Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 60

Thread: Definitive, sustantiated role of Pedroia in Price/Eck incident

  1. #31
    This has become not about Price, Eckersley nor Pedroia. The media has its sights set on Farrell. They want Farrell gone IMHO

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    This has become not about Price, Eckersley nor Pedroia. The media has its sights set on Farrell. They want Farrell gone IMHO
    probably a good theory.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The time to complain about people being assholes is ALWAYS. The most important thing in this world is to be a genuinely good person.

    And as far as I know, there are no current Sox players with domestic violence, sex assault, DUI, firearm or other nonsense going on.
    But this is a witch hunt, pure and simple. The existence of this thread and the role of Pedroia not only proves that, but also shows how effective it is....

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    But this is a witch hunt, pure and simple. The existence of this thread and the role of Pedroia not only proves that, but also shows how effective it is....
    I just listened to Pedroia's interview. He is a man - he stood up like one - he answered all questions as well as he could. he says he is the leader. he says that Price will talk with Eck when he sees him. He says that Price is one of his most favorite teammates ever. He says that the team is not distracted and that they love each other. he says that they are focused. I am a fan - that is it - I am ok with him and what he said. Actually I am more than ok with it. A non-story - yup- leave it alone. That statement really is meant for the media and not for us. Move on!

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Once again, I don't disagree with really anything that you have said here but I'm going to hold the line I'm walking on all the way - This was a story that we did not need to know anything about. It became news because it was not handled properly from the beginning. Management gets a big fat 0 for the way they handled this one. Everyone is in an uproar and no one other than the people on the plane no the real facts of the story.
    I can agree with most of this as well. What should have been a blip on the radar has been allowed to snowball thanks to Farrell's failure to handle the situation.

    Pedroia's words today were encouraging. Get Price and Eckersley together, squash the damn thing, and move on. I'm a lot more worried about Price's health and what it means for our postseason chances at this point...

  6. #36
    If Lance McCullers told Nolan Ryan to fuck off on an airplane, it'd be a story in Houston, too, so IMO, this isn't just about the swarming Boston media, the story has legit play. Who leaked the story to begin with, and why? Ooh, the intrigue.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    If Lance McCullers told Nolan Ryan to fuck off on an airplane, it'd be a story in Houston, too, so IMO, this isn't just about the swarming Boston media, the story has legit play. Who leaked the story to begin with, and why? Ooh, the intrigue.
    Ryan is an owner.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
    [T]he conclusion to be drawn is that there is no practical value in seeking this ideal lineup, and in that case any way in which it might be meaningfully termed "best" is irrelevant, academic at best, pedantic at worst
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Unlike hot streaks and clutch, the “Cliff” is a myth. It can’t be defined, and it’s future existence cannot be proved.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    If Lance McCullers told Nolan Ryan to fuck off on an airplane, it'd be a story in Houston, too, so IMO, this isn't just about the swarming Boston media, the story has legit play. Who leaked the story to begin with, and why? Ooh, the intrigue.
    It is a joke and should be a non-story but with so many people thinking that our hitters are just underperforming so, it has become a scapegoat theory. There must be something wrong with them. That terrible incident on the team plane has to be the reason we just can't hit. It is once again a joke. They aren't that good. I applaud the moves made by DD and his efforts to build up our pitching core and solidify things defensively, but many of us did not have the great faith that by not replacing Ortiz our little hitters would be able score the runs necessary to win at this level. They have to work twice as hard to score.

  9. #39
    So many people on this site said that the sox O would be fine without Ortiz. You might be having some revisionism here.

  10. #40
    It's hard to see how this explains their performance. I can't imagine anyone going to the plate thinking, "I love Eck, thus I can't hit" or "Price really showed that guy ... I thus can't hit." I assume in baseball when you're at the plate, you're only thinking of yourself, not team 'chemistry'. The issue to me has nothing to do with performance. It's simply a question of whether multi-millionaire celebrities (in sports, entertainment, or government) are going to held to the same basic standards of civil behavior as the rest of us.

  11. #41
    Price actually pitched great his first few starts after the incident. That was back before the intrepid Mr. Shaughnessy elevated it to firestorm status.

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    It's hard to see how this explains their performance. I can't imagine anyone going to the plate thinking, "I love Eck, thus I can't hit" or "Price really showed that guy ... I thus can't hit." I assume in baseball when you're at the plate, you're only thinking of yourself, not team 'chemistry'. The issue to me has nothing to do with performance. It's simply a question of whether multi-millionaire celebrities (in sports, entertainment, or government) are going to held to the same basic standards of civil behavior as the rest of us.
    It doesn't affect performance and the standards are higher....

  13. #43
    I would first like to say that I am pleased with Pedroia facing the media and speaking for the team.

    As far as Price is concerned, I won't excuse his behavior. That said, when he was first signed, a big part of his appeal was his supposed leadership and presence in the clubhouse. Also, throughout last season when he was not pitching up to expectations, he owned up to it. He never made excuses and usually said something along the lines of "I have to do better".

    It seems to me that comments during the postseason and offseason have somewhat embittered him to the Twitter crowd and the media. He reacted poorly.

    But I can't imagine that he has suddenly become a horrible teammate or less of leader.

  14. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    It's hard to see how this explains their performance. I can't imagine anyone going to the plate thinking, "I love Eck, thus I can't hit" or "Price really showed that guy ... I thus can't hit." I assume in baseball when you're at the plate, you're only thinking of yourself, not team 'chemistry'. The issue to me has nothing to do with performance. It's simply a question of whether multi-millionaire celebrities (in sports, entertainment, or government) are going to held to the same basic standards of civil behavior as the rest of us.
    The performance was already not up to expectations when this story resurfaced.

    However, I disagree that this type of media circus does not affect performance.

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    If Lance McCullers told Nolan Ryan to fuck off on an airplane, it'd be a story in Houston, too, so IMO, this isn't just about the swarming Boston media, the story has legit play. Who leaked the story to begin with, and why? Ooh, the intrigue.
    Several years ago, then Cubs manager Dusty Baker ripped color man Steve Stone on an airplane and complained about Stone to ownership. That was Stone's last season doing Cubs' games.

    Did you hear about it?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •