Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 MLB Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    http://news.soxprospects.com/2017/06...ner-houck.html
    http://news.soxprospects.com/2017/06...ith-their.html

Not a bad first day, IMO. Seems like there's a fair amount of concern that Houck could end up in the bullpen, but his upside could be that of a #3/4 starter. Have seen Brannen compared to a Brett Gardner sort a couple of times.
    Given where you are picking and how thin your system has become, yeah that's not a bad first day. The first pick was all about getting a guy who could move through fast. The second pick was all about projection and athleticism
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Have you seen the state of catching these days in MLB?

Vaz & Leon are not "replacement level". They are much closer to average than replacement.

Plus, there are 6 teams with a team catching WAR of 0.1 or less, including the Nats, Jays and Mariners.

The Sox catching OPS is .690. That's not replacement level. It ranks 17th in MLB. It's just .014 away from top tier! Not bad for a catching tandem known for their defense.

5 teams have a catching OPS of under .619.

That's replacement level, and those teams would probably love to have Swihart or Vaz added to their catcher mix.

The Nats (.644) might even want Leon back.
    They are "known for their defense" but it doesn't look that way when I watch the games. Per Baseball Ref WAR, they are replacement level.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

3. Brett Netzer 2B UNC Charlotte

He's a hit first 2b without a lot of power. Average runner, projectable average defender who has been abysmal defensively this year. Should hit for average, but that's really his only plus tool per MLB
    Hal sucks

With their third-round pick (101st overall) the Red Sox select Brett Netzer, a second baseman out of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. The junior was ranked as the 237th best prospect in the draft by Baseball America, while MLBPipeline.com had him ranked at 197.

Netzer is known for his offense, with a quick bat from the left side of the plate that has consistently hit for average during his three years in college. After batting .318 as a freshman, Netzer hit .384 in 2016, though he regressed slightly this season, finishing the year at .342. Over the last two seasons he has combined to walk 54 times while striking out in only 47 of his 445 at-bats. Both Baseball America and MLBPipeline.com view him as an average defender with a subpar arm and average speed, so most of his value will be tied to his hit tool.

Standing at 6-foot, 190 pounds, Netzer put up decent power numbers in college, hitting 24 and 25 extra-base hits in 2016 and 2017, respectively. He also added eight extra-base hits in 99 at-bats in the Cape Cod League, where he hit .283/.360/.424 in 26 games with Hyannis.

Not surprising that they went middle IF. He's not a very highly regarded prospect though. Maybe hoping to save slot $$ on this pick?

@SoxProspects
    In the 4th Round (131st overall), the Red Sox select Oregon State RHP Jake Thompson.

Big slider.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Given where you are picking and how thin your system has become, yeah that's not a bad first day. The first pick was all about getting a guy who could move through fast. The second pick was all about projection and athleticism
    i forget. before this draft are we a top 15 farm system or bottom 5 "thin" system?
    other names i have posted under: none

@SPChrisHatfield

Reading up on Thompson, I wonder if Sox will stick him in bullpen and let him climb quickly, or try to work on command, third pitch as SP.

@mlananna

I see Jake Thompson as a reliever. Throws from stretch exclusively. When I saw him, he pitched off his slider. FB velo jumps in short stints

Thought this was interesting on the Netzer pick:

@SPChrisHatfield

Third-round pick Netzer hit well on the Cape last summer. Sox like to scout that league in their own back yard.

@alexspeier

The Red Sox took RHP Alex Scherff in the 5th round - one of the bigger prep arms in the draft. He'll be an over-slot sign.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...RYtR0q7L84Q.97

Strange to pick an over slot in the 5th round. Kid sounds like a good pick at this stage, but who knows what it'll take to sign him

@IanMBrowne

Red Sox making a strong run on right-handed pitching early in the draft, taking Seton Hall's Zach Shellenger in sixth round.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flap View Post
    I'd hate to sell low on Swihart...rather park him in Pawtucket and let him work his way back.

Flores will be far enough away that I doubt signing him will affect our willingness to trade any of our MLB/AAA catchers, though.
    Well, if they trade Vaz or Leon, Swi will be "parked" at Fenway.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They are "known for their defense" but it doesn't look that way when I watch the games. Per Baseball Ref WAR, they are replacement level.
    Fair enough, but fangraphs has Vaz at +0.4 and Leon at +0.1. In light of how WAR is boosted a lot by playing more games, those numbers are both significantly higher than "replacement level".

Our catcher team OPS is +0.5, which according to fangraphs ranks 20th. It's not great, but I would think replacement level would be around 0.0 and 26th or lower ranked.

Look, I'm not saying either of these guys are going to being us back something great in trade, but I truly believe several teams would significantly benefit by having one of these two on their teams. I can see us using one of our catchers as part of a larger package to get something we need more.

Vazquez has more value as he is younger and he has the better run prevention capability. Guys with rocket arms behind the plate are worth something. If you dealt Leon, you're getting a PTNBL. If you deal Vazquez, you might get a B prospect
    Hal sucks