Register now to remove this ad

Page 114 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1806

Thread: A Realistic View at 2017 Part III

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    How many on this Roster is a bonafide Game Changing Superstar? Like a Lindor or a Harper? I got 1 Betts. I would listen to anyone on the others.
    Didn't want Stanton before, but I changed my mind. Team needs a big bat threat. 2 would even be better.
    You make too much sense.

Please stop. You will bruise egos.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudboy View Post
    Love JBJ but he will never hit as well as AM.

Up slope my ass.
    JBJ has been over .830 for two years before this. I doubt AM gets over 830 next year. I would not trade 3 cheap years of junior for 1 year of AM.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    How many on this Roster is a bonafide Game Changing Superstar? Like a Lindor or a Harper? I got 1 Betts. I would listen to anyone on the others.
    Didn't want Stanton before, but I changed my mind. Team needs a big bat threat. 2 would even be better.
    The answer would be absolutely none! Betts i guess comes the closest but really? I don't think so. No legit big hitting superstars here.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    How about Andrew Mcutchen. He is 30 and a good outfielder who can run and has some pop. Twenty Eight home runs this year and an OPS far in excess of what JBJ has produced.
    Someone is going to give McCutcheon a silly contract. Let it not be us.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Someone is going to give McCutcheon a silly contract. Let it not be us.
    The Pirates are expected to exercise the 2018 team option of $14.75 million on Andrew McCutchen:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...en-kluber.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ccutan01.shtml

McCutchen is unlikely to land a long-term contract this offseason.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    The Pirates are expected to exercise the 2018 team option of $14.75 million on Andrew McCutchen:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...en-kluber.html

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...ccutan01.shtml

McCutchen is unlikely to land a long-term contract this offseason.
    Fair enough, but when he does hit FA someone will dish out more than they get back in performance. And let's see if 2018 mysteriously turns out to be his best season to date. Funny how that seems to happen with so many guys.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We were a plus on overall base running this year, according to the numbers. I liked the "aggressive" philosophy, but I did feel like we had more than our fair share of bonehead mistakes. I'm sure making bonehead mistakes was not part of JF's philosophy, and I have been careful to separate slightly over aggressive decisions from blunders, but I do feel JF could have had a better influence on lessening the lack of focus mistakes.

Note: Fangraphs ranks us 10th on base running at +5.1.
    What does that ranking mean in regard to scoring runs?

The outfield is the strength of this team. I would not look to trade any of the young core. Look to the infield and aging/injured players. Cut Hanley loose. Keep the catcher combo we have. Pedroia is the toughest decision to face. He produces when relatively healthy, but he has trouble staying on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    What does that ranking mean in regard to scoring runs?
    The Red Sox scored an additional 5.1 runs above the average MLB team due to their base running.

To break it down even more, 1.4 of the runs came from things like advancing an extra base, scoring on a sac fly, etc., 4.2 of the runs came from stealing bases, and hitting in DPs cost the team 0.5 runs.

Quote Originally Posted by devildavid View Post
    The outfield is the strength of this team. I would not look to trade any of the young core. Look to the infield and aging/injured players. Cut Hanley loose. Keep the catcher combo we have. Pedroia is the toughest decision to face. He produces when relatively healthy, but he has trouble staying on the field.
    The big problem is we're very restricted financially. 'Cut Hanley loose' sounds nice, but we're paying him 22 million next year, so getting some value out of him would be better. And we're paying Pedey for several more years, so all you can do is cross your fingers for health.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The big problem is we're very restricted financially. 'Cut Hanley loose' sounds nice, but we're paying him 22 million next year, so getting some value out of him would be better. And we're paying Pedey for several more years, so all you can do is cross your fingers for health.
    I posted in another thread that it is very unrealistic to expect to be able to cut players loose when they are no longer playing up to their contract value, especially if there are still multiple years remaining on the contract. Cutting Pablo loose was no small task. I would not expect that to become the norm.

That said, with the luxury tax being reset, I think the team has more financial flexibility going into this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I understand that, but carrying Hanley really hampers improving the team. The Sox organization will not be put out of business financially by cutting Hanley. Take the hit and move on. Hanley adds no value to the team . Pedroia's situation is much more difficult. There is still good value left in him unless his health has crossed the point of no return , which I believe that Hanley's has.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The Red Sox scored an additional 5.1 runs above the average MLB team due to their base running.

To break it down even more, 1.4 of the runs came from things like advancing an extra base, scoring on a sac fly, etc., 4.2 of the runs came from stealing bases, and hitting in DPs cost the team 0.5 runs.
    So from that my guess is the team must have had a high stolen base success rate. Is there anything calculated about potential runs lost by running into outs on the bases?

Legend
    Cant cut Hanley because of his contract. Sox have to control his PA's. You cut him Sox still obligated to the wording of Contract, right? Which says he needs 1050 PA's, in 17 and 18 to vest for 19. Does it say it only has to be on the Sox? That's the question, I like to know.
    If not and I was a team I'd grab him in a heartbeat, pay him Vet Minimum, make sure he gets his PA's, let Sox pay his vesting year, and then only pay his Vet Minimum, for final year.
    This is a scenario that could happen, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    The answer would be absolutely none! Betts i guess comes the closest but really? I don't think so. No legit big hitting superstars here.
    If we are talking the 2017 Betts, I agree.

The 2016 Betts only had 16 players hit for a better OPS and 25 with more HRs. He also "changes the game" with excellent defense and very good base running.

He was 3rd in WAR last year. He certainly made a big difference in 2016.

Even with the "off year" in 2017, here are the WAR rankings for 2016-2017 combined:

16.1 Trout
    15.1 Bryant
    14.3 Altuve
    13.3 Betts
    13.1 Seager
    12.6 Donaldson
    12.1 Lindor
    11.7 Votto
    11.6 Rendon
    11.3 Ramirez
    11.0 Turner
    11.0 Arenado