Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 9/26 Vs. Toronto

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    You can't even get the thesis right.

1. Sale has alternated great and horrible starts since August 1. http://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx...603&position=P LOOK AT THAT GAME LOG AND TELL ME IT'S NOT A THING.

2. Sale has a history of wearing down over the course of the season.

3. Some posters think his innings may need to be managed in the 2nd half of the season.

4. Having Sale pitch a full 8 innings against a hapless O's lineup with a large lead is just dumb no matter what. After 5 innings, the Sox were up 6 - 0. There was little reason to keep trotting him out. The bullpen was firing on all cylinders at that time.

That one game is just indicative of Farrell not managing the situation well. It's not the sole reason he pitched bad last night.
    Sale alternated good and bad starts earlier in the season as well.

May was just as bad a month--also with 6 starts--as August, ERA of 4.24 vs. ERA 4.38.

His two best months, with ERA's of 1.19 and 1.04 were April and July, and his two worst months were May and August. September was in the middle, ERA-wise.

If you say Sale was wearing down in August, how do you explain May? Or, for that matter, how do you explain a better ERA in September than in August and that on September 9 and again on September 20 he pitched shut out ball? Also, how do you explain shutting down the Jays for 7 innings (with 11 K's and zero walks) on August 29 when he was in the middle of this 60 day decline?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    also, max, because JF left him in for all those extra needless pitches we will NEVER KNOW the outcome of pulling him early. we will know the outcome of leaving him in. perhaps he would 5 CG shutouts in the postseason had he not thrown those 41 pitches. we will never know because JF is an idiot.
    Farrell is no idiot. But I would be disingenuous if I did not admit that even I might have pulled Sale early on September 20 even though Sale absolutely did not want to come out. It may not have been necessary, but it would have been sensible. I'm not sure I buy the 41 pitches--28 would be more like it. Pull him after 6. Give Sale the extra shutout inning--a nice compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    So we will be three games up with five to play. At the end of the day I would rather be three games up on the Yankees than in their position of being three games down, injuries be damned.
    That's exactly right. No one is happy with losing the last two while the Yankees won, but the odds are still stacked heavily in our favor.

That said, it would be really nice if we could close this out and be done with it.

Deity
    Last night's win was absolutely, positively huge. I had little faith in Pom and said so, but I actually looked forward to the game eagerly because I thought, "whatever else, I'm watching a big game, and the outcome if far from a foregone conclusion." Hell, it was like an early postseason game because a lot was at stake.

I was so mad at Porcello after the first innings I couldn't stop commenting on the game thread. The 1 run in the 1st helped, and the three in the 2d said clearly this was not Tuesday night's team. At that point I also began defending Farrell for leaving Porcello in,which proved to be the right decision if only because Porcello is still an option for the postseason rotation.

espn's idiotic headline for the game says we won because of Pedey. But in fact it was Bogie who pulled a Betts, first scoring from 1b on a single
    and then driving in 3 with the dinger. HanRam not too shabby either. Heck, 13 hits and 10 runs has lots of heroes.

So tonight another in-season playoff game. As Kimmi says, you gotta like our situation right now. The Astros won't roll over, but I like our chances for at least 1 and maybe 2 wins. So the Yankees pretty much have to win out--no mean feat.