Register now to remove this ad

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 06/21 Sox @ Kansas City

Can't really blame JF if no one in the bullpen can throw strikes. I'm sure in a game like that, that's the first thing a reliever is told or how he is trained: whatever you do, DO NOT WALK ANYONE.

The pen has been fantastic this year.

It's hard for me to get too critical when they have a bad game.

I think I get the theory behind the relief order of Kelly in the 7th, Barnes in the 8th and Kimbrelk in the 9th, but maybe it's time to move Kelly to the 8th. He's done a phenomenal job this year while Barnes has been more inconsistent.

PAs by inning (OPS in this inning):
    (Not counting today's game.)

6th
    34 Hembree (.928)
    16 Abad (.929)
    10 Ross (.650)
    9 Kelly (.111)

7th
    54 Kelly (.692)
    40 Hembree (.450)
    31 Barnes (.647)
    21 Ross (1.032)
    19 Boyer (.842)
    15 Scott (.500)
    15 Taylor (.921)

8th
    72 Barnes (.631)
    35 Kelly (.512)
    30 Abad (.530)
    30 Hembree (.670)
    25 Scott (.518)
    24 Boyer (1.314)
    10 Kimbrel (.311)

9th
    98 Kimbrel (.283)
    21 Abad (.952)
    18 Barnes (.866)
    17 Scott (.180)
    14 Kelly (.298)
    11 Hembree (1.636)

Extra Innings
    14 Abad (.452)
    12 Hembree (.917)
    9 Barnes (.778)
    7 Kelly (.286)

Total Relief PAs and OPS against
    144 Hembree .471
    131 Barnes .676
    120 Kelly .519
    111 Kimbrel .278 (WOW!!!)
    85 Abad .703
    66 Taylor .920
    64 Scott .462
    55 Boyer .891
    45 Ross .850
    24 Workman .917
    18 N Ramirez .752

Also, looking at our RP'er numbers, one has to think we could get even better with a healthy Smith and Ross replacing Boyer and Abad (or Scott).

Barnes OPS in "save"/high lev situations is around .837 this year

and .860 for career.
    Last edited by Station 13; 06-21-2017 at 05:28 PM.

If I'm not mistaken, that is the first game that we've lost when we've been tied or ahead going into the 8th inning. So, I can't get too upset with the pen. That said, I hate when the relievers come in and hand out free passes like that. That was a tough loss to take.

All in all, not a bad road trip in which we made up a lot of ground on the Yankees.

I can't really blame Farrell for the use of the pen. There is not much he can do if the relievers don't execute.

The relievers spit the bit today. Farrell might have been a little quick on the hook with Pom, but I can't be too critical of that. Barnes was just awful. He seemed to have completely lost his release point. Scott has been money this season, but he was bad today. I hope that they are not getting noodle arm from overwork. Barnes was a horror show in the second half last year after being over used in the first half.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Pomeranz becoming the pitcher we traded for is more important than today's win. If Pomeranz is now that "about as good as Edwardo Rodriguez" pitcher that we originally wanted, then guys, we have one more piece of the puzzle for this team being good enough to win the division.

Quote Originally Posted by Navafan29 View Post
    Pomeranz becoming the pitcher we traded for is more important than today's win. If Pomeranz is now that "about as good as Edwardo Rodriguez" pitcher that we originally wanted, then guys, we have one more piece of the puzzle for this team being good enough to win the division.
    Lately, he has been our second best starter.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

IMO our rotation should be ranked as:

1) Sale
    2) Pom
    3) E Rod
    4) Price
    5) BDR

The last several games by Pom have been much better than i was expecting in May. If E Rod can come back and be what he was before the injury and if Price can work through his early struggles we will have a very good pitching rotaion, in spite of BDR's major regression

This is a good point. It's never good to lose, but there are usually positives that you can take from the losses.

Deity
    I agree Pomeranz has been remarkably good lately--basically since he made a scene after being taken out after 4 innings.

My concern remains, however, that he basically has just 2 pitches, knuckle curve and fast ball, which means he really has to have control.

Based on repertoire--at least three good pitches--and control, I think the rankings should be Sale, Price, ERod, Pom, and Porcello.

The bigger point, however, is that, when ERod returns, that's a pretty good rotation, especially if Pom can stay at this new level and if Porcello can somehow get his command back.

I agree with all the compliments for the bullpen and with moonslav's interesting stats.

I don't know if Pom has been remarkably good, especially since he was an All Star last year.