban baseball is also more consistent. Japanese baseball is akin to AAA. Guys who raked in AAA and flamed out in the bigs usually do well there. Cuban baseball is a little more difficult to discern since we aren't sending AAAA castoffs there, but most scouts consider it akin to AA. If you have the chance to sign a guy who is absolutely abusing AAA and hits all the measurables (high spin rate, high exit velo, high pitching velocity etc) and they have the production, you have a guy who has a very high likelihood of making a big league impact.
    Re-read what I wrote.

reading comp would help. My bad. Tired eyes I guess
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    I agree.

Japanese League is at least on par with AAA if not higher. They've got grizzled, seasoned vets in that league. The Korean league is weaker.

The international pool is a great loophole for richer teams to exploit. Teams should field a permanent scout in these Asian countries, especially Japan, if they aren't already.

For those who haven't, watch Japanese baseball and watch AAA to empirically evaluate them.
    Maybe you don't need a direct scout after all.
    Last edited by yankonyankee; 12-17-2017 at 12:27 AM.