Register now to remove this ad

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Should DD be fired?

DD sold off the farm and built this team around winning the next 3-5 years from 2017 on. Now we can have impending cliff talks all day long but he at least gets to see how this team plays out. We've had two 1st place finishes and as far as I'm concerned he gets two more years before we even ask this question.....and this is coming from a guy who hasn't 100% agreed with his organizational philosophy.

Legend
    DD is doing what John Henry wants. If Henry did not want Dombrowski to cash in the farm, then it would not be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by sk7326 View Post
    DD is doing what John Henry wants. If Henry did not want Dombrowski to cash in the farm, then it would not be happening.
    I agree, Ben C. probably had his support at some point when Henry wanted to build the farm up and help rebuild the teams future. He decided to cash in and figured DD was the guy who had the better track record with more experience in that department. DD (at least up until this point) has had the full support of Henry, otherwise he wouldn't be here.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Theo did admit, "We made mistakes with free agency", so I think he was on board with Offerman, Manny, Lugo, CC, Lackey and the AGon trade and extension.
    Theo made his share of mistakes. I'm not sure he was on board with all of those signings, but what is he going to say?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I certainly agree about Theo, but I'm not sure there's enough evidence to say exactly how Ben operates. If Larry was making so many moves, then Ben was kind of a puppet. And it's important to note that Ben has not had any other experience as a GM to evaluate him on.
    Ben should have been given a chance to see his 5 year plan come to fruition. Perhaps Ben was a puppet when it came to the 'splashy' signings, because his hands were tied there. I don't think he was a puppet when it came to building the farm, or when it came to lesser FA signings such at Gomes or Napoli.

In other words, Larry gets the blame for all the bad stuff. Ben gets credit for the good.

Quote Originally Posted by A Red Sox fan named Hugh View Post
    DD sold off the farm and built this team around winning the next 3-5 years from 2017 on. Now we can have impending cliff talks all day long but he at least gets to see how this team plays out. We've had two 1st place finishes and as far as I'm concerned he gets two more years before we even ask this question.....and this is coming from a guy who hasn't 100% agreed with his organizational philosophy.
    FTR, I don't think Dombrowski should be fired for the job he has done so far, and have posted that previously. I just don't think he should have been hired in the first place. He has assembled what should be a contending team for the duration of the window. What happens in the playoffs is out of his control.

Henry needs to stop acting or reacting in panic mode.

I get what you're saying, but I really don't think Henry wanted Dombrowski to cash in the farm. I think Henry gave the order to Dombrowski to get the team back into the playoffs, and I think Henry allowed Dombrowski pretty much free reign to get the job done how he seemed fit. My problem with Dombrowski is that I think he could have gotten the team back into the playoffs without trading away the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    While neither criticizing nor praising John Henry, one has to recognize the fact the he has been very successful in every thing he has done by acting and reacting exactly the way he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Being a reactionary with absolutely no plan and zero forethought is not Henry's job.

But it does perfectly describe desperate dave's operational strategy!

Deity
    The Red Six went 93-69 and won the AL East in back-to-back seasons. They then fired the manager, which many fans wanted. Now some want to also fire the general manager. And get rid of the second baseman. And shortstop. And the DH. And the hitting coach.

And get two new power bats.

Does the team have to go 162-0 before fans think "maybe a little tweaking?" If the Sox were 161-1, alot of people would be calling for Farrell to be canned. And probably Dombrowski too...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Red Six went 93-69 and won the AL East in back-to-back seasons. They then fired the manager, which many fans wanted. Now some want to also fire the general manager. And get rid of the second baseman. And shortstop. And the DH. And the hitting coach.

Does the team have to go 162-0 before fans think "maybe a little tweaking?" If the Sox were 161-1, alot of people would be calling for Farrell to be canned. And probably Dombrowski too...
    I don't think anyone wants all of those together.

Each one, by themselves, are not too wild and cray.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post

For clarification purposes only:

Yes, I think desperate dave should be kicked to the curb before he can do anymore damage.

I wanted to keep Farrell. I thought he did a decent job.

I want pedroia to get his knee operated on and come back healthy next season or in 2019. I am sick of watching him trying to play through injuries instead of going to the dl. As a sunsetter, he had to learn that when he is not 100 percent, he is JAG.

I am ok with bogey staying. But someone has to light a fire under all our young non catching hitters and get them to realize the goal of sports is to win! None of our young non catching hitters have a fire to compete. They don't care about winning and that can not be tolerated. No more zombies!!!

As for Hanley, same as pedroia.

Finally chilli. As a hitting coach, he is JAG.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I don't think anyone wants all of those together.

Each one, by themselves, are not too wild and cray.
    I agree that virtually no one has asked for all of these things together so misrepresenting it to be that way isn't helpful.

If Pedey has surgery, he might well be lost for the season.

Farrell was fired because despite our improvement, after 5 years, it didn't appear that the team could make the next jump with teams like Cleveland, the Yankees and the Astros already ahead of us. A reasonable approach to attempt to get better but the decision could go either way.

The hitting this year saw many of the most important guys doing worse than expected. Chili Davis is not gone but probably will be as the new manager will want his own guys. A new hitting coach may well change the plate approach of some of the guys and perhaps Bogey will work to change his swing mechanics. I welcome the idea of a different hitting coach.

Clearly changes to our infield need to be considered. Devers was horrible defensively this year so it is reasonable to think of a long term position for a guy who they expect to physically mature into a somewhat heavier player. He either needs to solve his defensive lacking or move to 1st base. Pedey could spend time on the DL or if he has surgery might sit for the year. In that caqse, we need a second baseman or supersub who can hit. Nunez was one but there are others. We definitely need a power bat in the lineup. Whether at 1st or 3rd is the question to be resolved. I think Bogey will do but his problems revolve around his offense. See new swing mechanics for him.

If Cora comes in as manager we are likely to get a young manager who has Red Sox experience and recent exposure to the Astros way. Sounds good to me. He will have some say in retaining or replacing his coaching staff. Some of the current staff may also choose to take positions elsewhere. I hope that the dust settles on that early so they can form a cohesive team before the Spring Training.

Finally, I would expect Cora (if him), Dombroski and the staff evaluate each player and decide who they keep and who will be traded or replaced and then take action accordingly. The pitching staff, long term catching, Center field, utility players all need futher consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I am ok with bogey staying. But someone has to light a fire under all our young non catching hitters and get them to realize the goal of sports is to win! None of our young non catching hitters have a fire to compete. They don't care about winning and that can not be tolerated. No more zombies!!!
    Betts, Benintendi, Devers were zombies who don't care about winning?

You're too far over the top to take seriously.