Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2017 MLB Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Vazquez has more value as he is younger and he has the better run prevention capability. Guys with rocket arms behind the plate are worth something. If you dealt Leon, you're getting a PTNBL. If you deal Vazquez, you might get a B prospect
    We'd be trading vaz, probably with another player(s) for a vet that can help us this year- not a B prospect.

We'd keep Vaz rather than trade for that.

All-Star
    Some really interesting arms taken so far...I'm really intrigued by Scherff.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We'd be trading vaz, probably with another player(s) for a vet that can help us this year- not a B prospect.

We'd keep Vaz rather than trade for that.
    So we'd dump our best starting catcher and a top prospect to bring in a guy at the deadline? Hard pass on that one.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

http://soxprospects.com/2018.htm

2018 projected rosters have been updated to include this year's draft picks. They should be able to sign everyone they want to.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    So we'd dump our best starting catcher and a top prospect to bring in a guy at the deadline? Hard pass on that one.
    I'm not saying we are going to do it, but we certainly would never trade Vaz for a B prospect.

Yes, Vaz has been our best catcher so far this year, but it wasn't long ago, he was seemingly in Farrell's dog house.

To be traded, Sox management would have to have faith in Swihart's ability to take his place. This is not likely, in my opinion, so I do NOT think Vaz will be traded.

I do think there is a chance one of our top 3 catchers are traded at the deadline. To get a good player without giving up Devers, Groome of Travis, something has to give.

We may choose to "go light" and not do anything major. My response of possibly trading Vaz was under the assumption we might want to get a major piece (big bat) at the deadline.

http://soxprospects.com/2018.htm

2018 projected rosters have been updated to include this year's draft picks. They should be able to sign everyone they want to.
    This projection has Leon and Ross gone. They have Marco & Wright in AAA with the 25th slot open for an acquisition.
    Travis at 1B and Devers at 3B as starters.

As expected, nothing really jumps out from the 11-20th rounds.

The one thing that doesnt make sense is the drafting of Scherff in the 5th round. This is a kid who safely ranked mid 2nd round and has tons of leverage. Either they were saving money up to sign him or they didnt want to risk losing a higher pick but were reasonably sure they'd get a deal done. He seems like a guy who should have gone in rounds 11-20. They must be reasonably sure they'd sign him, but I am not sure why. Their top pick should sign for slot and their second rounder might need more than second round money to sign. Their 4th rounder ranked end of 2nd in the MLB rankings as well. It's not like they kicked the can down the road for a bunch of picks to sign this kid. If they can sign him, then it's a steal, but I wouldnt be surprised if the sox fail to do so
    Hal sucks

The one thing that doesnt make sense is the drafting of Scherff in the 5th round. This is a kid who safely ranked mid 2nd round and has tons of leverage. Either they were saving money up to sign him or they didnt want to risk losing a higher pick but were reasonably sure they'd get a deal done. He seems like a guy who should have gone in rounds 11-20. They must be reasonably sure they'd sign him, but I am not sure why. Their top pick should sign for slot and their second rounder might need more than second round money to sign. Their 4th rounder ranked end of 2nd in the MLB rankings as well. It's not like they kicked the can down the road for a bunch of picks to sign this kid. If they can sign him, then it's a steal, but I wouldnt be surprised if the sox fail to do so
    Insurance, in case they fail to sign a top pick or leverage to use against their top picks?

I'm no expert on this stuff, so your guess is as good as mine.

Insurance isn't taken in the 5th round. Insurance is taken 11th round or later. If he doesn't sign, that money leaves their pot. One of the downsides of that is that you also lose the 5% overage you are allotted to sign more overslot guys. If you look at our top 10 rounds, only one guy is a HSer after the second round and he wasn't nationally ranked (4th rounder). He likely said he would sign and doesn't seem to be an overslot. Scherff is a top 60 prospect, he will be tough.
    Hal sucks

the one thing that doesnt make sense is the drafting of scherff in the 5th round. This is a kid who safely ranked mid 2nd round and has tons of leverage. Either they were saving money up to sign him or they didnt want to risk losing a higher pick but were reasonably sure they'd get a deal done. He seems like a guy who should have gone in rounds 11-20. They must be reasonably sure they'd sign him, but i am not sure why. Their top pick should sign for slot and their second rounder might need more than second round money to sign. Their 4th rounder ranked end of 2nd in the mlb rankings as well. It's not like they kicked the can down the road for a bunch of picks to sign this kid. If they can sign him, then it's a steal, but i wouldnt be surprised if the sox fail to do so
    Break out the chart!!1!!!
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

@alexspeier

Within this look at Red Sox draftees: Sox expect to reach quick agreements with all of their top-10 picks

That Scherff will sign is a particularly noteworthy development. He was viewed as a first- or second-round talent who fell to the fifth round in no small part due to signability concerns given that he had a potentially significant amount of leverage as a draft-eligible sophomore had he fulfilled his scholarship commitment to Texas A&M. Although he’ll sign, pending a physical and other standard protocols for draftees, for considerably more than the recommended slot figure of $296,500, the Red Sox’ ability to fit him within their overall draft bonus pool budget represents something of a coup.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/re...h8N/story.html

@alexspeier

Within this look at Red Sox draftees: Sox expect to reach quick agreements with all of their top-10 picks

That Scherff will sign is a particularly noteworthy development. He was viewed as a first- or second-round talent who fell to the fifth round in no small part due to signability concerns given that he had a potentially significant amount of leverage as a draft-eligible sophomore had he fulfilled his scholarship commitment to Texas A&M. Although he’ll sign, pending a physical and other standard protocols for draftees, for considerably more than the recommended slot figure of $296,500, the Red Sox’ ability to fit him within their overall draft bonus pool budget represents something of a coup.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/re...h8N/story.html
    It would certainly be nice, if we could sign all 10.

Let's hope DD & Co. did their homework this draft.

Sox had a good draft. They didn't have the slot to pick a premire talent like Andrew Benintendi nor did they have a guy like Groome fall to them but I believe they picked more top 100 guys than just about anyone.

It did seem like they took more talent to go over slot in the top ten than the past ten years but they should sign them all. The Sox have only failed to sign 3 top ten guys in the last 10 drafts and all three were 2011 or prior under the older rules. Virtually every team signs there top 10 picks nowadays. I think a better way to look at this is that the Sox have had contact with many of there guys, their agents and they have a really good ideal what everyones numbers are. Signing the top ten shouldn't be a probem.

I'm actually not super impressed with the 1st pick. He seems like the kind of guy DD falls in love with him and I see him turning more into a Matt Barnes type. Perhaps he can become an elite closer but It looks like he has a lot to work on to become a starter. But I suppose the floor is really high with that fastball and if he develops two other pitches he could easily be a work horse middle of the rotation guy.

It's actually the later picks I love more. Cole Brennen might have been one of the best athletes in the entire draft and has legit 30 SB potential. He's got toosl though. A good arm, quick feet, quick wrists. He's the type of guy who could be a Shane Victorino type if it all comes together.

I like Scherff a lot. He's on the older side for a highschooler but he just looks like he could pitch 200 IP right now. I actually think his ceiling could possibly be higher than Houcks but being younger and further away there are more ways for him to not get there.

Definitely some intriguing guys in the rounds after the top 10 as well, some of which wont' sign. I find Anu an intriguing guy who may not of had a lot of exposure being homeschooled but performed well for scouts and might have the best RAW power in the entire Sox draft.