Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sale

Hybrid View

Sale

Back when Sale was acquired I remember there was quite a bit of talk as to his previous seasons' performances as being superlative in the first half of the season and fading in the second half of the season.

Perhaps there is something to those comments. Maybe because he goes deep into most of his games, by the end of the season he is running out of gas.

Sale is 2-3 with a 4.64 ERA in his last six starts after going 14-4 with a 2.51 ERA in his first 24 starts.

They should try to rest him the next week or so. Get him fresh for the playoffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Major Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    They should try to rest him the next week or so. Get him fresh for the playoffs.
    Agreed. I think he should make all his starts, but get out early. Price and Smith both need some innings under their belt before playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwell View Post
    Agreed. I think he should make all his starts, but get out early. Price and Smith both need some innings under their belt before playoffs.
    Be nice if they could, but if the Yankees stay hot, they may not have that luxury.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Unfortunately this happens to quite a # of pitchers You hate to see it but they are human and by the second half of the season they start getting burnt out. Not to mention the 2nd half of the season is when teams go full pelt and give you absolutely everything they have to try and make a run at the playoffs. Being burnt out and getting the team's very best can be a lot for some pitchers. Sale was putting up near god like numbers in the first half of the season. It's unfortunate that he has come down from those numbers quite a bit but it is what it is. I hope he has a great outing tonight and gets some rest heading into the playoffs. At this point I just care how he performs in the Playoffs. Hopefully tonight will give him a bit of mojo.

So he goes tonight, off day tomorrow. Do you have him go on normal rest, meaning he would pitch Monday and a week from Saturday? He would then be set up to pitch games 1 and 5 of the ALDS.

Or do you keep the rotation intact, meaning he pitches Tuesday and then is set up if there's a meaningful game on Sunday, Oct 1. If he goes on the 1st for more than a couple innings, he probably is only available for Game 2 of the ALDS (ALDS starts on the 5th).
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    So he goes tonight, off day tomorrow. Do you have him go on normal rest, meaning he would pitch Monday and a week from Saturday? He would then be set up to pitch games 1 and 5 of the ALDS.

Or do you keep the rotation intact, meaning he pitches Tuesday and then is set up if there's a meaningful game on Sunday, Oct 1. If he goes on the 1st for more than a couple innings, he probably is only available for Game 2 of the ALDS (ALDS starts on the 5th).
    I say normal rest and maybe if we have a huge lead get him out of there after 4 innings or something like that. Long rest periods can be good but you also don't want a pitcher going cold as well. Sale has been pretty consistent with his pitching this year and hasn't had any time off or anything like that. Sometimes you mess with that groove and it can throw a pitcher off. It's hard to say..... Although it's not like he has been super great lately anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post

I wouldn't have pitched him tonight. I'd have given him 2 extra days rest, and then 1 or 2 extra here on out.

We need him to be rested and strong for game 1.

Legend
    I wouldn't have pitched him tonight. I'd have given him 2 extra days rest, and then 1 or 2 extra here on out.

If we do not win the ALE there is only going to be one game.

Who would you have started tonight?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Joe Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Moreland.

No, seriously, anybody but Sale.

Maybe give Price 2 innings, Workman 2, Velazquez 2-3...

24 ERs in 25 IP from 5 of his last 10 starts doesn't concern you at all?

Do we want the Sale of the first 20 starts variety?

Do we want the Sale from the last 10 starts variety?

I know that nothing is for certain. We could have rested him 1-2 days extra for his last 10 starts and still see him get lit up game 1 on October 5th, but with his long history of fading late, I'm going to go with giving him some added rest and figure it should help.

This
    other names i have posted under: none

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    This