Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Old BUT New

Old BUT New

If there is anything better in life than hanging out with Sox fans and being up to my ears in Sox talk, I would like to know what it is. :-) I am a 71 year old youngster who didn't start life as a baseball fan by rooting for Boston. (Lower) Fairfield (CT) county tends to support NY teams ( No NOT the Yankees at least for me). As a nine year old, in the days of black & white TV and Saturday or Sunday (or both) double-headers, my first home was Ebetts Field with the likes of Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Duke Snider, Pee Wee Reese, Roy Companella, Gil Hodges, Don Zimmer {you must know him} etc.. The Evil Empire was evil x 10 in those days; with the Bronx Buttheads seeming to have a permanent grip on the World Series. We thought we had died and gone to heaven when the Dodgers won the World Series in '55.
    The Dodgers moved to LaLaLand; and Fenway (with it's angles, crazy a**ed fans who hated NY, and an atmosphere that always smelled and looked like old time baseball) opened it's doors and said "Have we got a deal for you young man." I have never looked back. It (being a Sox fan and having a home like Fenway) feels just as good today as it did many, many years ago. :-)

Good story.

Go Sox!

Where in Fairfield county? I grew up in Stamford....
    My dad was a Brooklyn fan as well. He was in limbo for a minute after the move to lala land before hooking on to the mets. I just couldn't and have always loved our Sox...
    other names i have posted under: none

Slasher9 from Stamford

Grew up in Bridgeport in the North End. Small capes side by side. Right in front of my house two streets connected creating a natural four corners. And that meant stick ball from dawn to dusk all summer long every summer. Those were the days when you could go 4-5 blocks away on Halloween; and come home with a couple of paper shopping bags filled to the brim with candy. No parents ever worried, even after dark, because all the adults, no matter where you were, looked out for the kids like they were their own. I remember Stamford H.S. had some good football teams when I was in high school(64-68).

Super, Duper Moderator Youk Of The Nation's Avatar
    In order to be welcoming and polite, I will refrain from saying all of the things about Bridgeport that I would normally want to say as a resident of literally any other town in Connecticut. You know what I mean!

Seriously though, welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by YANKEESRULE View Post
    Yea got hand it to the Sox, they just could not go queitly into the night. Well, they are just post-poning the inevitable.
    - From the 2004 ALCS Game 4 Gamethread. A reminder that no game is over until the final out is recorded, and things will always get better. Misspellings unchanged as a reminder that Yankees fans are just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Youk Of The Nation View Post
    In order to be welcoming and polite, I will refrain from saying all of the things about Bridgeport that I would normally want to say as a resident of literally any other town in Connecticut. You know what I mean!

Seriously though, welcome!
    Same rule applies for me.

Welcome aboard, sir. Before too long, I'll probably make you feel even older, but that's okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Absolutely!! I know what you mean. I don't know how old you are; but there was a Bridgeport that I could take bus to, at six in the evening, at 11 years old with my Grandmother; and all off the stores were open and full of people. The restaurants and the streets were full of people (many parents with kids). The same Bridgeport had the Ringling Bros.,Barnum & Bailey Circus every summer in Seaside Park with 3-4 big canvas tents (including the Big Top), elephants tied on the side of one tent eating, open cages with lions and tigers and bears (OH NO!!). I could go on and on. But as you know (and most of the rest of us) it became typical of many American cities that have have had the life squeezed out of them by years of political mismanagement and other stresses.
    I was in Chicago last summer with my wife and children. An absolutely beautiful city with the highest murder rate in the country. On a bus tour, the host pointed out the federal prison in the middle of downtown; and said. "The last four mayors of this city have spent time there." Anyway, thank you for the welcome; and we know that there is love in the world...it's inside Fenway Park; and in the hearts and minds of Sox fans. GO SOX!!! BEAT OAKLAND!!! And know it for sure that THE YANKEES STILL SUCK!!! :-)

I don't know if the love exists inside Fenway... Just ask Adam Jones... But yeah, I get what you mean. I'm from Hebron by the way, up in Tolland County, next to Glastonbury and Manchester, if you've heard of those. As you can see in my signature, I'm a freshman at UConn, so I'm 18, almost 19, meaning I was barely born before Y2K, and don't remember a time before 9/11, which on a day like today, is extra significant.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you