Register now to remove this ad

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Should DD be fired?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    As much as I dislike Farrell as a manager he did get them through to the ALE Division title overcoming some serious obstacles along the way. The fundamental problem with this team is well beyond Farrell. The team was poorly constructed from the outset offensively. To replace Ortiz they relied on a fading oft injured mercurial Hanley Ramirez who is doing his best to mimic Manny Ramirez in his declining years. Betts, Bogaerts, Pedroia, Benintendi and Bradley are essentially the same type of hitters who even at their best do not intimidate any opposing pitchers. The entire team from time to time suffers from a lack of focus which can best be attributed to their collective inexperience and the lack of a strong positive clubhouse leader instead they have the chronic whiner and sourpuss Price.

Yes Farrell has some of the blame but this is DD's team. He has made some solid moves to shore up the pitching especially in the bullpen but now he needs to turn his attention to the offense. I for one hope they do a complete rethink on their approach toward hitting to reflect the changes in the game with the advent of the widespread use of the defensive shift and power arms in virtually every bullpen.
    To be fair to DD, I believe he was under financial constriants this year and had to forego any attempt at a high priced big bat this year. That definitely impacted the team as none of our hitters looked that threatening this year.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    To be fair to DD, I believe he was under financial constriants this year and had to forego any attempt at a high priced big bat this year. That definitely impacted the team as none of our hitters looked that threatening this year.
    He may have been. It may well turn out to be that he has a master plan. After all Rome wasn't built in a day as they say. Nevertheless, I believe that the Sox need to take a fresh approach toward hitting and develop a more aggressive approach a la the Astros.

Legend
    He may have been. It may well turn out to be that he has a master plan. After all Rome wasn't built in a day as they say. Nevertheless, I believe that the Sox need to take a fresh approach toward hitting and develop a more aggressive approach a la the Astros.
    Totally agree with you on that one. Thats why I have been recommending going a different way with the hitting coach. Results matter and ours were visibly poor for most of the year. Taking two piches on the plate and swinging one off the plate is not a successful strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Totally agree with you on that one. Thats why I have been recommending going a different way with the hitting coach. Results matter and ours were visibly poor for most of the year. Taking two piches on the plate and swinging one off the plate is not a successful strategy.
    Boy you said !!! My wife and I scream at the TV. That old strategy may have worked ten years ago. But with today's bullpens every team has relievers who throw 95 or better.

Boy you said !!! My wife and I scream at the TV. That old strategy may have worked ten years ago. But with today's bullpens every team has relievers who throw 95 or better.
    Yep, hitting strategy needs to change to adapt to changes to today's bullpens.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Swinging at first pitches could be a start.

Adding at least one big bat would be another priority.
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

Despite an early exit that may or may not occur, the team won 93 games, won the AL East, and had a +117 run differential. As frustrating as the offense has been for most of the season, the team was not seriously flawed or poorly built. Dombrowski focused on pitching and defense rather than offense, and there is really is nothing wrong with that. The 'formula' worked.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    I believe that one day when the onion is peeled back, we will learn that Larry was pulling the strings on his puppet Ben from the day Theo left/Ben hired to the day Larry was fired.

Everything from valentine to Sandoval smells of Larry.
    Seriously - Who gives a shit about these fucking stuffed shirts? Let's all vote for our favorite GM - big fucking deal. You people that claim to know what so and so's plan is fry my ass. If you know what anyone's real plan is, tell me who your are. If you are not closely affiliated with upper management, then you don't know shit. I'm still a Lou Gorman fan - so sue me.

Legend
    What was the run differential on teams over .500? Anybody have any idea? Because when you go to Post-Season, that's all you'll be facing.
    For that matter wonder what was our W-L record against teams over .500 this year?
    Last edited by OH FOY!; 10-07-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OH FOY! View Post
    What was the run differential on teams over .500? Anybody have any idea? Because when you go to Post-Season, that's all you'll be facing.
    For that matter wonder what was our W-L record against teams over .500?
    Our run differential against teams over .500 was +10. We had positive run differentials against the Cubs, Indians, Twins, and Cardinals. We had negative run differentials against the Astros, Brewers, and Yankees. It's interesting to note that only 50 of our games were against teams that ended up over .500, Our W-L record against them was 27-23.

So yes, most of our 'damage' was done against below .500 teams, but I think that would be the case with any of the contenders. And we ended up in the good on both differential and W-L record.

Legend
    Thank you.

lol
    "Hating the Yankees like it's a religion since 94'" RIP Mike.

"It's also a simple and indisputable fact that WAR isn't the be-all end-all in valuations, especially in real life. Wanna know why? Because an ace in run-prevention for 120 innings means more often than not, a sub-standard pitcher covering for the rest of the IP that pitcher fails to provide. You can't see value in a vacuum when a player does not provide full-time production."

We aren't firing anyone. We don't need a new approach for our hitters because that is what they are. We don't need to win games with homeruns instead of driving in runs. The team won the ALE so it wasn't poorly constructed. We won many games off off of other teams bullpens, and taking pitches made that happen.

What we need is one damn starter to show up in the playoffs a couple of games.

There is no way to manage our Ace who fades months before the playoffs.........
    Last edited by SoxHop; 10-07-2017 at 09:18 PM.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    We aren't firing anyone. We don't need a new approach for our hitters because that is what they are. We don't need to win games with homeruns instead of driving in runs. The team won the ALE so it wasn't poorly constructed. We won many games off off of other teams bullpens, and taking pitches made that happen.

What we need is one damn starter to show up in the playoffs a couple of games.

There is no way to manage our Ace who fades months before the playoffs.........
    Well said.

Also can we stop with the "this team isn't built to win in the post-season BS"? It's never made sense ever.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    That was his best trade.
    There is a lot that could go wrong with the trade. For example, Sale could go on the DL with an elbow issue in 2018, and go under the knife, while Kopech could develop into a dominant starter by 2019 and Moncada could be a perennial All Star. It'll take a few years before we can reach a definitive conclusion.
    Last edited by Fan_since_Boggs; 10-08-2017 at 02:29 AM.