Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2017 MLB Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Sox had a good draft. They didn't have the slot to pick a premire talent like Andrew Benintendi nor did they have a guy like Groome fall to them but I believe they picked more top 100 guys than just about anyone.

It did seem like they took more talent to go over slot in the top ten than the past ten years but they should sign them all. The Sox have only failed to sign 3 top ten guys in the last 10 drafts and all three were 2011 or prior under the older rules. Virtually every team signs there top 10 picks nowadays. I think a better way to look at this is that the Sox have had contact with many of there guys, their agents and they have a really good ideal what everyones numbers are. Signing the top ten shouldn't be a probem.

I'm actually not super impressed with the 1st pick. He seems like the kind of guy DD falls in love with him and I see him turning more into a Matt Barnes type. Perhaps he can become an elite closer but It looks like he has a lot to work on to become a starter. But I suppose the floor is really high with that fastball and if he develops two other pitches he could easily be a work horse middle of the rotation guy.

It's actually the later picks I love more. Cole Brennen might have been one of the best athletes in the entire draft and has legit 30 SB potential. He's got toosl though. A good arm, quick feet, quick wrists. He's the type of guy who could be a Shane Victorino type if it all comes together.

I like Scherff a lot. He's on the older side for a highschooler but he just looks like he could pitch 200 IP right now. I actually think his ceiling could possibly be higher than Houcks but being younger and further away there are more ways for him to not get there.

Definitely some intriguing guys in the rounds after the top 10 as well, some of which wont' sign. I find Anu an intriguing guy who may not of had a lot of exposure being homeschooled but performed well for scouts and might have the best RAW power in the entire Sox draft.
    Good summary.

I hope this draft gives us a few significant players when we need them.

@mlbtraderumors

Red Sox Sign First-Rounder Tanner Houck
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

@jimcallisMLB

1st-rder Tanner Houck signs w/@RedSox for $2,614,500 (pick 24 value). Missouri RHP, can run FB up to 98 from low slot tough on RHH @MLBDraft

Sox have an extra $283,355 to play with before any penalties. With their 8-10 picks, they save 405,900 they can allocate elsewhere. If all else signed for cap that gives them an extra $689,255 to play with assuming everyone else signs for cap (they won't). I suspect at least 1/2 of that will go towards Scherff. If thompson and Brennan get a lot above cap that won't give them much to play with in the latter rounds. But we shall see, it's still very early and I'm in no position to make predictions but it would be nice to be able to sign a few guys like Hanna, Perry, Diaz, Anu, or Dearden. If history is any lesson the Sox probably only get to sign one of those guys if that.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    Sox have an extra $283,355 to play with before any penalties. With their 8-10 picks, they save 405,900 they can allocate elsewhere. If all else signed for cap that gives them an extra $689,255 to play with assuming everyone else signs for cap (they won't). I suspect at least 1/2 of that will go towards Scherff. If thompson and Brennan get a lot above cap that won't give them much to play with in the latter rounds. But we shall see, it's still very early and I'm in no position to make predictions but it would be nice to be able to sign a few guys like Hanna, Perry, Diaz, Anu, or Dearden. If history is any lesson the Sox probably only get to sign one of those guys if that.
    Thanks for the info.

It's nice to see us start signing our picks.

I hope we can land Scherff.

All-Star
    Thanks for the info.

It's nice to see us start signing our picks.

I hope we can land Scherff.
    I'd be insanely surprised if we didn't land him. I believe we have signed 100% of our top 10 picks under the new system the past 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh2 View Post
    I'd be insanely surprised if we didn't land him. I believe we have signed 100% of our top 10 picks under the new system the past 6 years.
    That's good news.

@alexspeier

As @jimcallisMLB reports, Red Sox 5th rounder Alex Scherff signs for $700K. Sox had considered him for 1st rd pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Break out the chart!!1!!!
    Chart was trashed again...

@jimcallisMLB

2nd-rder Cole Brannen signs w/@RedSox for $1.3 mil (pick 63 = $993,900). Georgia HS OF, well ab-avg speed, hit & CF instincts. @MLBDraft

All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    @alexspeier

As @jimcallisMLB reports, Red Sox 5th rounder Alex Scherff signs for $700K. Sox had considered him for 1st rd pick.
    Sweet!

http://news.soxprospects.com/2017/06...ntinue-to.html

Sox have signed all top 10 picks except for Jake Thompson who has been busy playing in College WS.